Dutch

What player would you take from your opponents team?

Don't know the Jets very well but would need help in the front 7. Sheldon Richardson or Muhammad Wilkerson could help the D-line. David Harris as well since Hawk and Jones are horrible. I guess I would take Harris since Hawk and Jones are that bad.

With the Bulaga injury and Lacy concerns yall need D'Brickashaw Ferguson assuming he is still elite.

For the Chargers, I'd take Lynch honestly. An elite RB that can create his own holes without good blocking would probably turn that offense into a top 5 and help Rivers finally get far in the playoffs. Chancellor would be a completely different player in a different scheme. If you went defense I would grab Bobby Wagner or Sherman.

With the Bulaga injury and Lacy concerns yall need D'Brickashaw Ferguson assuming he is still elite.

For the Chargers, I'd take Lynch honestly. An elite RB that can create his own holes without good blocking would probably turn that offense into a top 5 and help Rivers finally get far in the playoffs. Chancellor would be a completely different player in a different scheme. If you went defense I would grab Bobby Wagner or Sherman.

Thomas is better than any of those guys.

• Upvote 1

I'd have to agree with Dutch here. Vontae Davis is a no brainer.

Probably either Darrelle Revis or Shane Veeren.

I'll take Peterson, but it's not easy to pass up on Patterson either. A deep threat is the main thing the Patriots lack. Most teams only play a single high safety against us cause they know we're not gonna beat them over the top. Not sure why BB has refused to get a true deep threat all these years after Moss. Dobson might be that guy, but he's had injury problems so far. Hopefully he does turn into a true field stretcher.

So on to week 2.

I would take Attaochu, and Fluker off SD's hands.

While personally, I would also add Donald Butler -- I know in my heart Seattle wouldn't. He doesn't have the necessary 4.4/low 4.5 speed that marks all of our LBs. It's a line we rarely ignore (KJ Wright) and he's the only player above 4.52 on the roster. But his play recognition and length make him our best cover LB even at a comparatively glacial 4.62 speed.

I'll take Desmond Trufant. Need us a shutdown corner.

I'll take Desmond Trufant. Need us a shutdown corner.

That word gets thrown around too easily.

• Upvote 2

You can only call one guy shut down. Patrick is not. Joe is not. Still very good corners.

Revis looked bad in the Miami game.

You can only call one guy shut down. Patrick is not. Joe is not. Still very good corners.

Revis looked bad in the Miami game.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Revis didn't look too great against Mike Wallace. I think this could be the year (for me at least) where Sherman can't be denied the #1 corner spot. Being another season further removed from his injury, that grace period is over for me now. Revis would have to bounce back with an immaculate stretch of performances or I'll be convinced that this is who he is now after his injury.

• Upvote 1

Sherman is a great corner but I want to see him against these top WRs which he hardly is because of Seattle's scheme. It works out great for him and Seattle because he basically shuts down a third of the field and a #2 or 3 WR but these guys like Revis, Haden, and Peterson are being asked to follow the best WR around the entire game. Still would rank him #1, just would like to see him against Megatron and other great WRs.

• Upvote 1

Sherman is a great corner but I want to see him against these top WRs which he hardly is because of Seattle's scheme. It works out great for him and Seattle because he basically shuts down a third of the field and a #2 or 3 WR but these guys like Revis, Haden, and Peterson are being asked to follow the best WR around the entire game. Still would rank him #1, just would like to see him against Megatron and other great WRs.

Just curious, why these top receivers don't get the same kind of lack of consideration for avoiding these top corners?

Although I've already chimed in on this topic. Moving around a corner to mirror a top receiver is just flat out stupid from a team defense standpoint. It may not be the single man on man matchup. But this is a team game. Making your defense simpler to execute as a whole is much more effective in total than restricting targets to a top receiver by a small handful of throws and dynamically altering your scheme every snap. Being able to flood one side of the field with extra coverage has tremendous value.

It's also worth noting, that right handed QBs are naturally better throwers to their right. And that most teams align their TE to that side (as it is again easier to make throws to the right). By forcing QBs to go to their weak side predominantly has a strong value. When you force a QB to throw to his least accurate side, and then compound that with adding extra defenders there to bracket players has a strong effect. Even if it's not immediately discernable.

Case in point: Jordy Nelson got a lot of balls thrown his way. 9 catches. That is a good haul. But his YAC was virtually non existant. His longest reception was 16 yards. And he had two opportunities to score but because we could roll coverage -- we had defenders there to keep him shut out. Not allowing big plays by sure tackling and having extra bodies to do it doesn't show up on a stat sheet very well. But it's a very real advantage that shows up in the team passing yards allowed and in the win column.

It's also interesting to note, that Arizona and NE have bought into this truth. At least in week one they did. The only one to mirror a receiver was Haden and he got torched. I would not be the least surprised that mirroring goes the way of the fullback. Personally, I view teams that choose to do mirroring to be just plain stupid. There are so many advantages to not doing it.

• Upvote 1

Not every team has a defense loaded with talent such as Seattle. What would happen if Seattle didn't have the best safety tandem and couple great LBs? Teams would expose that defense while Sherman is shutting the #2 or 3 WR down. If you look at Nelson, he was constantly beating Maxwell as a #1 WR should do a lesser corner. But Maxwell constantly had help since Sherman was shutting down a third of the field.

If you look at a lesser defense like Green Bay, who has used this technique, they struggle. Sam Shields is GB's best corner and has lined up against #2 or 3 WRs before. Leaving Williams on a #1 while rolling Bennett over the top. In the majority of the instances, the pass was completed and the offense was driving. On the other hand, when GB has stuck on Sam Shields on the opposing best WR and let them go 1v1, they have had more success. This can be seen on how Sam played against the likes of AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, Josh Gordon, Brandon Marshall, and more while limiting them quite well and allowing the team to win.

Once again, I'm not saying Sherman is a bad CB or isn't the best but I would like to see how he handles himself man to man against great WRs.

The question of moving your corners around seems to me to come down to whether you're running predominately man or predominately zone coverage. If you're predominately running man coverage why wouldn't you keep your best corner on the opponent's best WR? Are you really gonna make your #2/3 corner cover the other team's best WR while your top corner covers a scrub on the other side? Conversely, if you predominately run zone coverage it makes more sense to keep your corners on the same side of the field for all of the reasons Attyla laid out, your corners know the space their covering, you have the consistency of knowing where your teammates are going to be, and if you're running zones there's no way of knowing whose zone your opponent's top WR is going to end up in anyway.

:Cardinals:

Patrick Peterson easily.

Andy Luck.

Reggie Wayne.

Edited by Vin

it's gotta be Geno Atkins, while I'm tempted to go with AJ Green and just have a disgusting receiving corps, we clearly need help in the defensive front, and putting Atkins next to Jurrell Casey would just be unfair

I'd take Kyle Williams all day long. Big filthy, nasty man... I love it.

Eric Weddle would be pretty beastly to have.

Julius Thomas pls

:Redskins:

Desean Jackson :smug:

I seriously considered Ryan Kerrigan. He would be a great asset to our defense but it's something about explosive skill set players. I gravitate towards special play makers like Desean and considering Nick Foles issues against more condensed coverage because of not having a deep threat to stretch the field, yes, give me Desean Action Jackson back.

:Bills:

I'll jump on the bandwagon and take Sammy Watkins!