Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Patriots @ Chiefs

By JORDAN GARRETSON

STATS Writer

(AP) -- The New England Patriots have regularly been among the NFL's top offenses for the better part of a decade, but a pedestrian start has some wondering whether their run as an explosive unit may be over.

Luckily, an improved defense has done most of the heavy lifting thus far.

New England's struggling offense looks to provide some relief for its defense Monday night when it visits the Kansas City Chiefs, who hope to get Jamaal Charles back.

The Patriots (2-1) have failed to crack 300 yards of offense twice in three games after doing so only four times in 2013. They haven't finished below eighth in total offense since 2006, but are currently 27th in the league at 301.3 yards per game.

"We can do just really pretty much everything better offensively," coach Bill Belichick said. "Everything. Blocking, throwing, catching, running, run reads, routes, distribution, you name it."

Tom Brady's slow start has been targeted by many of New England's critics. He ranks 30th with 5.54 yards per attempt, and his 82.9 passer rating is 23rd. The nine-time Pro Bowler has completed just 1 of his 13 attempts of 21 yards or longer downfield.

Brady has leaned heavily on Julian Edelman, who is tied for fifth in the NFL with 22 receptions - twice as many as Rob Gronkowski, who is second. However, Gronkowski has been in on just 48.2 percent of the team's plays as he continues to settle in following knee surgery.

New addition Brandon Lafell has just four catches while Danny Amendola has three.

New England's offensive line - which traded former All-Pro guard Logan Mankins in late August - has also struggled to protect Brady, surrendering seven sacks.

"We've got some new players. We've got different things that are happening," said Brady, who is 219 yards shy of becoming the sixth quarterback to reach 50,000. "We're all trying to get used to one another and used to the things we're doing."

Brady has won four of his five career starts against the Chiefs, throwing for seven TDs and posting a 110.0 passer rating in the victories. That includes a 17-10 win on Sept. 7, 2008, when Brady suffered a torn ACL in the first quarter and was lost for the rest of the season.

The Patriots have also been ineffective on the ground with a 3.5 yards-per-carry average that ranks near the bottom of the league. New England managed just 76 yards in Sunday's 16-9 win over Oakland, which had given up 400 rushing yards in its first two games.

Belichick's defense has compensated for the offense's lack of success. The Patriots are tied for the NFL lead with six interceptions and have limited opponents to 272.7 yards per game after giving up 373.1 last year.

New England, which held the Vikings and Raiders to a combined 121 rushing yards, will face a Kansas City (1-2) team that relied on Knile Davis for career highs of 32 carries for 132 yards in the absence of Charles in Sunday's 34-15 win at Miami.

Coach Andy Reid is hopeful Charles (ankle) will be able to play.

Quarterback Alex Smith was also an efficient 19 of 25 for 186 yards and three TDs, helping deliver a much-needed victory for the Chiefs, who face a difficult stretch with games at San Francisco and San Diego following this contest.

"Momentum's a funny thing," Smith said. "It's hard to put your finger on it, but certainly, this helps. This is what you're looking for, a win on the road, a tough win, I thought."

Smith is also seeking better protection after being sacked five times Sunday and 11 times on the season, trailing only the 16 absorbed by Jacksonville's Chad Henne. Kansas City will again be without right tackle Donald Stephenson, who will complete his suspension for violating the league's drug policy.

Reid assumed some of the blame for the offensive line's issues.

"Some of that, especially early, that was my responsibility," Reid said. "We're in long-yardage situations, taking seven-step drops. I have to be a little smarter with the play call. And then the other ones, we have to make sure we block the right guys and do the right things."

These clubs haven't met since the Patriots won 34-3 at home on Nov. 21, 2011. Gronkowski caught four passes for 96 yards and two TDs.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

Edited by BLUE

I think we'll win but wouldn't be surprised at all if we lose. Offensive line needs to play better. Brady is getting hit at a rate that won't allow him to last til the end of the season. We can't run the ball. So unless the Oline starts playing better we're not going anywhere this season.

Give me the home team in a matchup that is too close to call otherwise.

:Patriots: 20

:Chiefs: 23

Brady's O-line gives him time to throw, the Pats will probably win though.

Edited by Thanatos19

We're gonna start calling him Turf Brady because he won't be leaving it anytime soon.

:Chiefs: 24

:patriots: 19

• Upvote 1

Patriots are looking real shaky right now. This will be one of those moments when the Patriots perform average, the world panics, bets against them and then they respond by blowing out the opposing team.

:Chiefs: 24

:patriots: 23

Chiefs SS Eric Berry (ankle) is inactive for Monday night's Week 4 game against the Patriots.

As expected. Berry has a high-ankle sprain.
Also inactive for the Chiefs are RB De'Anthony Thomas, QB Aaron Murray, WR Albert Wilson, RB Joe McKnight, OL Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, and DL Damion Square.
McKnight tore his Achilles' in Thursday's practice after his two-touchdown game against Miami.

Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins are both healthy inactives for Monday night's Week 4 game against the Chiefs.

That's back-to-back weeks for Dobson being a scratch. The Patriots will roll with Julian Edelman, Danny Amendola, and Brandon LaFell as their top three receivers.
Also inactive for Week 4 are OL Josh Kline, OL Jordan Devey, DL Zach Moore, DL Casey Walker, and CB Alfonzo Dennard.

Tom Brady - "When I suck, I'll retire" :panic: :panic: :panic:

Jesus. Just got home from work. I picked the Chiefs to win but didn't think it was going to be a blowout. Going to watch the game tomorrow but it appears to be another bad game from Brady.

Probably gotta taper my expectations for this team. Not sure why I'm expecting anything more than what we've gotten offensively when you surround the QB with garbage. No one can get open, the OLine sucks, McDaniels is mentally challenged, trading Logan Mankins looks to have caused a major problem in the locker room just in terms of lack of leadership.

Reminds me a lot of the 2009 team.

:Chiefs: 70

:Patriots: 3

I was decently close. :slingblade:

And pump the brakes on the 2009 team comparison, Brady...

This team is less talented than the 2009 team, but my god, what a bunch of fucking pussies that 2009 squad was. Gutless losers they were.

Pats make playoffs at 6-10 in the dumpster fire AFC East.