Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Your Team: The Overrated, Underrated, Enigmas and Trash

Overrated: Lamarr Mutha F@!*$#% Houston was supposed to be a huge sign on the defensive line for his rare blend of pass rush and run stuffing ability. I was able to look a little at his work in Oakland and then his college tape where he was a 3-4 DE and I wondered how in the world is he going to provide pressure on the edge. Four weeks and I'm still asking that question. Jared Allen as I've said earlier still has the motor, but doesn't have the wheels. He is much much slower and in the trenches seconds are the difference between impact plays and non-plays. This one BURNS to say but Tim Jennings. And really it probably shouldn't be because corner is the easiest position to go from underrated to overrated. He was an all-pro, then a pro-bowler, and now he is just being picked on. I had faith that he could go 1on1 with a 80% of the receivers in the league and be fine, but his play against the Packers and even the Jets has killed any hope I had left that he is a top tier corner.

Underrated: Stephen Paea has been horribly underrated to the point some wanted him cut. He is asked to play the 1-technique and he holds his ground with unbelievable strength (set combine bench record his draft year) and he pass rushes SO well in his rare 1on1 opportunities. Chris Conte really weirdly has to be placed here because most Bears fans think he can't start for a high school team, but as I've said he is a cover guy with a lack of speed who needs a nice head start, but due to bad run defense he has been cheated up to help run and results in him being burnt or late to coverage. So slightly underrated. Matt Slauson was horribly underrated by me and most Jets fans until I see how we can't run the ball against any decent defense without him. Guards do two jobs all game so they don't seem valuable until you get someone who can't do one of those jobs consistently. Martellus Bennett in my mind was a beast coming from the Giants. His size and YAC ability and before Alshon started heating up, he made the best catches I seen on the team. Now this year he is a lot more involved in the gameplan and the Black Unicorn is paying dividends.

Enigmas: Kyle Fuller and alot of people will scratch their head at this one, but I say this because evaluating him in the draft I always felt his best position would be safety. With his size and tackling ability and range I thought we could get him started at the free safety while we waited for Tillman to retire. Of course his huge highs at corner make you say YES, but then his lows (Packers) make you say idk. Willie Young easily the best pass rusher on the team, but fell dead against the Jets' right side of the offense line and again against Green Bay. The guy who lead the league in QB pressures last year brings flashes, but disappears now and then. He never could really hold a starting spot in Detroit so maybe there is a reason they let him walk. Santonio Holmes hasn't had enough to time to know the entire offense, but has looked fine as a third except a few mistakes. This guy was a superbowl MVP and had to deal with Mark Sanchez :facepalm: as his QB in New York. So can his guy become a stud when he earns Cutler's trust or is he just at the end of the rope?

Trash: DJ Mutha F*&%$# Williams makes me wanna go clean a Taco Bell bathroom whether then watch him play. Please cut him :thumbup2:

Evaluate your team from the coaching staff on down. Who's overrated? Who's underrated? Who are the enigmas? Who doesn't belong in the stadium?

Vikings:

Overrated: Cordarrelle Patterson. Don't get me wrong, he's all kinds of electric, but he's still very raw as a wide receiver and it shows in his lack of targets through 4 games. He's been completely neutralized from week 2 on and purple fans would be wise to pump the brakes on the praise. Kyle Rudolph. Similar to Patterson, but Rudolph has every tool at his disposal but still disappears for weeks at a time. You factor that in with his injury history and it makes you wonder if the Vikings should have tried to hold on to John Carlson.

Underrated: Matt Asiata. No, he's not a great back. Yes, he's going to struggle to top 100 yards most weeks. At the same time, the guy is an absolute freight train who gains yards, even it's just 2-3 on some plays. He's hard to tackle, hangs on to the damn football, and is all but a sure thing anywhere near the goal line. Vikings fans need to appreciate Asiata a bit and try not to clamor for the Jerrick McKinnon show too soon. Anthony Barr. Everybody expected struggles for the UCLA product, but so far he's been Minnesota's best linebacker in a fairly strong grouping that's flying under the rader. Barr is a ferocious tackler with his speed and size, and has proven to be better in coverage than the team could have hoped for. Josh Robinson. Robinson was a laughingstock last year, but most fans knew he simply isn't a slot corner. Robinson excels on the outside, with good physical ability and a fierce competitiveness that he wears on his sleeve. In his natural position, Robinson has been making plays for this Vikings team, and I think we're a few weeks from seeing him supplant Munnerlyn in the starting lineup. Mike Zimmer. At this site, we know how great Mike Zimmer is, but from the perspective of general NFL fans, it's hard to believe that this coaching hire wasn't praised, universally. Zimmer coaches a heck of a defense and gets the most out of what he has. Minnesota is still having its hiccups, but is playing at an elite level in spurts and I hope that's the direction this team is heading.

Enigmas: Matt Kalil. He's not as bad as overreactive Vikings fans might tell you. He pretty much neutralized Robert Quinn in week 1, then followed it up with two sub par performances. Yesterday, he was a beast all over again. It just goes to show that in today's NFL, very few tackles can dominate with a statue at quarterback. Bridgewater makes Kalil's job much easier. Xavier Rhodes. The kid shows elite corner potential, but is still getting burned from time to time. Most corners will, but it's hard to look past some of the plays he gives up. Nevertheless, he makes flash plays that showcase his size and physical ability. He knocked a deep ball away from Julio Jones yesterday, which turned out to be a big play that might have saved the game. Jarius Wright. I wanted to cut him after the first 3 games and give Adam Theilen and/or Rodney Smith more snaps at receiver, but week 4 comes around and he makes me look like an idiot for doubting him. I don't know if Bridgewater will continue to use him as effectively or if this is just a flash in the pan, but we'll find out on Thursday. Wright had a nice 50+ yard reception early in yesterday's game, but he should have been able to take it to the house. Seeing a Saints DB scream up behind him and tackle him around the 20 was disheartening. Not every Vikings WR can take it to the house with YAC, but there's no way Wright should have been caught on the play. I'll give him his due--he had a great game, yesterday, but there were still some red flags, out there. Robert Blanton. Perhaps he's just a young safety, but Blanton is a lot like Rhodes in that he looks good a lot of the time, then gets embarrassed by guys like Antone Smith for a long TD run. Blanton makes nice plays in pass defense, and is a good tackler. He gets lost from time to time back there, and was responsible for the Josh Hill touchdown, last week. I think he'll come around, but his bust plays often lead to touchdowns for the opposing team, and they can't keep happening at the rate that they are, now. Norv Turner. Yeah, I get it, he's an offensive "mastermind" but to score 16 total points against two defenses that have proven inconsistent over the first four weeks is baffling. I'd rather see some consistency, some more effort to getting the ball to Patterson in other ways. Too many Patterson decoy plays.

Trash: Charlie Johnson. I don't care if he revitalized his career at guard. I don't care if he's a veteran presence. Charlie Johnson is still a mediocre offensive lineman, at best, and is penalty prone. The Vikings need to look for an upgrade in the offseason or this line will fail to meet it's potential with Kalil and Sullivan as cornerstones. Sullivan's nearly 30 already. Let's put a good guard to his left. Captain Munnerlyn. Thanatos warned every team that signed secondary members coming over for the Panthers, but few could speculate that Munnerlyn is as bad as he is. First and foremost, he has to be the worst tackling corner I've seen not named Mike Jenkins, and he's too small to be dominant in pass defense, though he has some skills, in that department. He's scored quite a few defensive touchdowns, but has yet to force a turnover for the Vikings. To top it all off, he's as dumb as a rock. Check that, he IS the rock by which all stupid people are compared. I am not impressed with Captain at all, and hope to see him cut or moved down the depth chart, where he belongs. Jeff Locke. Look, I get it--some people viewed Chris Kluwe as a distraction because he stood up for what's right when he really should have only cared about FUTBARR!! but to cut him and draft a mediocre replacement is going to burn this team, in the long run. Locke is not even close to as proficient as Kluwe at pinning teams inside their twenty, and I've yet to see him blast a punt with great distance when this team needs it. I expect Locke to be out of the league in a few years, but I hope it's the Vikings that send him packing after (or in) this season. Get the hell out of the league, Jeff Locke.

There is one real surprise for the Texans that deserves kudos for the way he has turned his fortunes around and that is RT Derek Newton.

Last season the entire fan base was calling for his head, but so far this year he is the #5 rated RT in the entire league and has been rated as high as #2.

He is a big part of the more efficient than expected play from Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Guest Phailadelphia

Read your PMs dude :lol:

I did. Not interested in trading Gerhart just yet. Lo siento, guey.

Overrated: Where to start? Head Coach Sean (What the hell is a running game and I promise to utilize it more this year) Payton.....Drew (There is nothing wrong with my arm strength and we are here to have fun) Brees......Jimmy (What is blocking and why won't these DB's let me have a free release at the snap) Gramham.......The vastly "Improved" (2013 was an anomoly) Defense

Underrated: Tho probably not on here because I have heard a few people talk about how good he is but most fans of NFL teams have no idea who the hell Pierre Thomas is. He is only the most complete running back we have and vastly underutilized. Hell even Payton has no idea he is still on the team apparently. Another one is Keenan Lewis who is our only cornerback who knows how to play conerback.

Egnima: Will the real Kenny Vaccaro please stand up...and will Marques Colston please stop his dissappearing act from time to time

Trash: Have I mentioned the defense yet? Oh yeh I have. Well to be more specific the cornerbacks we have are a pickem outside of Keenan Lewis. Just pick one to throw at and complete your pass.

Edited by Eefluxx

Your really good corner is named Keenan Lewis. Keenan Allen is my huckleberry on the Chargers.

Can you tell I was slightly angry when I wrote that lol, can't believe I made that mistake thanks for the correction