Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

Trivia Question- Who was rated best TE last year by PFF?

Who was rated as the NFL's #1 overall tight end last year by PFF?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who was rated as the NFL's #1 overall tight end last year by PFF?

• Vernon Davis
    • Rob Gronkowski
    • Jimmy Graham
    • Charles Clay
    • Tony Gonzalez
    • Kyle Rudolph
    • Ben Hartsock
    • Greg Olsen
    • Antonio Gates
    • Jason Witten
    • Jordan Cameron
    • Jordan Reed
    • Heath Miller
    • Zach Miller
    • Julius Thomas
    • Owen Daniels

I found an interesting fact.

Take a guess. I'm not going to vote since I know.

Edited by Thanatos19

Heath* or Witten... They tend to put a ton of value on blocking.

Actually, I do know who it is, I was poking fun at that a while back on a different site. haha.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

I have a sneaking suspicion that it's Greg Olsen.

Hartsock is the outlier. My instinct is to go with said outlier.

If not him I'll take Olsen or Davis.

Edited by Chernobyl426

It's Hartsock, due to his ridiculous blocking grade. Which is A. why PFF's grades are awful, and B. if you're going to use their grades, at least look at their sectioned out grades.

Ben wears his heart on his sock.

It's Hartsock, due to his ridiculous blocking grade. Which is A. why PFF's grades are awful, and B. if you're going to use their grades, at least look at their sectioned out grades.

Their refusal to weight different skillsets totally wrecks their overall grades. Basically worthless. They weight everything equally on the argument that "they don't want to make that call." But they're still making a statement... they're saying everything a player does that they score is equally valuable. And that's wrong, rendering their scores worthless.

I think it's the right call though, honestly. I am not saying I agree that all skill sets are of equal value... But why should they be the ones to arbitrarily weight it? They should grade them equally and allow those of us who look at them to decide how to weight or look at the stats.

• Upvote 1

I think it's the right call though, honestly. I am not saying I agree that all skill sets are of equal value... But why should they be the ones to arbitrarily weight it? They should grade them equally and allow those of us who look at them to decide how to weight or look at the stats.

If they don't want to even try to weight them so they reflect reality, then they should get rid of overall scores. Because as it is, they're a joke. I'm not saying they could easily strike a perfect balance, but they could very easily get a lot better.

I'll just confirm that it is Ben Hartsock, who is currently out of a job.

I just thought it was interesting and an example of PFF not being the awesome and infallible site it is often billed as by some of the hardcore fans.

Dunno about everyone else, but I mainly used it for their stats, not their grades.

• Upvote 1

Dunno about everyone else, but I mainly used it for their stats, not their grades.

That's what they offer that's of value.

I'll just confirm that it is Ben Hartsock, who is currently out of a job.

I just thought it was interesting and an example of PFF not being the awesome and infallible site it is often billed as by some of the hardcore fans.

PFF is awesome for it's stats. It offers stats you can't get much of anywhere else.

Also confused about why Hartsock is jobless. A good blocking TE is a nice thing to have.

Yup, that's what I use it for.

Exactly.

But by setting everything equal they are weighting the categories, and what's really wrong with them assigning weights to the categories in their rankings? They're the ones making the rankings, weighting everything the same just seems lazy to me.

Edited by oochymp

But by setting everything equal they are weighting the categories, and what's really wrong with them assigning weights to the categories in their rankings? They're the ones making the rankings, weighting everything the same just seems lazy to me.

Because weighting the categories depends on how much value you place in those categories. In this case, it comes down to how much you value blocking from the TE position. PFF is a great resource, but just going by the raw rankings isn't the way to go.

Because weighting the categories depends on how much value you place in those categories. In this case, it comes down to how much you value blocking from the TE position. PFF is a great resource, but just going by the raw rankings isn't the way to go.

But what's wrong with PFF deciding how much they value each skill for purposes of their rankings? Especially considering that by weighting every category the same they have decided how much they value each skill, deciding that all are equal, which happens to be probably the only configuration that everyone would agree is wrong.

But what's wrong with PFF deciding how much they value each skill for purposes of their rankings? Especially considering that by weighting every category the same they have decided how much they value each skill, deciding that all are equal, which happens to be probably the only configuration that everyone would agree is wrong.

Because I think they want to remain as objective as possible, considering that their rankings are already subjective by nature. It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually did some research to determine which categories should be weighted to a certain degree.

They do weight them... equally. And for that reason, they're useless. If they don't want to make those calls, that's cool. But then they shouldn't make them. Right now, they're saying they don't want to decide how important different skills are, so they respond by deciding how important all skills are (i.e. that they're all equally valuable). And the end result is that the overall scores are worthless. If they really don't want to make the call, then they need to get rid of overall grades and just let people compile their own picture from the categories.

To be fair. .. he is the premier open field blocking TE in football... an underrated facet of team success from the TE position. Not saying id take him over some of the others... id say hes ideally best #2/3 TE in NFL. :) hell wind up with da bears... watch