Maverick

Official Soccer Thread

Not shook at all actually. Colombia outplayed Chile after the first 10 minutes... unfortunately those first 10 minutes decided the game. No shame in losing to a team like Chile.

• Upvote 1

Not shook at all actually. Colombia outplayed Chile after the first 10 minutes... unfortunately those first 10 minutes decided the game. No shame in losing to a team like Chile.

Chile is the defending Copa champs :yep:

Victor Wanyama to Spurs

Not a bad signing that, Camp

Yeah man just hoping it isn't another Willian situation where he passes the medical and you're thinking he's with Spurs but suddenly he's with Chelsea those rich bastards :lol:

But he's a crucial signing with Moose being suspended for first 4 matches of the EPL season. Losing Dembele for the final handful of games along with Dele Alli was a huge reason Spurs sputtered at the end and ended up in 3rd. They need that type of presence back there with Eric Dier and Wanyama is the perfect guy. Kenyan team captain too. Also would be interesting to see once Dembele comes back if he can spell Dier in Dier's role because Dier played way too much last year and now has played in international duty his body has to be hurting.

Spurs need to load up in midfield for Champions League, you need the depth for rotation to stay up in both EPL and CL. Wanyama is the first piece I'd expect more to come.

They're also linked to two young strikers for much needed backup to Harry Kane:

According to a report in the Daily Mirror, Tottenham Hotspur want to complete deals for both Vincent Janssen and Antonio Sanabria.

Janssen, who currently plays for AZ Alkmaar, and Sanabria, who is plying his trade for Roma, are both on Mauricio Pochettino’s wishlist as he looks to bolster his Spurs squad.

Tottenham are already in talks with Sanabria, with the 20-year-old striker on the verge of a move worth £11.5 million.

Spurs are also optimistic of completing a transfer for Janssen, for a fee of around £12 million.

Edited by CampinWithTheBoysInTheBoat

as y'all know I'm a big believer in the "Expected Goal" metric of Michael Caley, here's his xG and xGA (Expected Goals Against) breakdown of the Euro's so far: Kinda shows ya which teams have performed the best so far.

Clpy0uCWEAAYnPj.jpg

Northern Ireland giving NO FUCKS about Michael Caley's metric though :yao:

Edited by CampinWithTheBoysInTheBoat

USA blew so many chances.

So with this BRexit. How fucked are Premier Soccer teams?

Poland and Germany in the quarterfinals. Poland could make a good run of it into the semifinals, I feel they can definitely take Portugal.

Lionel Messi retires from Argentina after Copa America final loss to Chile - ESPN FC

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Barcelona star Lionel Messi might never play for Argentina again, after Sunday night's Copa America final loss to Chile.
Argentina lost 4-2 on penalties to Chile after a 0-0 draw in MetLife Stadium, and an emotional Messi said after the match that his career with the national team is over.
"My thinking right now and thinking about it in the locker room, I'm done playing with the national team," he told a group of reporters, including ESPN's Diego Monroig.
Asked if he were retiring, the 29-year old said, "I tried my hardest. It's been four finals, and I was not able to win. I tried everything possible. It hurts me more than anyone, but it is evident that this is not for me. I want more than anyone to win a title with the national team, but unfortunately, it did not happen."
Messi, who lost the 2014 World Cup final and three Copa America finals while playing for Argentina, was then asked if he would wear his country's shirt again.
"I don't think so," he said. "I've thought about it. Like I said earlier, I tried everything possible to win. And that's it. It's four finals lost."
Now that Messi has gone on record with his intention to end his international career, several of his long-time international colleagues could follow. Sources have told ESPN's Diego Monroig that Sergio Aguero, Javier Mascherano and Lucas Biglia are also planning to retire. Additionally, Ever Banega, Ezequiel Lavezzi, Angel Di Maria and Gonzalo Higuain are also considering their international futures, according to multiple reports.

I can't help but wonder if this is just frustration talking, or if he's hoping the threat will force some changes in the AFA, which he's publicly criticized

• Upvote 1

The moment England leave Europe twice in one week. :troll:

• Upvote 2

lolJoeHart

Also, Mané is such an exciting player to watch. Southampton continues to get picked off by the bigger clubs. Liverpool bought a good one, he's just gotta fit in their side now as Liverpool has been notorious for just throwing cash without thinking about fit.

• Upvote 1

I've been wanting to post so much but I've been talking and texting about Copa and Euros so much I just haven't felt like typing out my thoughts for the zillionth time lol.

I feel bad for Messi. I can't imagine how depressing losing three finals in three years would be. If Ronaldo quit the national team after something like that, I'd probably be all over him for it so I kinda feel like I should knock Messi for quitting, but I feel like this situation is unique. The amount of pressure that country places on him is massive. Plus, as oochymp pointed out, he's had an issue with the AFA for a while now. Not to mention the POS Maradona who constantly criticizes Messi, then I read today has the balls to ask Messi to reconsider his decision. Since the tournament started he's already called Messi a bad leader and told the team not to return home if they lost. Great encouragement for your fellow countryman, dickhead.

But lolEngland. That's gotta be up there for most embarrassing lost ever. They lost to a team managed by a part-time dentist....Oh and I called Italy over Spain and Iceland over England. Got the text at 9am yesterday to prove it if necessary lol.

Damn right Camp! 30m is a bit high, but we got our player and I trust Klopp's decisions. I think he'll fit in just fine. Studge, Origi, Mane....DAT PACE.

35BFFBE700000578-3663792-image-a-42_1467

To be honest Mane is a good player but I'll say bye to him for 30 million. He is a very streaky player and goes missing over periods.

With Mane and Wanyama going Saints gain 41 million to spend. It will be interesting to see the progress.

Oh yeah, I definitely think things are different now with Klopp. Just in the past Liverpool (and Spurs for that matter) were known to just throw money at big names (Benteke, Soldado etc.) and they flop. But Klopp and Poch have seemed to changed all that for their respective clubs.

I loved watching Mane play. One of the dudes I'd tweet about more than most, very exciting player his acceleration is incredible. Reminded me of watching Bale at Spurs just suddenly speed past bros.

• Upvote 1

Id actually be interested to take a shot on Benteke if Saints could get him on the cheap.

He isn't a bad player at all just didn't fit Liverpools system in the slightest. With Pelle up front as a target man so long as we keep him, it would give Benteke a bit more licence around the box.

Also Saints are close to getting Claude Puel the Nice manager, he is a nice manager that ocus on youth. Has champions league experience with Lyon and got Nice to 4th last year. I like it if we get him

• Upvote 1

I know ya'll don't watch MLS, but holy shit last night was an amazing game from Bill Hamid, we ended up drawing at 1 but Real Salt Lake should have had at least 5 or 6 more that Bill just straight up robbed, he finished the game with 7 saves after facing 13 shots from inside the box

This tourney has been so poorly played. That Wales Portugal game was disgusting. These teams are so conservative and uncreative. Can't wait til club play starts.

• Upvote 1

This tourney has been so poorly played. That Wales Portugal game was disgusting. These teams are so conservative and uncreative. Can't wait til club play starts.

International ball is always clunkier due to the lack of chemistry unless a lot of the squad know each other and have for awhile like back in Spain's reign but that also had to do with their Tiki-Taka possession style which shook up Europe and lots of teams have tried to emulate to good or bad results.

It's funny though, Americans mostly only watch International Soccer and complain about how boring it is but if you think about it; given it's 11 starters each side just like Football, International Soccer is like having a tournament of All-Stars but spread thin throughout 30+ teams but worse because of the limit of having to be born or be a citizen of the country and only play for that country and not an actual All-Star.

We all know how sloppy All-Star games can be.

International ball is always clunkier due to the lack of chemistry unless a lot of the squad know each other and have for awhile like back in Spain's reign but that also had to do with their Tiki-Taka possession style which shook up Europe and lots of teams have tried to emulate to good or bad results.

It's funny though, Americans mostly only watch International Soccer and complain about how boring it is but if you think about it; given it's 11 starters each side just like Football, International Soccer is like having a tournament of All-Stars but spread thin throughout 30+ teams but worse because of the limit of having to be born or be a citizen of the country and only play for that country and not an actual All-Star.

We all know how sloppy All-Star games can be.

Poland blew it man. Should have beaten Portugal and should be in the Final with the way the bracket shook out. :sigh:

Bild | Mario Götze has decided to leave Bayern. Player is in talks to join Tottenham Hotspur. BVB also interested

• Upvote 1

Götze told some people in the national team that he will leave Munich. The only question is, where will he go?

Option number 1: BVB! A comeback to Dortmund is still possible even if the trail isn't very hot right now.

Option number 2: The more likely option. In the last few days Tottenham has been in contact (with Götze). The London-based club play in the Champions League as the third placed team in the EPL.

giphy.gif

Gotze is a tiny ass boy

don't know if anyone saw this (again I think I'm the only one on here who follows USL) from May, but the guy just got a worldwide suspension from FIFA and I'd say it's deserved: