Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Packers @ Lions

By NOEY KUPCHAN

STATS Writer

(AP) -- While Calvin Johnson has long since established himself as one of the NFL's elite receivers, Jordy Nelson could be next to join the list.

Looking to build on last week's win, Nelson and the Green Bay Packers try to continue their recent success against the Detroit Lions as these NFC North rivals meet Sunday at Ford Field.

After a one-sided 36-16 loss at Seattle in their opener, the Packers (1-1) stormed back to beat the New York Jets 31-24 last Sunday.

"It's a game of adversity. It's a game of momentum swings. It's a game of big plays," said coach Mike McCarthy, whose team trailed 21-3 in the second quarter. "We were in a spot, but our players stayed the course."

Aaron Rodgers completed 25 of 42 passes for 346 yards and three touchdowns, finding Nelson nine times for a career-high 209 yards. The star-studded duo hooked up for an 80-yard score with 2:08 left in the third quarter to put Green Bay up for good.

"Well, pretty impressive. Take it for granted sometimes. He's not a big `me' guy ... so he kind of gets overlooked sometimes," Rodgers said of Nelson. "We know the kind of player he is."

Nelson's 209 receiving yards were the most by a Packer since Don Beebe's 220 in 1996. His previous career high was 162 against the Lions in a 45-41 win Jan.1, 2012.

While Johnson has racked up a league-leading 1,739 receiving yards since the start of last year, Nelson ranks fourth with 1,606.

"Jordy, you always see him making some big plays. He is definitely their big-play guy," Johnson told the Packers' official website. "He's a guy we've got to be able to contain come Sunday; you know, not let him get the ball and run with it and find seams to make bigger plays after he catches it."

The Packers have taken 23 of 27 from the Lions despite losing 40-10 on November 28 with Rodgers on the sideline. Johnson had six catches for 101 yards and a touchdown that day, giving him 12 scores in 12 games against Green Bay. He's hauled in 32 catches for 606 yards during a four-game stretch in the series.

"It's a big game. It's a divisional game," Johnson said of Sunday's showdown. "It's a home game for us, so we definitely want to take care of our home field. At the same time, we want to take care of our divisional games whenever they come."

The Lions (1-1) opened with a 35-14 win over the New York Giants before falling 24-7 at Carolina last Sunday. Rookie kicker Nate Freese missed two field-goal attempts and Matthew Stafford was 27 of 48 for 291 yards with a touchdown and an interception - one of three Lions turnovers.

"What you have to make certain of is that everybody needs to understand that this only counts as one game. This team is not 0-12, or anything of that nature, so there's some balance to it," first-year coach Jim Caldwell said.

"Just like last week there weren't a bunch of guys hollering about the win, they were level-headed and I believe they will handle the loss the exact same way. We will be level-headed, get our corrections made, focus on our next opponent and move forward."

Only three teams have been less efficient running the ball than the Lions, who are averaging 3.0 yards per carry. They may be able to break out against a Packers defense giving up an average of 176.5 rushing yards to rank 31st in the league.

Green Bay's defense showed some improvement last weekend, though, allowing just three points and 100 yards after halftime. A.J. Hawk had 10 tackles and cornerback Tramon Williams picked off his first pass of the year.

"I think there were some very positive things from this game we can take and build on," defensive coordinator Dom Capers said. "Obviously, our goal is to be able to start the way we finished the game. To be able to get to where we want to go, we have to be able to play a whole game like that. That will be the challenge."

The Packers will try to contain Stafford, who's thrown for 637 yards and three touchdowns. He has compiled a 1-6 record against Green Bay while throwing 13 touchdowns and 14 interceptions.

Rodgers has posted a 111.0 passer rating against the Lions, going 9-1 with 19 TDs and five picks. His only loss came 7-3 at Detroit in December 2010 after leaving in the second quarter with a concussion.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

Edited by BLUE

This game is on TV for me in the AM. One of the best matchups of the week, expect high scoring, maybe overtime. Won't even make a prediction, just be glued to my set and hoping for big jordy stuff

A potential game of the week, not sure why they didn't put this on TNF instead of that Falcons/Bucs shit fest. I don't think the Pack as the defense to keep up with the Lions, and a fear a bit for the Pack o-line against the best DT tandem in the league.

:Lions: - 34

:Packers: - 31

This game should be a fun watch on the offensive side of the ball with so many star players. It should definitely be entertaining. But as far as the outcome, I'm not sure defensively if the Packers can make enough plays to slow down the Lions. Both teams have great offensive firepower but I think the Lions make more plays on defense so I'm going to have to go with them in this game.

:Lions: 35

:Packers: 28

Lions declared WR Ryan Broyles, CB Cassius Vaughn, LB Travis Lewis, QB Kellen Moore, S James Ihedigbo, OT LaAdrian Waddle and RB Montell Owens inactive for Week 3 against the Packers.

It's a quiet list for Detroit, who enters Week 3 as one of the league's healthier teams. Broyles has now been a healthy scratch for all three games this season.

Packers RT Bryan Bulaga (knee) is active for Week 3 against the Lions.

It's a nice boost for the Pack, who were getting league worst right-tackle play in Bulaga's absence.
Inactive for the Packers are QB Scott Tolzien, CB Demetri Goodson, LB Carl Bradford, LB Brad Jones, DT Mike Pennel and WR Jeff Janis.

Keeping forcing it to megatron please. Joe Lombardi looks to have had no impact on Stafford's weak mental state. :rock:

I really can't wait to hear Mike's excuses for this shit show of an offense. I realize we've played three of the best dlines in football to start the season, but your answer to that is to not have answers?

Great play by the Lions today though ... We suck.

I'll make the excuses for him. The Packers O-line is soooo bad. They are not giving Lacy a chance to be a factor this year.

Defense played another good game today. Held Detroit to 10 points or something. The other 9 were on our offense. I know it's still very early in the season, but based on what I've seen so far, I've never felt this hopeless about a Packers team. Feel like we're destined to flop this season. If this keeps up for much longer, I don't think we'll even make the playoffs. I know it's gonna sound ridiculous when I said it, but our main strength, which is offense, has just been completely lackluster out there, aside for the final 2 quarters of the Jets game that I didn't see. It's like we're going into games without a plan or something.

As for the other team, Detroit might be my favorite to win the division this year if they keep playing like they did today. Packers were able to get to Stafford on a few occasions and make some turnovers, so if they can shore up their protection they might be a real playoff contender. They won the game with a -3 turnover differential or something. Either that says a lot of good things about the Lions or a lot of bad things about the Packers. Probably both lol.

I'll make the excuses for him. The Packers O-line is soooo bad. They are not giving Lacy a chance to be a factor this year.

No they're actually alright. They've been getting manhandled by 3 phenomenal defenses for the first three weeks though. Bulaga is probably not 100% yet. McCarthy, I usually stand by, but he's been straight retarded this year so far. When he, on the edge of Crosby's FG range, decides to drop Rodgers back for a passing play, against Detroit's front 7, I lost my mind. We got sacked, obviously, and went out of FG range (EDIT: It was 3rd and 4 I think. Perfectly good running situation). His decision making is mind boggling sometimes.

Rodgers played pretty shit today also.

A potential game of the week, not sure why they didn't put this on TNF instead of that Falcons/Bucs shit fest.

Packers already played their TNF game on the season opener I don't think they schedule the same team for 2 TNF games.

Edited by badgers

Ya a pathetic showing by the offense. The defense actually played quite well til the end when they were probably tired due to the offense doing nothing. The blocking was poor and can't just excuse that since it was one of the best D-lines in the league. But with poor blocking, you think McCarthy would do something to make up for that, but hardly any screens, rollouts, and short passes were called. Rodgers played poor but the playcalling seemed to effect him as he was left back there with a great front 7 coming at him. I need to rewatch the game and look at the TEs but through the first 3 games, it really seems like Rodgers does not like going to them at all. Through the offseason, there was a lot of talk about the RBs getting involved in the passing game and the preseason showed this, but through these first 3 games I hardly see them getting noticed at all.

Badges, we play Minny on a Thursday in a week and a half.

Also, what a fucking surprise that Matthews went down with another injury and his timetable of recovery is uncertain.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Levy just keeps on climbing up that ladder. After last year and the way he's started this year off, there's no denying that right now he's one of the best LBs in the game.

The whole front 7 has looked great. It's going be hard to replace Tulloch however long he's out. I'm really curious as to how they plan to do it.

Ya, that's the crazy thing... There was nothing but talk about the super speed of the offense and the extra work being put into screens and what not... What happened to that? We have played a lot of no huddle, but it isn't the warp speed we were promised as more than half the time, the play clock still threatens 0.

Dujuan Harris needs to be replaced on KR... I still feel we will catch on and hit our stride later on the season (which I prefer, anyway)... But if we can't beat an elite defensive line, we don't have much a shot at the ultimate goal.

Win or lose and regardless of how far we go or don't go... Mike McCarthy really is quite stupid. I feel like sometimes he just outsmarts himself and tries to do too much at times. With the improvements the defense has made thus far, there is no excuse for the offense to look THIS pathetic for this stretch of time.

It's time to get better, and I think we will.