Maverick

Official Soccer Thread

Germany/England was lit. Guatemala/America not so much :yao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_CmbFynqM0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlABn7mLmE8

Spurs boys shining. 4 starters. 2 goals :shifty:

EDIT: 2nd video posted because last goal wasn't shown in real time

Edited by CampinWithAccidentalFlavor

shitty camera work (would love to know how he got the ball, but how much can you really ask for when it's obviously someone video taping their tv) but DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN

Edited by oochymp

shitty camera work (would love to know how he got the ball, but how much can you really ask for when it's obviously someone video taping their tv) but DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN

This is a better vid but looks like the official camera man sucked too :yao: He gets it on the steal and quickly picks out the keeper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv0xlQjN5RM

I have no clue what that diagram means, but I do know we kicked some Guatemalan ass

• Upvote 1

Ah that is the England I know and love.

Produce a complete masterclass of a come back against Germany, to then play like shit against the Netherlands.

England are forever giving false hope.

FTR, I still think there need to be changes in US Soccer, they're not doing enough to develop talent, missing the Olympics in three of four cycles shouldn't happen and can't happen if we want to build the program

I was excited to see Birnbaum get the start yesterday

FTR, I still think there need to be changes in US Soccer, they're not doing enough to develop talent, missing the Olympics in three of four cycles shouldn't happen and can't happen if we want to build the program

I was excited to see Birnbaum get the start yesterday

We'll never be a major force in soccer, unfortunately.

If you look at the top 50 athletes in countries like Germany, Spain, Brazil, etc, most of them go into soccer. In our country? I think it'd be safe to say zero. Kids want to go where the money is which is completely understandable. Our top athletes want to play football, basketball, etc.

As long as that continues, we won't be making any significant improvements.

We'll never be a major force in soccer, unfortunately.

If you look at the top 50 athletes in countries like Germany, Spain, Brazil, etc, most of them go into soccer. In our country? I think it'd be safe to say zero. Kids want to go where the money is which is completely understandable. Our top athletes want to play football, basketball, etc.

Well I'm not 100% sure this is going to stay they same with all the recent commotion in regards to contact sports and links to CTE.

Obviously soccer is a contact sport but the links to injuries like concussions are are less than the sports like hockey and football.

I could easily see soccer start to rise an alternative sport because of this.

That's the problem, the USSF is currently doing nothing to change the status quo. You say the issue is there's no money in soccer in the US, which is generally true. To change that you have to make MLS more profitable, which means making it more entertaining, which means getting better players there, and I would argue means getting top American athletes there. We're getting there with guys like Dempsey, Altidore, Bradley and coming back to play in MLS while they're still in their prime, but Klinsman is actively pushing American players to play in Europe and continually belittles MLS, which undermines any momentum in building the sport.

Like Bangy said soccer could easily rise with the new focus on head trauma in football, but the USSF isn't doing enough to make that happen.

It's our youth system, but more so the coaches in our youth system. There's some great articles about this topic as well as the myth of how if our best athletes played soccer we'd be good.

that first article is a really interesting read, and good to know they're changing the approach

As to the second, the writer seems to think everyone making the "if better athletes play soccer we'll be better at soccer" are completely ignoring the training aspect, which I don't think is correct at all. I think everyone knows LeBron James, despite his athleticism, wouldn't be where he is without a lot of time spent preparing, and plug any player you want. I think most people also recognize that sports take more than athleticism, if not for the singular ability to throw a football nobody would look at guys like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady as athletes, but they're regarded as some of the best at their position. The argument, which I think that author is sidestepping, isn't "let's throw a bunch of athletes that have dedicated their lives to other sports and make them a soccer team," it's "can we get the next great athletes to pour their time into soccer instead of football and basketball?" I think most people are making the assumption that enough of those athletes will get the right coaching, which may or may not be a safe assumption, but I think it also bears mention that I'm sure there are plenty of NFL and NBA players who got their in spite of shitty youth coaches just based on the time they invested in the sport.

Edited by oochymp

I hear you, I think he was targeting Americans who aren't into soccer and are just the "everyman" who spouts that saying even though they know nothing of soccer because I'm sure you've been in sports bars before and the sports takes by average folks are fucking terrible. :lol:

Prepare to get slaughtered. Seriously, Spurs played weak squads against them basically waving the white flag to focus on the League Title but Dortmund is by far the best team Spurs have played this year. They're really good.

16ba39k.jpg

:smug:

What a debut season by new bae Dele Alli. Him and Eric Dier's bromance is cute heart emojis etc. too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8eH_fJTs5o

This kid is only 19 years old. Dudes body isn't even fully developed and he's tall and lanky now. Kid's IQ for the game is already amazing. He's just a playmaking machine. Dier and his bromance is our only hope of keeping him from the top clubs who always steal our good players. :thumbup2:

If you missed the Liverpool Dortmund second leg, you missed one of the best comebacks in football history.

And yes, Alli is a quality player.

• Upvote 1

So many bandwagon Dortmund fans again, have to play against them in FIFA like 60% of the time. I kinda wish Spurs actually played their starting eleven against them and not just played for the EPL title strictly because I wanted to see entertaining matches like that one. Glad Dortmund lost.

:cigar:

• Upvote 1