Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Steve Smith unloads on Panthers G.M., coach, Greg Hardy

Posted by Darin Gantt on October 1, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT

The blood and guts arrived a few days later than many expected.

Ravens wide receiver Steve Smith mostly played nice as his new team beat his old one Sunday. But he unloaded on his old bosses Wednesday, taking shots at both General Manager Dave Gettleman (who we knew he didn’t like) and coach Ron Rivera (who we didn’t suspect created that kind of animosity).

Smith called in to WFNZ’s “Bustin’ Loose” with Frank Garcia and Mark Yarbro, and fired several volleys in the direction of the team he gave 13 years to, saying neither Gettleman nor Rivera were straight with him.

“Every time I keep reading stuff and reports come out, I just think I was stabbed in the back,” Smith said. “Just like coach Rivera said he wasn’t a sore loser, but yet he never even spoke to me through the whole ordeal. Not one time. He didn’t look at me man-to-man and said this was going down. He said he’s a players’ coach but he never came in and said, ‘Hey Smitty, this is going on. Wanted to give you a heads up.’ He hid in his office.

“Then you come at the end of the game and I play decent and then you come and shake my hand and say, ‘Congratulations. I hope the family’s well. Good luck.’ But we were supposed to be boys and respected me. You would have done it from the jump. You don’t do it at the end. And then you tell the media. Why? So you can look a certain way.”

That was a little surprising, less so was his criticism of Gettleman, who got the ball rolling at the Combine by saying he was “evaluating,” Smith’s play, and then came home to tell Smith he was gone.

Smith said Wednesday that Gettleman referred to him as a “shadow” of his former self.

“He doesn’t even have the cojones to tell us to our face [about being released],” Smith said. “We have to hear it from someone else. Then he calls and says it wasn’t personal. If the first thing that comes out is ‘Well it wasn’t personal,’ then guess what? It was personal.”

Smith also made it clear he wasn’t happy with being portrayed as a distraction, pointing to the team’s willingness to hang onto defensive end Greg Hardy with a $13.1 million franchise tag. He referenced the three teammates he punched, but said that was not comparable to the current situation.

“I’ve always been a distraction?” Smith said. “But I didn’t hit my wife. Yeah I hit some teammates six or seven years ago but I didn’t beat my wife. I didn’t get arrested for DUIs. I didn’t fall off no motorcycles. …

“All I did was charity work in Charlotte. I made mistakes. But building this big ol’ crutch about it like as if I pushed their hand?”

The reasons the Panthers cut Smith have been obvious. He didn’t play well with others, specifically quarterback Cam Newton.

But his frustration on the way out the door speaks to tensions with Gettleman that indicate there was more than one personality at play in the decision that sent him to Baltimore.

Source: ProFootballTalk

Edited by BLUE

:tissue:

I think that Smith is definitely sour, and he's still upset about the situation as opposed to moving on. But with that said, that's just Steve Smith, guy is passionate and always has been.

Smith should have finished his career with the Panthers, and probably would have done so, but they pushed him out the door and let him go. Sad really. He's still a polarizing receiver.

• Upvote 2

They were dead wrong and got owned. Stupid way of doing business. If he didn't play well with Newton then that's Newton's fault. Jake Delhomme balled out with Smith.

• Upvote 1

No. The reason was plain and simple.

Gettleman doesn't like him personally. Now, the reason he gave, at least privately, was that he was afraid Cam was zeroing in on Steve, and Steve was no longer able to get open like he once was. He was afraid that Smith would permanently hinder Cam's development and prevent him from becoming the QB he could be for a long time, or perhaps ever.

Smith played poorly last season for us. He was battling an injury, though, but Gettleman apparently didn't care to take that into account.

Releasing him was always a mistake, and Gettleman allowed his personal dislike to influence a decision that cost this team a chance to really make some noise. Twice. If we have Hardy, and Smith is in the slot alongside KB, this team is a legit contender. Without both of those guys, I doubt we're even a playoff team unless the South completely falls apart.

KB is marvelous and he could easily end up with ORotY. But with Cam unable to use his legs, pretty much at all, KB is not enough to carry the offense. Hurney's idiotic contracts- paying two oft-injured and one over the hill RB 60 million dollars between them- definitely factors into this, as the Panthers cannot run the ball at all right now. Haven't been able to for 2 and a half years. But if we keep Smith and don't let the media pressure make us throw Hardy under the bus, we are still able to solidly contend. The pieces are there.

More and more stuff is coming out that Gettleman lost the locker room when he did that to Hardy. The message was that the organization wont stand behind you if the situation is uncertain. You are simply thrown to the media dogs and if you get out of that alright, then fine, you can come back. But we won't help you do it. And we won't assume you are innocent until proven guilty.

That, combined with the way he handled the release of a franchise icon- especially if what Smitty said is true- just makes me despise him.

The biggest issue is still Mike Shula. Until we get rid of him and get an actual OC that doesn't run the ball with Darrin Reaves when we are down 21 points on first and second down over and over again, we won't go anywhere. Shula's philosophy is exactly the opposite of "Riverboat" Ron- who seems to have been replaced, again, by "Overly-Conservative Ron"- and is not what this team needs. Shula will never win a Superbowl with anyone as their OC unless he does a complete 180. I'd say he probably won't win a playoff game.

Long-term plan to compete in 2015:

1. Fire Shula. Ideally, re-hire Chudzinski. If not Chud, get someone who has some imagination and creativity.

2. Go get somebody and try them out at the LT and RT positions and stop feeding us this bullcrap that the answer is on the roster. Continue trying out people until we either find one that can actually play the position, or the season ends, in which case we have to find the answer in the draft.

3. Pull Cam until he is good enough to be himself. If that isn't until next season, so be it. He's getting murdered behind Byron Bell and Nate Chandler.

4. Draft good O-linemen, a solid CB, and one more good WR in this next draft.

Edited by Thanatos19

I have never really been a huge fan of Steve Smith the person... And I agree that he is still sour and venting unnecessarily here. But if what he is saying is true, it's pretty lame. Dave Gettleman can not and should not be ranking very highly in the minds of Panther fans.

The way he left Carolina (again, if what he says is completely true).... Was, indeed, a bit souring. I can't really blame him for harboring ill will towards the Panthers front office. Yes, this is a business... But if you don't handle business with respect, it will eventually come back and bite you.

Doesn't seem to me like Mr. Gettleman has much respect for the business.

• Upvote 1

I feel like he shouldn't have said anything because he said all that needed to be said on the field Sunday.

^This

But Steve Smith is ALWAYS going to speak his mind, it's who he is.

Gettleman is a POS and there's no way around it. A Panthers offense with Steve Smith and Benjamin would be a sight, and would be a great positive for that team, however... someone thought otherwise.

Good for Smith doing well in Baltimore though, but that has to be bittersweet because I know Steve wants to retire a Panther.

• Upvote 1

Ron Rivera was on a Chicago Radio show today of course because of his ties back when he coached and played here. And when asked about the situation he just said he is not talking about it again and just wants to forget about it and never think of it again. Sounds like someone who knows they messed up. I believe every word from Steve Smith. I always hate to see great players not able to end the way they want to.

• Upvote 1

I too believe what Smith said, but I don't agree with your line of reasoning there.

Rivera is doing the correct thing. You don't dwell on it, there's no point. At best, it's Rivera's word against Smith's. And who are the Panther fans going to believe? It's best to move on and try as much as you can to prevent it becoming a distraction.

I too believe what Smith said, but I don't agree with your line of reasoning there.

Rivera is doing the correct thing. You don't dwell on it, there's no point. At best, it's Rivera's word against Smith's. And who are the Panther fans going to believe? It's best to move on and try as much as you can to prevent it becoming a distraction.

I would agree if he denied what Smith said, but he didn't. It can go either way, but for me I felt if he was being portrayed in a false light then it would have been very easy to say those stories aren't true and then say he is moving on. He wouldn't even go that far to deny the stories, but just wanted to keep saying it didn't matter and it's over. That sounds guilty IMO.

Haven't been on these forums that much but just thought I would throw my two cents on the Smitty rant. I think people need to look at this from a neutral perspective and agree he could have refuted these reports from Rapoport in a short statement instead of going on a 20 minute shot taking rant on a local Charlotte radio station to throw the Panthers and management under the bus. I have said from the get go no body's hands are clean in this situation though and there are three sides to this story Smitty's version, the Panthers version, and the truth (which we will never know). Also taking a shot at Hardy was uncalled for in this rant as well.

Smitty did all the talking he needed to on the field Sunday and got his "Revenge" and Gettleman did handle this process poorly as to his release but as a Panthers fan I still think this was the best move for both parties. This gave Smitty a chip on his shoulder again to prove people wrong and a fresh start in a team he seems to fit in with more. The Panthers wanted to go younger at the WR group and believed with him here it would hurt the development of KB. I agree I don't believe KB would be doing as well as he has with Smith here.

There were reports Sunday by Ian Rapoport that Smitty had asked for his release and refused a paycut. If you listen to Smitty's rant Smitty basically admits to the paycut part when his contract is brought up. As for Smitty's side of the story being 100% truth. I don't believe it sure some parts may have the truth in them but stretched to a degree including once you listen to the counter interviews that happened the very next day on the same station he ranted on from Ian Rapoport and very credible Panthers news source and owner of Black and Blue Review Bill Voth. I will link the audio below to both those interviews. In the end the Panthers WR group is much improved this year and done much better then last year and not our issues on offense this season, I would venture to say Cam has played much better from the pocket this season and accuracy has seemed much better.

Even had #89 stayed he would not be able to help with the o-line issues and injuries at running back, injured QB, and probably wouldn't be having the start to the year he is having with the Ravens who's offensive line and offense in a overall perspective is much better built then the Panthers at the moment. This was the best move for both parties and while I hope Smitty returns under a one day contract and retires a Panther and has his number retired and all. I just hope his mouth on this rant didn't delay that from happening. Anyways here is the links to the audio on the interviews that happened the next day I think is worth a listen when given this situation a better perspective from all sides not just Smitty's version.

Bill Voth of BBR Interview (The day after Smitty Rant). Click the link below & forward to 25:00 minutes in.

NFL Insider Ian Rapoport Interview (The day after Smitty Rant). Click the link below.
Edited by panthergf