Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Raiders @ Patriots

By ALAN FERGUSON

STATS Writer

(AP) -- Despite winning decisively last week, the New England Patriots' usual dynamic offense didn't surface.

Tom Brady and the Patriots' passing game have been particularly subpar, and he'll try to get that back on track in Sunday's home opener against the winless Oakland Raiders.

New England bounced back from a season-opening loss in Miami with a 30-7 rout of Minnesota last Sunday, but totaled 292 yards. The Patriots used a blocked field goal return and four interceptions to avoid their first 0-2 start since 2001.

Brady had 149 yards but did complete 66.7 percent of his passes (14 of 21) after connecting on 51.8 percent in Miami (29 of 56).

Brady ranks 28th in quarterback rating at 78.8, the lowest in any of his past 14 seasons, and the Patriots are 25th or lower in a number of offensive categories, including yards per game (303.5).

"Our passing game hasn't been stellar to this point. We have to keep going after it," Brady said. "Guys will get opportunities to get more balls, and I need to do a better job of finding those guys when they're open."

A bevy of penalties hasn't helped New England, which was seventh with 384.5 yards per game in 2013. The Patriots have had 24 infractions accepted against them for an NFL-high 263 yards.

They had more penalty yards (163) than rush yards (150) against Minnesota, with Stevan Ridley running for 101 on 25 carries. The Patriots might look to their backs to take advantage of Oakland's porous run defense.

The Raiders (0-2) have given up a league-high 400 yards on the ground. Houston ran for 188 in a 30-14 victory in Oakland last Sunday, and veteran safety Charles Woodson said he was "embarrassed" by his team's showing.

"You can't allow a team to just run the football down the field on you," coach Dennis Allen said. "That has to change. Like I told the players, run defense is a mentality. Run defense is about lining up across from somebody, hitting them in the mouth, knocking them back, getting off a block, and making a play."

The Raiders were hoping to prevent those kind of performances after bringing in former Pro Bowlers Justin Tuck, LaMarr Woodley and Antonio Smith.

"It's no panic, but it has to be a sense of urgency," Tuck told the team's official website. "It has to be a button that you push that says we got to fix this and we've got to fix this in a hurry."

Oakland's offense had better success moving the ball in Derek Carr's second career start, gaining 364 against the Texans after totaling 158 in a season-opening loss to the New York Jets on Sept. 7. The Raiders, though, turned the ball over four times and entered the fourth quarter trailing 27-0.

"We're two weeks into the season. At the same time, you don't want to bury your head in the sand," Allen said. "We've got to get better. We need to do it fast."

Carr passed for 263 yards against Houston after finishing with 151 in his NFL debut, but had his first two interceptions. His quarterback rating of 80.6 ranks just ahead of Brady's.

"He's an athletic guy back there," New England coach Bill Belichick said. "He can certainly get the ball down the field. We know he's a smart kid."

Carr is also Oakland's leading rusher with 57 yards ahead of Darren McFadden (52) and Maurice Jones-Drew (11), who missed last week's loss with a right hand injury. Jones-Drew's status is unclear as the Raiders attempt to avoid their worst start since dropping their first five games in 2006.

Oakland has a league-low 32 rush attempts for 126 yards, and Carr scrambled for 41 on one play.

The Patriots, 9-0 at home last season including the playoffs, have won three straight overall against the Raiders, who have lost 12 of 13 on the road. They haven't claimed four in a row in the series since Nov. 4, 1960-Oct. 26, 1962, when the teams were in the AFL and New England was known as the Boston Patriots.

Belichick is seeking his 201st regular-season victory to break a tie with Marty Schottenheimer for fifth on the all-time list.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

NE hasn't looked like NE at all these first two weeks. Have to think this is the game where they get on track. O-line is a big concern though, and if there's one thing the Raiders do well on D it's pressure.

:patriots: - 30

:Raiders: - 17

I think an off Patriots team is still better than the Raiders.

:patriots: 30

:Raiders: 17

We have Edelman and Gronk. Need a 3rd receiving option.

a.) Amendola has had mild success in St Louis, proved himself to be useless here. Not sure what the deal is with him. He's been on the field, Brady never even looks at him. Not sure if he's not getting open or Brady just hates him.

b.) LaFell has terrible hands, doesn't seem like a very good route runner. BB is in love with him though cause he's a good blocker and plays ST.

c.) Dobson- my guy :yep: I want him to break out and have a big year so bad. Last week was his 1st game. We threw the 1st pass of the game to him for 12 yards and never looked his way again the rest of the game. Now, I'm not saying we need to force feed him the ball.. but I'd like to see a concerted effort to throw his way more often cause I think he has potential.

d.) Kenbrell Thompkins- unlikely to ever be anything more than a 3rd option. But a 3rd option is all we need right now..

One of Amendola, Thompkins, or Dobson will be inactive. It was Thompkins last week, I'm assuming he'll be inactive again.

Glad we're playing the Raiders, good team to try to find an offensive rhythm against.

Maurice Jones-Drew (hand) is inactive for Week 3 against the Patriots.

Jones-Drew returned to practice this week, but will miss his second straight game. Darren McFadden will get the majority of carries again this week, with Latavius Murray in a change-of-pace role.
The rest of the Raiders in actives are Matt Schaub, CB Chimdi Chekwa, LB Sio Moore, LB Nick Roach, RG Tony Bergstrom, and OT Matt McCants.

Shane Vereen (shoulder) is active for Week 3 against the Raiders.

Vereen was limited throughout the week and listed as questionable on the injury report. He's an RB2 in a plus matchup against Oakland.
Inactive for the Patriots are CB Alfonzo Dennard, RB James White, S Don Jones, OL Josh Kline, OL Ryan Wendell, and DL Zach Moore.

Aaron Dobson's inactive..

Don't get why we're sitting Dobson rather than the absolutely worthless bust city useless couldn't get open against my grandmother Danny Amendola.

cool, nice and interesting fact from that game: wilfork can catch a deflected pass better than gronkowski