Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

Potential HOF's ...Under 26

Surprised nobody has mentioned Geno Atkins. If you say 26 and under he fits the bill.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Geno Atkins. If you say 26 and under he fits the bill.

Was gonna mention him on my DT list but I keep putting it off

Well, since no one else is going to give any Chiefs love, I'll do it.

Eric Berry? Come on now. I know he's got hype behind him which pretty much disqualifies him from any list around here, but the kid is a stud. He's been to the pro bowl every full season he's played, is a tackling machine, creates turn overs, bats down passes, and even gets to the QB sometimes. Berry is a legit superstar at his position.

Justin Houston is another guy who could end up having a HOF type career. The guy is obviously a nightmare for QBs, but he's also improving against the run. He's pretty good in coverage as well. The scary thing is that he's just getting started. If he stays on the pace he's on right now, he'll certainly be in the conversation.

Barring injury, Watt is already in. The writing is on the wall there, as it is with Andrew Luck.

I liked NaTaS' picking Joe Haden, because that kid is a special player. He's not only one of the best cover guys in the game right now, but he's also one of the best tacklers at his position.

Luke Kuechly has been very impressive in his young career, too. Dude just flat out gets it done.

This next one hurts for me to type. I can feel my fingers cramping up right now, but Demaryius Thomas has the chance to be a great player. He's already turning heads, and losing Manning might not help his cause, but he was damn good even with Tebow throwing him the ball like three times per game. His pass catching ability is surpassed only by what he does after he's caught the ball. His name is spelled just ridiculously, but hey: nobody's perfect.

Unfortunately, Jamaal Charles misses the cut at 27, so I won't go all long-winded about his awesome awesomeness.

• Upvote 1

Well, since no one else is going to give any Chiefs love, I'll do it.

Eric Berry? Come on now. I know he's got hype behind him which pretty much disqualifies him from any list around here, but the kid is a stud. He's been to the pro bowl every full season he's played, is a tackling machine, creates turn overs, bats down passes, and even gets to the QB sometimes. Berry is a legit superstar at his position.

His problem will be he will always be compared to Earl Thomas. Early on, his hype meter would have sustained that kind of opinion. But Thomas has eclipsed him entirely in the last two seasons.

He is going to be second fiddle to Thomas and that will hurt him in voting. He's probably going to be worthy of it. And should get the necessary pro bowls as there isn't a lot of competition for the honor in the AFC. So it's not out of the question that he could make it.

Definite potential. But even game impacting safeties have a hard time getting in. Steve Atwater is still on the outside looking in. There are a ton of good safeties out there that didn't get in. Berry is going to have to do more than just put up stats. He's going to have to alter the defense like Thomas has done.

• Upvote 1

Eric Berry would also have to be a great safety to get in. He's not the first name I jump to when I think elite safety, and he's not the 5th either.

BVpohkW.png

You guys have made a pretty convincing argument to keep Peyton out of the hall of fame.

Edited by RazorStar
  • Upvote 2

Dalton will need to fix his post season issues(Manning had them too, but had one decent-ish post season game in his first 3).

People are also ignoring, in comparing him to Peyton, that Dalton plays in a much more pass friendly league than what Peyton was in his first 3 years.

Best example of that probably being that from 1967 to 2003(36 seasons), 4k yards was matched/eclipsed 49 times. Since 2004(10 seasons), that's happened 70 times.

Dalton is not as good as Peyton was in his first three years. And I honestly don't think it's close.

• Upvote 1

Peyton didn't really start coming into his own until about 2002-2003. Like he was steadily improving, but you wouldn't have started calling him the best until then. He was still behind guys like Warner, Gannon, Garcia and The Unnamed Packer. But everything changed when Bill Polian attacked. Stupid Ty Law rule, setting the stage to ruin defense for years to come.

• Upvote 1

BVpohkW.png

You guys have made a pretty convincing argument to keep Peyton out of the hall of fame.

My point exactly.

My point exactly.

Except it's a pretty terrible point when you look at more than just the stats.

You can compare numbers all you want, but Dalton relies pretty heavily on AJ Green. We've all seen him just chucking Green the ball when all else fails. Peyton has always had good WR's, but I don't recall him ever leaning on Marvin Harrison the way Dalton does Green. Yes I realize that Harrison broke the receptions record early in Peyton's career, but Peyton has always spread the ball around. I don't think anyone ever used the term 'serviceable' to describe Peyton Manning as a QB. Come on guys. This is just retarded now. I never thought I'd see the day where I'm defending Peyton Manning. :facepalm:

Edited by seanbrock

I'm not saying Dalton is as good as Manning. I'm not saying Dalton WILL get to the HoF. I'm saying that he has the potential to do so. He has the stats, all he needs is a handful playoff wins and probably a ring or two.

He does NOT have the stats right now to back up a bid for the HoF... He needs to improve just about everything from an efficiency standpoint. Better TD:INT ratio, YPA could go up some, completion percentage is OK. If he finishes his career on this current path (And I am sure most of us think he will get... better? Maybe?), he won't get near the HoF.

I poorly worded what I said. By current pace "stats" I meant the direction he is going in statistically. If he follows the career route of guys like Manning and Bree's, he could get in. Dalton needs improvement, obviously, but becoming great is in his reach. Getting to the HoF IS possible. Right now I'd give him a 10%ish chance. My problem is when people claim he has 0% chance.

EJ Manuel has a shot too man. He's still young.

You guys can blast the kid for it being a homer pick all you want, but he hasn't really said anything outlandish here. No one else here would have ever thrown Dalton ' s name in the hat-myself included- because the general thought process on Dalton is he'll never get consistent.

If he ever does get to where he's constantly the good Andy, there's no reason he can't reach the next level. I think that's all Cherry's saying here, and it's a legit statement. QB's get extra love in HOF voting anyway, and if Dalton ever does make some playoff runs, the sky is the limit.

EJ Manuel has a shot too man. He's still young.

There isn't enough data to back a major claim on Manuel. Manuel hasn't had enough time to develop and play at the NFL level. Dalton has played 3 years and there is enough evidence to put a major claim behind him. You're logic of, "Oh this guy can make it too!" is not a working logic. I stated why Dalton in specific could make it. If you claim EJ can too, back it up. Because I haul Dalton's ass in my list doesn't mean I should haul EJ's just because he is young too.

Maybe it's because I never thought EJ was good, nor do I think he's good in the NFL but I think sean's being sarcastic. But this is the interwebs and for some reason we still have no such thing as the sarcasm font so I could be wrong.

No, Manning wasn't at the top of the league, but he was doing things that were unheard of from a guy of his youth and was in the argument for being one of the top QBs in the league(5-8ish range). Dalton isn't even ranked in anyone's top 10 at this point. Stats are cool, but there's also the eye test that you have to pass. Manning passed it with flying colors in his early years. Dalton hasn't.

Not that Dalton is awful. He's obviously not. But he's not what Peyton was. He's not what Luck and Wilson are. He's not a "I want to build my franchise around this guy" person. As a fan of a franchise who hasn't had a stable QB situation since McNair's MVP season in 03, I wouldn't go "omg sign Dalton" if he were a free agent.

He's a solid QB that I can't blame the Bengals for wanting to keep because you can certainly do much worse, but he's not changing the NFL and he's not gonna set the world on fire unless he takes some huge step.

Knowing what we know now, if you gave me the choice of a young P Manning or a young A Dalton, you would not have to be a rocket scientist to figure out who I'm takin'...

Tom Brady?

Does his early defense and Vinatieri come along with him? :troll:

• Upvote 2

Maybe it's because I never thought EJ was good, nor do I think he's good in the NFL but I think sean's being sarcastic. But this is the interwebs and for some reason we still have no such thing as the sarcasm font so I could be wrong.

Sean was obviously being sarcastic. Cherry jumped the gun a bit, but his defensiveness is warranted.

In reality, the biggest difference between early Manning and early Dalton is that hype factor that everyone seems to despise these days. Peyton went to Tennessee, and Dalton went to TCU. Manning was no.1 overall, and Dalton didn't get taken until the 3rd round. Expectations and concessions were made for Peyton.

No.1 overall QBs always get the benefit of the doubt until they prove to boom or bust, and we all know what Manning did. Still, he did nothing—I repeat , NOTHING—in his first three seasons that would have made anyone think he was the next coming of Dan Marino aside from being hyped and throwing an unprecedented amount of passes for a rookie.

Manning took over the offense immediately, but he wasn't instant epic like people think. Take it from someone who was big into football when Manning was a rookie: the same warning signs were there. The biggest difference, as far as I can see, is the confidence lever. Manning was just super confident/cocky, whereas Dalton worries a bit too much.

Who knows if this will be a long term impedance for Andy, and I'm not in any way saying that I expect Peyton-like results from Andy. Still though, most of the people that are all fired up have always had the same problems with Peyton that we're all having with Andy now...