Maverick

Official Soccer Thread

USA did work last night. :yep:

Colombia's turn. :rock:

yeah, Argentina would be tough anyway, but not having Wood and Jones, but also Bedoya is gonna be tough, it'll be interesting to see who replaces those three (I think we've had the same starting XI in all four games) and if anyone else can step up

Don't sleep on Peru tonight bois

Ck6r6S7.gif

• Upvote 1

Whew, that was crazy last night.

Mexico. :mjlaugh:

Semis of the Copa America are set. Colombia vs. Chile and Argentina vs. USA.

I got Colombia and Argentina in the finals.

Mexico. :mjlaugh:

and people were talking about them as championship contenders after their first game :rog:

Portugal isn't obscenely stacked like Real Madrid and he is a bitch boy.

And a tiny man. :yep:

Loved every minute of that Mexico game.

Hoping we don't get crushed by Messi & co...

I will be honest, yes we should have won the group. We beat the hardest opponent and drew the other two game but I haven't seen an England team that dominant in possession in all my time watching the national team. Dier has been amazing the whole tournament and Rooney actually looks good in midfield.

Also England get the runner up from the Portugal group. That has looked the worse group so far at the Euros, honestly not come out badly results wise.

Everyone is parking the bus against England. Once you face more confident teams, I think we'll see a difference in play and score lines. Completely agree though, Rooney & Dier have been absolute class. Well done to Wales to win the group though. Albania also has a shot of making the round of 16...really cool to see.

^lots of liverpool and spurs players in this england team.

WE THE BEST BRUH

There are four Euro games today? Wow. Spain vs Croatia should be a good one. Love Rakitic<33

I will be honest, yes we should have won the group. We beat the hardest opponent and drew the other two game but I haven't seen an England team that dominant in possession in all my time watching the national team. Dier has been amazing the whole tournament and Rooney actually looks good in midfield.

Also England get the runner up from the Portugal group. That has looked the worse group so far at the Euros, honestly not come out badly results wise.

Everyone is parking the bus against England. Once you face more confident teams, I think we'll see a difference in play and score lines. Completely agree though, Rooney & Dier have been absolute class. Well done to Wales to win the group though. Albania also has a shot of making the round of 16...really cool to see.

They look decent but they'll still lose on PKs in the quarterfinals :yao:

• Upvote 1

USA gon be ded tonight?

yeah, I'm really just hoping we make it a game and don't pull a Mexico

• Upvote 1

Ouch USA... :(

Colombia-Chile tonight should be a good game. :yep:

All things considered I'm actually not mad about last night's result. First off, we've met the highest expectations anyone reasonably had for this tournament. Second, we were playing the top team in the world and they are very motivated in this tournament given recent tournament results. Third, we were playing without our best two offensive facilitators.

That third point to me is the most important, but it seems to be getting ignored in a lot of the overall postgame coverage. (most decent soccer coverage is pointing it out, but when they cover soccer in 30 seconds on ESPN that gets glossed over) Would having Jones and Wood have changed the outcome? Probably not, there were some major defensive lapses that Argentina exploited, as they will, and Jones and Wood probably wouldn't have helped those. But we might have had some semblance of an attack, most likely would not have finished the game with no shots on goal, and might have gotten one or two on the board. I can't help but compare it to Game 5 of the NBA Finals when ESPN spent hours talking about whether Draymond should have been suspended and how much different the game could have been with him in the lineup, Jones and Wood are at least as important to the USMNT as currently constituted. FWIW, not having Bedoya hurt too, but only so far as any disruption to the starting lineup will, I think Zusi is an adequate replacement there, but we didn't have anyone on the bench who can replicate Jones or Wood.

I do have to question the decision to start Dempsey and Wondo up top, both are very good finishers, but neither is really that good at creating chances, that's what we lost in not having Jones and Wood out there.

Edited by oochymp