Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

NFL wants Super Bowl halftime performers to pay for the privilege

Posted by Mike Florio on August 19, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT

As it has grown and grown and grown some more, the NFL has continued to find more and more and more revenue streams.

The latest could be the Super Bowl halftime show. Currently a gig the performer plays for free in order to turn a gigantic international platform into the high profile and profits that go with it, the league now wants a cut.

According to the Wall Street Journal (via SportsBusiness Daily), the NFL has asked the three artists under consideration for the Super Bowl XLIX halftime show to “contribute a portion of their post-Super Bowl tour income” to the NFL, or to “make some other type of financial contribution.” Per the report, the idea received a “chilly reception” from the representatives of Katy Perry, Rihanna, and Coldplay.

Regardless, it only takes one performer to bite the hook in order for the NFL to parlay the halftime show into even more of a moneymaker. And it’s entirely possible that the league leaked the development in order to pressure one of the three to blink, given that plenty of other performers who would gladly give up a piece of a pie they otherwise don’t have will now be calling the league to offer whatever the league wants for the privilege of playing to one of the biggest audiences in TV history.

Source: ProFootballTalk

Edited by BLUE

Greedy fuckin' bastards. :yao:

• Upvote 2

We're going to be stuck with Katy Perry, Rihanna, or Coldplay? Ewwwwww.

I'm all for it if someone much more tolerable is willing to pony up. :laugh:

We're going to be stuck with Katy Perry, Rihanna, or Coldplay? Ewwwwww.

If it comes down to those three, hopefully it's Katy Perry. At least she is easy on the eyes.

• Upvote 1

If it comes down to those three, hopefully it's Katy Perry. At least she is easy on the eyes.

Yeah, I have no problem with a Katy Perry halftime show. That is one bad ass woman.

i could do katy perry

So, basically they're guaranteeing that the halftime show will continue to be irrelevant, unwatchable shit.

• Upvote 2

And she'll probably wear something--shall we say--revealing? So I'm down.

And she'll probably wear something--shall we say--revealing? So I'm down.

Hope so! My girlfriend is a big fan of hers. (what chick isn't?) We saw her perform in Houston a few years ago. Let's just say I enjoyed the show, because of her wardrobe decisions. :megusta:

• Upvote 1

I would pay money to the NFL if they dropped the Super Bowl halftime spectacle or merely produced one that wasn't a complete waste of time.

• Upvote 2

Halftime to me is stretch out, wizz, refill drink and food and wait for the action to start again. I do watch whatever is remaining, but why can't the NFL come up with something that appeals to a broader audience? The Bands can't please everyone. Come up with some thing more entertaining.

• Upvote 1