Sign in to follow this  
Turry

Charles Johnson agreed to restructure his contract.

Panthers LE Charles Johnson agreed to restructure his contract, creating $5.2 million in immediate salary space.

The Panthers converted $7.8 million of Johnson's $8.75 million base salary into a "signing" bonus that can be spread out over the final three years of the deal. GM Dave Gettleman has been in salary-cap hell in Carolina since taking over for Marty Hurney prior to the 2013 season. He now has some breathing room.

Maybe a sign that they're going to keep him over Hardy? He's not as good, but he also isn't hurling women onto piles of firearms.

This needed to happen. The only thing about this restructure is it doesn't help us past this season. It only gives us more wiggle room for this year pushing our cap above $10 million in space so I would assume this is to make moves in emergency situations for this seasons without affecting the cap he wants to roll over into next year.

After seeing the o-line the last two games which has done decent in pass protecting at times but terrible in run blocking since the start of the year. I would love to see this extra cap space used to trade for a o-lineman. Specifically a OT, if Tennessee continues to lose I would love to see them go after Roo's and then extend his contract to about a 3 year deal which would be plenty of time to draft and develop someone at LT.

30+ years old isn't too bad for a offensive lineman and plus they drafted his replacement this year. They could get a later round pick out of it and we could afford his contract this season with it because he is in the last year of his deal. This would immediately help our line and we could move Bell back to RT given I think Chandler has been worse then Bell to this point even though I don't like Bell that much either and give us better depth at OT. I also think it would help with the poor run blocking which has really struggled with Bell at LT. While it wouldn't fix all problems I think in a looking at the bigger picture it be a smart move if Tennessee would be willing to move him if there season continues to go south.