Maverick

Official Soccer Thread

I think I saw Chiellini is gonna be out on Saturday. Really bad news for Juve if true since they're gonna need to be really tight defensively like they were vs Real. Do you guys think Juve has a chance or nah? I think Barca will win cause of a great individual goal by Messi but I doubt it will be a wide open game where Barca's front 3 are unstoppable like the 2nd leg of the Bayern game. It will be more like that 1st leg I think. The only chance you have is to park the bus so I could see it being a pretty boring game.

Yes, Chiellini has been ruled out of the match. Huge blow. Not to mention the match loses a little bit of its spice considering one of the headlines was about Suarez vs Chiellini for the first time since the infamous bite.

I'm very torn on who will win this game. It's hard for me to bet against the star trio of Messi, Neymar, and Suarez. However, defense wins championships, and in that regard Juve are the better team.

If I HAD to make a prediction...I guess I'll go with Juventus 2-1. I've seen great defenses defeat great offenses too many times in big games to think this should go any different. Having said that, Barcelona are in such incredible form at the moment that I could easily see a scoreline of Barca 3-0. I just hope we get an entertaining game.

• Upvote 1

I have the opportunity to go to Soccerfest tonight. It's a big gathering event to watch the game on the big screen. They did it last year for the men's WC. I even made it on ESPN :yep:

Not sure if I'm gonna go or not tho

Edited by Maverick

:mjlaugh::yao:

This is America dawg, what are you talking about?

• Downvote 2

I didn't go, but it was really fun last year. It's a big outdoor event area where you can have some beer and food, watch the game with hundreds of people that are into it, and they have some activities there. Like I said, we were one of the few cities that made it into ESPN because of how many of us were there.

I'm just trying to gauge the interest for this idea because I did it on an old soccer forum I used to visit and it was pretty fun...How many of you guys would be up for a soccer fantasy draft?

It would be just like the NFL one we did a while back. Snake-format draft where we each take turns picking players to form an 11-man team and then we pit them against each other in a vote to see who people think would win if they played each other. Now, considering the only people knowledgeable enough to vote on something like that would probably be all of us doing the fantasy draft lol, I may just throw the teams in FIFA 15 and sim them. It wouldn't be that hard to do and would be a fun way to decide who's squad is the best.

I know we don't have too many soccer fans on TGP so realistically 6 is the number I'm shooting for. 8 would be lovely but I would be shocked if there were 8 members here who could pick any soccer players after Messi and Ronaldo are taken.

Possible members that may be interested: Campin, BradyFan, oochymp, Bangy, JF4L, Bjorn, DonovanMcNabb for HOF?

I know Drogba and Neymar. God I'm so cultured. :p

• Upvote 1

Why not just do a Fantasy League?

Well we very well could, but the EPL doesn't start back up until August so we're quite a bit away before registration opens.

I really don't know much soccer outside of MLS, really outside of DC United, so I'd be pretty worthless in that endeavor

Yea I'd be up for it, be interesting to see who you guys pick up and how well you do. If you mean the EPL, I know nothing about the MLS.

Edited by Bangy

Hopefully it'd be players from all leagues to increase the talent pool. I doubt I could do 11 rounds just picking EPL players because my EPL knowledge isn't that extensive but if you include the Spanish, Italian, German and French leagues it'd be easy

Edited by BradyFan81

Wish I could.

Would consider playing fantasy.

Edited by Green Bay

When it's time for EPL fantasy to come around I'll hit you up, Bay.

The pool would be from any player, any league.

Yeah, I'd be interested in doing this.

1. Mav

2. Brady

3. Bangy

4. Bjorn

5. Campin?

oochymp, is that a no from you?

that's a no, if you're short on numbers I can probably remember enough names from the World Cup last year to put together a decent team, so I guess it's more of a maybe if you need numbers

I mean, if you need a guy. :shrug:

so in the past week the USMNT has defeated the Netherlands and Germany, not sure if those teams were playing full strength, but either way those are huge wins given that the teams finished 3rd and 1st respectively in the World Cup last year

so in the past week the USMNT has defeated the Netherlands and Germany, not sure if those teams were playing full strength, but either way those are huge wins given that the teams finished 3rd and 1st respectively in the World Cup last year

obama_riding_a_lion_by_sharpwriter-d5ftz

How could you forget me....Mav? :(

I didn't forget you, but I haven't seen you on a lot and didn't know how much you knew of the players outside of whatever BPL team you're bandwagoning atm.

• Downvote 1