Vin

Panthers @ Bucs

(AP) -- The Carolina Panthers opened 1-3 in 2013 before winning 11 of their final 12 games to earn the NFC South crown and a first-round bye in the playoffs.

After an offseason that brought major roster changes, including the loss of the franchise's longest-tenured player, the Panthers will try to get off to a stronger start Sunday when they open 2014 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The biggest question marks for Carolina (12-4) entering Week 1 are the health of star quarterback Cam Newton, who had offseason ankle surgery and also fractured several ribs in a preseason game, and the status of Pro Bowl defensive end Greg Hardy.

Hardy faces a six-game suspension under the NFL's new domestic violence policy. He has appealed a July 15 conviction on misdemeanor charges of assaulting a female and communicating threats and has a trial date set for Nov. 17 - during the team's bye week.

Losing Hardy, who led the Panthers with 15 sacks last season, would be a blow to the defense, but Carolina has some depth on the line. Second-year tackles Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short were solid on the interior as rookies in 2013, while end Charles Johnson is coming off an 11-sack season.

Johnson, though, has been hampered by a hamstring injury, and middle linebacker Luke Kuechly, the Defensive Player of the Year in 2013, is likely to play the early portion of the season with a cast on his sprained right thumb.

"That's the nature of the game," said reigning NFL coach of the year Ron Rivera. "This could happen in the regular season and we have to adapt. It's basically the next man up."

The most pressing concern for the Panthers is Newton, who in his third season finished with 3,379 passing yards, 24 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. Rivera was more optimistic about his quarterback's chances of playing after Newton took all of his reps at practice Friday. Rivera said he "took the next step" in his recovery process but reiterated that a decision won't be made on Newton's status until Sunday.

"Cam is a fighter and a leader and there ain't nothing that is going to hold that guy back," left tackle Byron Bell said. "He looked good out there throwing the ball and calling plays and it looked like he hasn't lost a step. So we as an offensive line have to keep him upright against Tampa Bay and we should be fine."

Newton now seems to be the team's unquestioned leader after the release of Steve Smith, who set nearly every team receiving record during his 13 seasons in Carolina.

Also gone are Brandon LaFell and Ted Ginn Jr., leaving Newton with a host of new receivers including veterans Jerricho Cotchery and Jason Avant along with first-round pick Kelvin Benjamin, who helped Florida State win the national title last season.

The offense is also hoping for the resurgence of Jonathan Stewart after the running back played in only 15 games over the last two years because of injuries. Stewart had 3,500 rushing yards and 26 touchdowns over his first four seasons and a return to that type of production would help ease the pressure on Newton and his new targets.

The group gets its first chance to jell against Tampa Bay, which brought in former Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith after a 4-12 debacle under Greg Schiano last season.

The defensive-minded Smith and coordinator Leslie Frazier have some solid pieces to work with, including tackle Gerald McCoy, linebacker Lavonte David, cornerback Alterraun Verner and safeties Mark Barron and Dashon Goldson.

McCoy and David are two of the league's finest players at their respective positions and give Tampa Bay a good chance to limit points and stuff the run.

"It's easy to get excited about this opportunity," Frazier said of the defense.

The offense is where things get a bit murky for the Bucs. The receiving corps has potential with returning veteran Vincent Jackson and first-round pick Mike Evans, who are both 6-foot-5 and could cause matchup headaches for opposing defenses.

What could hold them back, however, is the quarterback situation and an offensive line that looked dreadful in the preseason.

The current starter under center is Josh McCown, who's spent most of his 11 seasons as a backup but played very well for Chicago last year when Jay Cutler was hurt. It seems unlikely, though, that he'll duplicate the 108.2 rating he posted in those five starts.

If Doug Martin can anchor a strong ground attack, McCown may not have to do too much.

Tampa Bay addressed its weak O-line by trading for six-time Pro Bowl guard Logan Mankins, but revealed just how desperate the situation is by talking with lineman Richie Incognito, the central figure in the Miami Dolphins' bullying scandal last year.

Still, the Buccaneers are confident they can end a six-year playoff drought despite playing in a very competitive NFC South.

"People laugh about it right now, but it's the belief you've got to have. I'm living proof of it," said tackle Clinton McDonald, who won the Super Bowl with the Seahawks last season. "Coming from Seattle, when I first went over there, we weren't Super Bowl ready. But the belief in it every year, and the work ethic every year, allowed us to get there."

Dandy of a defensive battle here. The Bucs have the better offense but the Panthers can stop anybody. I think the Panthers win the turnover battle and McCown looks so lost he throws 3 picks. Panthers roll 16-14

Gonna be at the game, can't wait.

This one is gonna be a defensive showdown with very little scoring. With Cam not being at 100%, I think we take this one.

I originally wanted to take the Panthers, but hearing about Cam's ribs I am reconsidering. Bucs supporting cast on offense is better and they're at home. A limited Cam probably can't carry the offense like he'd have to for a victory.

:panthers: 10

:Bucs: 14

This game seems like it's going to be horrible >_>

Man... look at Josh McCown being a top 10 QB out there.

• Upvote 1

New HC (we sure Schiano still isn't running things?), new GM, (some) new players, new uniforms...same results...

GARBAGE

I was really optimistic going into this season/ game too...against my better judgement...

Really tired of being embarrassingly bad year after year after year...

• Upvote 1

So many frustrating things from this game. The offensive line is obviously bad, but losing Mankins to injury almost as soon as the game started doesn't help. Then you have epic retard Josh McCown. What is the point of benching a promising young QB for a 35 year old vet if he's going to make awful decisions like throwing the ball up while being sacked for a pick....TWICE!

Our defense can't cover the middle of the field. Mason Foster is a decent player but he can't cover TEs at all, we always get killed.

What is worse, is after playing like complete and utter dogshit for 52 minutes the Bucs decide to tease us and almost win the game but drop easy picks and then throw 2 yard passes at the end of the game to a backup RB who fumbles. Seriously, Derek Anderson literally was ready to gift wrap the game by missing a wide open Greg Olsen and throwing it to Dashon Goldson who couldn't catch it. Carolina tried to gift wrap the game to us but we sent it back. Ugh. I wasn't expecting playoffs this year, but seeing such a pathetic performance capped off by a cruel tease is just frustrating. Being a Buc fan really sucks. #itsabucslife

• Upvote 1

What really makes everything so frustrating is that no matter what it's the same crap. Ever since like 2006 it has boiled down to the same problems. Crap QB play, horrible offensive line and just no pass rush whatsoever. There's been a few exceptions (Jeff Garcia had a decent 2007, Freeman 2010) but every year it is the same issues and no matter what we do it's always the same garbage. It just gets annoying that we have to settle for the Josh McCowns of the world at QB. It is tiring that no matter what we do at DE we can never get to the QB and are always at the bottom of the league in pass rush.

Yeah, it's only one game but we looked so bad that it is hard to be optimistic about our chances of doing anything this year. Losing to Derek Anderson at home is just rough, but to be fair Carolina is probably the best defense we'll see all year as well. I'm not looking forward to the Rams game next week either, I know they looked like shit today but we all know their DL will eat our OL and McCown for lunch. We might luck out and win because their offense sucks too, but what good is it? We're going to finish last in the NFC South and we're lucky if we don't go 0-6 in the division. I almost think we are better off just going 1-15 or 2-14 and getting that top QB prospect. But knowing our luck we will go 4-12 and end up picking 5th and have to settle for whatever is left from the top prospects in the draft, like usual. I just want to have a good team again because the hopeless feeling of playing meaningless games every Sunday is just old.

I just don't understand the logic of McCown over Glennon, and naming McCown the starter before OTAs even began. Lovie Smith gets a lot of love, and no criticism whatsoever. Can we call a spade a spade, for once? The guy is making decisions that just don't make sense.

As for that Bucs defense and pass pressure--Leslie Frazier doesn't blitz much, and he doesn't hold players accountable. Be prepared to be frustrated.

Glennon is a nice young player. He likely takes over sooner rather than later and I think the offense perks up some when he does.

Anderson played so well, they might as well let Newton rest until after at least next week...

You wish, son.

Cam is coming and he is going to be hungry.

Foster sucks for this style of D. Licht has his work cut out for him this offseason.