Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Steelers @ Panthers

By NOEY KUPCHAN

STATS Writer

(AP) -- The unbeaten Carolina Panthers have managed to keep their focus on the field despite Greg Hardy's ongoing saga.

His situation should no longer be a distraction.

The Panthers have removed Hardy from the active roster ahead of Sunday night's showdown with the visiting Pittsburgh Steelers, who are looking to bounce back from an ugly Week 2 defeat.

Carolina announced the decision Wednesday to place Hardy on the exempt-commissioner's permission list. He was convicted July 15 of assault on a female and communicating threats after the victim claimed the 6-foot-4, 275-pound player threw her in the bathtub and onto a sofa covered with guns before threatening to kill her. Hardy is appealing the ruling and a jury trial is set for Nov. 17.

The decision to take him off the roster came two days after coach Ron Rivera said Hardy would continue to practice and attend team meetings, although his status for Sunday was still up in the air.

The All-Pro defensive end played in Week 1 but was deactivated hours before last week's game - two days after the coach said Hardy would play.

Cam Newton sat out Carolina's season-opening 20-14 road win over Tampa Bay due to a rib injury, before going 22 of 34 for 281 yards and a touchdown in last Sunday's 24-7 victory over Detroit. The Panthers haven't opened 3-0 since winning their first five games in 2003, when they went on to make their only Super Bowl appearance.

"I think we are headed in that direction," Rivera told the team's official website. "We have a lot of guys that have been in the system for (several) seasons now. It's starting to show. ... We can be better, and we've still got a long ways to go."

The Panthers didn't miss a beat without Hardy last week, forcing three turnovers for the second consecutive game. They've recorded seven sacks, tied for fourth most in the NFL.

Pittsburgh (1-1) is looking to clean things up following last Thursday's 26-6 loss at Baltimore. Ben Roethlisberger was 22 of 37 for 217 yards and an interception, one of three Steelers turnovers.

"We can't turn the ball over the way we did," Antonio Brown said after hauling in seven receptions for 90 yards. "We need to protect the ball better. When you go on the road and turn the ball over, it's very hard to overcome. We have a good offense. We will go back to the drawing board and find ways to put points in the board."

Pittsburgh has allowed 712 yards of offense in its two games and been outscored 50-9 over its last six quarters. The Steelers were called for nine more penalties against the Ravens, giving them 20 for 171 yards on the season.

"It's all something that needs to be addressed and quickly rectified," coach Mike Tomlin said. "We're two games into this one. Hopefully by the time we're able to compare this year to last or any year for that matter over a 16-, 19-game schedule or 20-game schedule if you will (that) we'll have a better showing than we have to this point."

While the Steelers are among three teams that haven't forced a turnover, the Panthers are one of four yet to commit one.

Carolina is averaging 3.1 yards per carry, way down from last year's 4.2 mark. With DeAngelo Williams out due to a thigh injury, Jonathan Stewart carried the ball 15 times for 37 yards and a touchdown against the Lions.

Mike Tolbert exited the game with a bruised sternum, but Carolina is hoping he and Williams will be able to go Sunday.

Le'Veon Bell has proved to be a rare bright spot for Pittsburgh with 5.3 yards per carry. His 304 yards from scrimmage rank second in the league, but finding room to run could be difficult against a Panthers team allowing 86.0 rushing yards per game.

Only three teams have surrendered more than Pittsburgh's 340 yards on the ground.

"Guys just aren't making the tackles we need to make," rookie linebacker Ryan Shazier said. "A lot of times we get the guy stood up but don't get him to the ground. There is a lot of yards after contact. We've just got to do the job."

The Steelers are 4-1 against the Panthers, having taken the last four matchups by an average of 21.0 points. They last met in 2010.

Carolina has won 13 of its last 14 regular-season games and eight straight at home by 16.6 points per contest.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

The Panthers were able to control Megatron somewhat and that threw off the Lions' offense. They'll do the same to Antonio Brown and force the Steelers into the ground game. Steelers' D needs too much work to contain Cam and Kelvin.

:panthers: - 31

:Steelers: - 20

Going to go with the Panthers in this one. Their defense is the determining factor for me. I think the Panthers will be able to make more plays on a suspect defense.

:panthers: 27

:Steelers: 21

Steelers RB/KR Dri Archer (ankle) is inactive for Sunday night's Week 3 game against the Panthers.

Archer practiced on a limited basis this week and could return in Week 4.
The rest of the Steelers inactives are QB Landry Jones, LG Ramon Foster, NT Dan McCullers, CB B.W. Weeb, and OL Wesley Johnson. WR Martavis Bryant is a healthy scratch.

Panthers declared DeAngelo Williams (thigh) and Jerricho Cotchery (hamstring) inactive for Sunday night's Week 3 game against the Steelers.

It's a surprise as the Panthers repeatedly said they expected Williams to suit up. Instead, it'll be Jonathan Stewart as the starter and flex option in a plus matchup at home against a weak Pittsburgh defense. With Cotchery out, the Panthers' top-two wideouts will be Kelvin Benjamin and Jason Avant.
The rest of their inactives: QB Joe Webb, S Tre Boston, RB Fozzy Whittaker, G Andrew Norwell and David OT Foucoult.

Release-the-kraken.jpg

Without Hardy, the Panthers don't have the best front 7 in the league. Without the best front 7 in the league, the Panthers no-names get utterly exposed in the secondary because they can't cover for more than a few seconds.

The fact that Hardy is now out smacks of Jerry Jonesism. It's Richardson's influence that forced him out before the legal process has gone through. The political correctness and the asinine immediate judgement of the media and the Panthers bowing to that is going to cost us a season. Not exaggerating, I think, since without Hardy, Carolina is not a Super Bowl threat. He is a lynchpin to that defense. Any team with a good or great O-line will have plenty of time to carve up Carolina.

Also, since when can Carolina run the ball? Everyone is talking about Carolina being built around the run- we aren't. We just pay our RB's an obscene amount of money to suck ass and let Cam get 60% of the actual yardage.

Edited by Thanatos19

The last time Carolina was good at running the ball was Cam's rookie year. The main two backs combined for 297 carries, 1597 yards (5.4 YPC) and 11 rushing TD's.

Cam wishes he had that back.

• Upvote 1

Thank you, Razor.

Heard that from the media all day, about how Carolina is a power running team. We aren't, in the slightest. We wish we were, but we aren't and haven't been for awhile.

I enjoyed this game. A very solid effort by both teams but the better disciplined team on this day won. Carolina make some huge mistakes that led to some Steelers TDs. An encroachment call on a 3 and out in the redzone and the Steelers capitalized and scored and Philly Brown muffing and fumbling that punt that resulted in a Steelers special teams TD. I think Cam played a good game and was moving the ball pretty well. There were only two missed opportunities on the Panthers offense that stood out for me. While Kelvin Benjamin had an awesome game and is proving the doubters wrong, he had a catch in the endzone that I think he could have came down with. It may have been a difficult catch but I think he was in position for it. Can't come down with them all but still had a great game. Also, later in the 2nd half on a critical 3rd down, Cam missed a pass to Avant that would have placed them close to the goal line but they had to settle for a FG.

However though, I have to give credit to the Steelers defense because they did a good job getting pressure on Cam on 3rd down when it counted. I simply LOVE watching Le'Veon Bell run the ball. The kid has so much patience, great vision and has crisp cuts that make him fun to watch. His agility with his bounce/jump cuts is amazing. He's able to make guys miss with the crisp jump cut, stop and then go. It's because he has nice acceleration after his jump cut and is able to pick up some solid yards. He's easily the most entertaining RB to watch right now.

Overall, I believe both of these teams are in great shape.

Edited by Dutch

Meant to say this about the game, but that TD to Antonio Brown in the back of the end zone while Ben was on the run is one of the absolute best throws I've ever seen.

Meant to say this about the game, but that TD to Antonio Brown in the back of the end zone while Ben was on the run is one of the absolute best throws I've ever seen.

Similar to the throw he made to Sanantonio Holmes in the Superbowl.

Similar to the throw he made to Sanantonio Holmes in the Superbowl.

That's exactly what I was thinking as I was watching the play unfold, very much alike.

Also :lol: @ Sanantonio

Edited by Crash3021
  • Upvote 1