Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Jairus Byrd out for the season

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000404737/article/saints-safety-jairus-byrd-placed-on-injured-reserve

Saints place Jairus Byrd (meniscus) on injured reserve

Jairus Byrd rough start in New Orleans just got a whole lot worse.

The evolution of the NFL:
Take a look at how the NFL has evolved from its humble roots, and the efforts being made to ensure it continues to grow.

evolution_120207_250.jpg

Saints coach Sean Payton announced Friday that Byrd will miss the season after tearing his lateral meniscus ligament in practice Thursday. Byrd will be placed on season-ending injured reserve.

Byrd earned the most guaranteed money of any free agent during the 2014 offseason, getting $26.3 million guaranteed on a six-year, $54 million deal from the Saints. Things starting going wrong almost right away.

Byrd underwent back surgery in May, was limited for much of training camp and did not look like his usual self on the field this season. A three-time Pro Bowl selection in Buffalo, Byrd was missing tackles and giving up big plays as a member of the Saints. It did not look like he was on the same page with defensive coordinator Rob Ryan and fellow safety Kenny Vaccaro.

The Saints have had one of the worst defenses in the league, and that has started with their poor play on the back end. Rafael Bush will replace Byrd in the starting lineup.

Saints paid bank for Byrd who has been very underwhelming so far and now he has been rendered completely useless tearing his meniscus now out for the season. The Saints have had a brutal offseason so far letting go of players who are performing at a high level (Darren Sproles and Malcolm Jenkins :wub:) and signing a mega contract that has back fired.

Hopefully Bush can light a fire under the underwhelming defense. Even our only home game wasn't that great.

Hate to see Byrd out for the year but that article pretty much summed up what alot of Saints fan have been saying about him since the season started.

NFC South has suffered hardcore from us, Atlanta, Tampa, and New Orleans with injuries this year which has lead to it still being wide open. While I expect the Saints to eventually be the team to beat. I think all these injuries to everyone is leaving this wide open for anyone to win this year.

Saints are done with 1 more loss this early in this year. They don't look good at all on either side of the ball.

I dont think the Saints are the team to beat at all. Its still Carolina, as bad as we've looked the past two weeks, with Atlanta right behind them. The division is between the Falcons and the Panthers, IMO, unless a miracle happens in Nawlins on defense or Glennon steps up big time in Tampa.

Guest Phailadelphia

Yall see now why Dallas fired Rob Ryan and why no one has given him a head coaching gig yet?

Yall see now why Dallas fired Rob Ryan and why no one has given him a head coaching gig yet?

Really? Overreacting to 3 bad games. Really?

If I'm not mistaken the New Orleans Saints offense has been putrid (comparatively), so far. That hasn't helped. Rob took garbage and turned it into a very good defense, last season. A few struggles this year and he's the problem? Give me a damn break.

Can we please stop overreacting to such minimal evidence? Please?

Rob will get it figured out. Dallas never should made him a scapegoat. Even if it worked out because of Marinelli, firing Rob and hiring Monte Kiffin was one of the worst decisions of Jerry's career.

Really? Overreacting to 3 bad games. Really?

If I'm not mistaken the New Orleans Saints offense has been putrid (comparatively), so far. That hasn't helped. Rob took garbage and turned it into a very good defense, last season. A few struggles this year and he's the problem? Give me a damn break.

Can we please stop overreacting to such minimal evidence? Please?

Rob will get it figured out. Dallas never should made him a scapegoat. Even if it worked out because of Marinelli, firing Rob and hiring Monte Kiffin was one of the worst decisions of Jerry's career.

Overreacting? Rob Ryan is one of the most overrated coaches in the NFL.

Ryan defense have only ranked in the Top 10, twice his entire career :yao:.

Overreacting? Rob Ryan is one of the most overrated coaches in the NFL.

Ryan defense have only ranked in the Top 10, twice his entire career :yao:.

And in that career, who has he coached as a DC? Oakland, Cleveland, Dallas, and New Orleans. Not exactly defensive hotbeds lol. The guy is a damn good coach. Nobody's called him great, but he hasn't had greatness to work with, either.

There's a difference between overrated and hated for his personality.

Guest Phailadelphia

Great coaches make good teams out of average players. Ryan has never been able to do that.

The Saints went into the offseason very tight against the salary cap and decided to let a bunch of solid players go in favor of who they thought was a gamebreaker at FS. Now they're paying the price.

Oh, and ironically, Malcolm Jenkins is BALLING in Philly this year.

Edited by SteVo
  • Upvote 2

Great coaches make good teams out of average players. Ryan has never been able to do that.

Did you not watch the Saints last year? They had a top 5 defense after having a historically bad defense the year before. They averaged giving up 28 points and 440 yards PER GAME in 2012. The next closest team gave up 380 yards per game.

The Saints defense simply isn't that good and Ryan somehow got a huge turn around out of the defense last year. I'll admit that I haven't watched the Saints play much this year, but I think it's more of a player problem than coaching. Not sure why everyone is throwing all of the blame on Ryan. The defense was a disaster when he came in and they played out of their minds last year.

• Upvote 2

Guest Phailadelphia

Did you not watch the Saints last year? They had a top 5 defense after having a historically bad defense the year before. They averaged giving up 28 points and 440 yards PER GAME in 2012. The next closest team gave up 380 yards per game.

The Saints defense simply isn't that good and Ryan somehow got a huge turn around out of the defense last year. I'll admit that I haven't watched the Saints play much this year, but I think it's more of a player problem than coaching. Not sure why everyone is throwing all of the blame on Ryan. The defense was a disaster when he came in and they played out of their minds last year.

And this is what we call an anomaly. One good season does not a great coach make.

Edited by Phailadelphia

And this is what we call an anomaly. One good season does not a great coach make.

Nor does one bad season make an awful coach.

The trouble is, Rob Ryan has had way more than one bad season.

Guest Phailadelphia

Good thing he has a body of work going back 10 years we can look at.

• Upvote 2

Good thing he has a body of work going back 10 years we can look at.

I believe that there, is what they call a kill shot. ^_^

And in that career, who has he coached as a DC? Oakland, Cleveland, Dallas, and New Orleans. Not exactly defensive hotbeds lol. The guy is a damn good coach. Nobody's called him great, but he hasn't had greatness to work with, either.

There's a difference between overrated and hated for his personality.

His brother has an abrasive personality too, but he's been a HC since what? '07 or '08? That's because Rex Ryan knows what he's doing, his players play hard for him and his schemes work. He's a top 3 defensive mind in the game at the least. Get that man some talent and a good OC. Rob and Rex look very similar except one is a fat greasy slob and the other is a hell of a football coach.

• Upvote 1