seanbrock

5 Favorite Players Not On Your Team

JJ Watt- Love watching this guy play. He has so much heart and he might just be the best defensive player I've ever seen. Didn't really get to appreciate Reggie White because I was so young but this list includes guys like Ray Lewis, Derrick Brooks, Michael Strahan, Brian Dawkins, Troy Polamalu...he's that good.

Aaron Rodgers- Kind of echoes my thoughts on Watt. Rodgers is easily the best QB I've seen in my time watching the NFL. The numbers and wins this guy puts up are even more mind blowing when you consider how many sacks he takes playing behind that line and we all know what he does come playoff time. I hope he can get a few more healthy years in before he retires or becomes ineffective because if he does he has a legit shot at being the GOAT.

LaVonte David- LB was one of the positions I played so naturally I have a soft spot for great LBer play and I've loved his game since before he even stepped on an NFL field. He's not the biggest guy out there but his instincts are so great that he's still always playing down hill. Oh and he's a play maker too. What's not to love?

Antonio Brown- Even when he was stuck behind Mike Wallace and company to start out his career he stood out. You look at the guy and he's not a monster size wise like a lot of these WR's who have come into the league lately, he doesn't have the speed of the guy he replaced in Mike Wallace, but the guy is impossible to keep off the board. He consistently finds ways to get open against every team and he's absolutely deadly after the catch. If the Steelers had any offensive line to speak of who know's what kind of numbers him and Roethlisberger would be putting up.

Calvin Johnson- First of all I still think Jerry Rice is the best WR of all time and I never thought I'd see anyone have chance to unseat him as the best, but Calvin Johnson has a real shot. What this guy can do on the football field is phenomenal the size and athleticism of this guy is unprecedented, but he has the skill set and work ethic to go along with it and how refreshing is it to see a guy with this level of talent at the position he plays be a quiet and generally respectable human being? lol For that reason I bet he appears on a lot of lists. Calvin Johnson is just so easy to root for. Like another Lions great Barry Sanders before him in that respect.

Marshawn Lynch, RB, :Seahawks:

Lynch is one of a very small handful of backs in this league that I would say are truly special players (w/ Peterson, Charles, and McCoy). The way he runs is some of the most beautiful violence this league has to offer. His tenacity, power, purposeful hesitation, and determination are qualities that really set him apart from the rest of his position. The run blocking has improved this season for Seattle, but last year (and seasons prior) Lynch made a habit of gaining unblocked yards. He isn't the receiver that some other runners are, but he's a lot better in that regard than he gets credit for. And I personally find him to be hilarious off the field. Marshawn Lynch quotes are the best kind of quotes.

Kyle Williams, DT, :Bills:

Buffalo is a market that lends itself to underrated players, so the fact that Williams is kind of a household name among real fans is a testament to just how good he really is. In a league filled with tough, strong dudes Williams stands out as being stronger and tougher. Regardless of where he's lined up over his time with the Bills (5, 3, 1, shade, or 0), he has consistently dominated his competition. What adds to the whole thing is that he wasn't a highly regarded prospect coming out of LSU. He has gotten where he is on merely adequate talent, and elite effort/toughness.

Brent Grimes, CB, :dolphins:

I think Grimes' career is starting to wind down, but for the better part of the past 4-5 seasons, I'd argue he's been a top 5 cornerback. The achilles injury that wiped out almost all of 2012 may have shortened his window of effectiveness, but while he's been right he's been elite. Grimes is small, and slow for a corner. And yet he's so good at the LOS and in short areas that he's been able to stick larger, faster receivers and often shut them down. No one thought it likely that a short, 4.57 guy from Shippensburg college was likely to be a star in the NFL but that's exactly what's happened.

Marshal Yanda, G, :Ravens:

Yanda was not his usual self in 2013, but he looks like he's back with a vengeance this year. When he's right, he's in the conversation for the best guard in this league. He possesses plus agility for an interior linemen, giving him the ability to pass protect with the best of them as well as pull around and lead block. And if you want him to straight up drive guys off the ball he can do that too. I really love line play, so a guy who can do everything you want at an elite level is a joy for me to watch. Plus he kind of looks Amish and I halfway expect him to show up to practice on a horse and buggy.

Andre Johnson, WR, :Texans:

I'm in a minority that would consider Andre, not Calvin, to be the best wide receiver in the NFL over the last decade. He isn't quite the athlete, but he's the better wide receiver because of how incredible he's been in the other facets of the game. And this last offseason notwithstanding, he's been one of the most unselfish, non-diva wide receivers in the league on the balance of his career. Had he ever played with a good quarterback, I think he would have broken some league records, but as it is he's had a HOF caliber career with a bunch of stiffs throwing him the ball, headlined by Matt Schaub. Also, and most importantly, he threw Cortland Finnegan on the ground and punched him in the back of the head. Never forget.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to also exclude players from Maryland/LSU.

1. LeSean McCoy- :Eagles: Could make a thread-worthy highlight reel of his cuts and jukes. Absolutely unreal.

2. Darrelle Revis- :Patriots: Best corner I've seen. Definition of a shutdown corner.

3. Dez Bryant- :Cowboys: Big time receiver on the Cowboys who wears my favorite number in football? (Shout out to my man Freddie Jones). Not sure I'll forget that touchdown grab Dez snagged against us in preseason.

4. AJ Green- :Bengals: Loved watching him in college and of course he is just absolutely deadly with the ball in his hands or going deep.

5. Rashad Jennings- :Giants: Believe it or not, started to like the guy when I was watching him on the Raiders. I love the way he runs and fights for every yard. Just a beast.

• Upvote 2

Antonio Brown

Adrian Peterson

Jimmy Graham

Robert Quinn

Vontaze Burfict

• Upvote 1

Antonio Brown

Adrian Peterson

Jimmy Graham

Robert Quinn

Vontaze Burfict

It must have been challenging for you to make this list considering how much of a Seahawks homer you are. Fantasy football is probably the only reason you know any other players so I'm pretty shocked that Quinn and Burfict made your list.

Ok done lashing out. I'm really just jealous of your team, please ship us Bobby Wagner at the end of the year. :yep:

Devin Hester is still exciting to watch. I'm glad people teams still kick/punt to him, even though they shouldn't. He may be starting to figure out how to play receiver, too, which makes him that much more exciting.

LeSean McCoy. I've been watching him since high school. He was just as amazing then as he is now. He's really hurting right now, but hopefully for Philly he gets healed up soon.

Cam Newton. When healthy, Cam is a human highlight reel and easily one of the most dynamic players in the league.

Percy Harvin. How can you not enjoy watching him? He looks like he's gliding on ice when he runs.

Aaron Rodgers. His accuracy while throwing on the run is ridiculous. Even though we've seen him make every throw, it takes my breath away to watch him still.

• Upvote 2

I could make up my entire list of 49ers because they have a bunch of my favorite players outside the Giants, but here's who I'd go with for my list right now:

Geno Atkins

Antonio Brown

Frank Gore

Aaron Rodgers

Patrick Willis

Edited by Crash3021
  • Upvote 2

1. Brandon Marshall

2. LeSean McCoy

3. Antonio Brown

4. Philip Rivers

5. Aqib Talib

• Upvote 1

Steve Smith :Ravens:

Not sure this one really counts. :p

Marshawn Lynch :Seahawks:

Loved him ever since he iced the Saints.

Gerald McCoy :Bucs:

This guy may be the best DT in the league, but since he's on the Bucs he gets little real hype compared to others with more prestigious franchises.

Blake Bortles :jags:

Love watching him play, for some reason I have seen 3 Jags games this year and part of a fourth. Maybe a bit early to say he's a favorite player of mine, but whatever.

Adrian Peterson :Prison:

Was a fantastic runner to watch.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

1. Curtis Martin. :Patriots: / :Jets:

Everyone loves Curtis Martin.

2. Champ Bailey. :Ravens:

We still like you Champ. Just retire now plz.

3. Russell Wilson. :Seahawks:

Mad respect for the short guy with the skills to pay the bills. PAY THIS MAN, SEATTLE.

4. Julio Jones. :Falcons:

Despite Cholly attempting to make me hate all things Falcons, Julio is pretty fun to watch.

5. Joe Thomas :Browns:

I have it in my head that JT beats the shit out of Manziel every practice. It will be reality soon.

6. (Because Curtis Martin is only retired on the field, not in our hearts): JJ Watt. :Texans:

Because watching him dominate week in and week out is a treat.

Edited by RazorStar
  • Upvote 2

I like players who have goofy names. These are my five favorites:

1. Ndamukong Suh :Lions:

2. D'Brickashaw Ferguson :Jets:

3. Prince Amukamara :Giants:

4. King Dunlap :Chargers:

5. Captain Munnerlyn :Vikings:

• Upvote 2

J.J. Watt :Texans:

Best defensive player in the league and is dominant. Will beat any o-linemen and forces offenses to gameplan away from him. Also an ex-Badger so that helps.

Earl Thomas :Seahawks:

Easily the best safety in the league and is the key cog for that Seahaws defense. Loved his potential coming out of college and he has grown into that fully.

LeSean McCoy :Eagles:

He's had a slow start to the season but was dominant last season. His elusiveness makes him so enjoyable to watch as he can make anybody miss and turn a small gain into a huge play.

Jamaal Charles :Chiefs:

Similar to McCoy, he is so explosive which makes him so enjoyable to watch. Also him and Ridley exchanging jerseys after the game 2 weeks ago was amazing to see.

Calvin Johnson :Lions:

Plays for a division rival but is easily the best WR in the league and is the sole reason that the Lions' offense has looked competent. The only receiver that can go up in triple coverage and get the ball to bail his QB out.

Russell Wilson would be on here as he is an ex-Badger and love his personality and everyone doubted him. But the ridiculous hype he is getting nowadays and how annoying some Seahawks' fans can be, has made me start disliking him sadly.

Edit: Do the Lions not have an emoticon?

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Hey Zack, learn how to count you ignorant fuck...just kidding, you know I love you bro :tonguee:

You guys are definitely covering a lot of my honorable mentions and it makes me happy to see LeSean on so many peoples lists. He's already one of my favorite all time Eagles. Us Eagles fans have been blessed with some fun RB's to watch the last couple years. Westbrook in the Reid days and now we have both McCoy and Sproles. Sunday's have been a lot of fun so far this year.

Hey Zack, learn how to count you ignorant fuck...just kidding, you know I love you bro :tonguee:

You guys are definitely covering a lot of my honorable mentions and it makes me happy to see LeSean on so many peoples lists. He's already one of my favorite all time Eagles. Us Eagles fans have been blessed with some fun RB's to watch the last couple years. Westbrook in the Reid days and now we have both McCoy and Sproles. Sunday's have been a lot of fun so far this year.

You, sir, are uncouth.

1. Andrew Luck :Colts: Luck is an amazing talent. The kid has been carrying his team going on 3 years now and has made some of the most beautiful deep throws I've seen in a long time. He is a very gutsy and tough strong young Qb that any franchise would be fortunate to have. Luck has a lot of fight in him; a fire that keeps burning and never goes out. He may make mistakes but he always comes back swinging. He's always a threat even when down several possessions and he never gives up. He's never rattled. A very resilient QB with the mental toughness of a 10 year vet. He's on his way to being one of the leagues best QB's for years to come.

2. A.J Green :Bengals: A.J Green is probably the smoothest WR in the entire league. Smooth demeanor/attitude and he plays the game the same way. His routes and movement is very fluid and he makes the game look effortless. I love this kid's talent and he's my favorite WR in the entire league.

3. Adrian Peterson :Vikings: Ashame that his career may be derailed but Adrian Peterson had/has what it takes to become the greatest RB to ever play the game in my opinion. The combination of speed, acceleration, strength and agility is probably unmatched. Peterson is a threat anywhere on the field and he runs so hard and with authority. He was close to topping my all time favorite RB in Barry Sanders.

4. Darrelle Revis :patriots: Watching Revis has been a true privilege. He was a technician master at his craft which is something that I truly admire. He was a complete shutdown corner at arguably one of the most difficult positions in the game going against some of the most talented athletes in the world; WR's. I don't think any CB in the league can do what Revis did. He seems to have lost a step but is still a great corner and one of the best in the league.

5. Patrick Willis :49ers: There is something about having a stud linebacker in the middle of the defense. Patrick Willis is sure fire hall of famer at his point in his career in my opinion. I truly love dominant MLB and that's exactly what Patrick Willis has been from day 1. He plays the game with much tenacity and is all over the field making plays. He's an amazing tackler and was effective enough in coverage. It's great when you have a LB who has the knack of always being around the ball and involved in a play. You can tell he was determined to be great since he's entered the league and he's been nothing short of that. I would kill to have a MLB of the caliber like Patrick Willis.

• Upvote 1

J.J. Watt: Met this guy when he was at Wisconsin and he is just as humble and fired up now as he was back in college. I loved sitting down and watching his last two seasons snap by snap to see if he really was an elite defender and I've said many times since....he is the best defender I've seen in years and can be one of the best ever.

Philip Rivers: Man I miss him and Cutler going at in the AFC West back when Jay had some fire to him. Phillip has been on fire since coming into the league and loves the game so much. He won't take anything but his team's best. Back when I was young and called myself a Chargers' fan I couldn't get enough of him.

Cam Newton: Far from a top tier QB right now, but he just plays with so much swag. He is exciting to watch when he runs, manipulates the pocket, and even just seeing him throw lasers. Plus everyone does the Super Cam TD dance when he scores don't deny it!

Aaron Rodgers: When it's Packer's week in Chicago I hate everything Green Bay, but outside of that I actually really like the Packers and A-Rod is a big reason why. Maybe the memory of watching him sit in that green room is burnt into my mind, but whenever he goes out and has a great game its almost like all other 31 teams are literally being laughed at. He is athletic, great arm, one of the smartest, and just loves playing the game.

LaMarr Woodley: My favorite player in the game for years and still to this day. It would take awhile to explain it, but I just love old-school hard nosed players who are complete football players, not just battering rams.

• Upvote 1

Honorable Mention :Jets: Chris Ivory.

Liked him ever since his Saints days. Hard-nosed back who can do it all.

• Upvote 1

1. Brent Grimes :dolphins: Fuck the Falcons for letting this man go. Fucking idiots. Has always been a baller, and is a top CB in this league.

2. Michael Vick :Jets: Don't care if he sucks, he's still the best Falcons QB in the past decade.

3. Ndamakung Suh :Lions: People hate him, but I love the way he acts and plays. Donkey Kong ftw

4. Tamba Hali/Derrick Johnson :Chiefs: Two great backers that play the game with a pretty awesome intensity and relentlessness.

5. Brandon Marshall :Bears: Consistently one of the best and most freak WR's in the NFL. Have enjoyed watching him play since he was in Denver.

Honorable Mention:

Richard Sherman :Seahawks: People hate him, but the guy is talented..and he walks the talk.

• Downvote 1

Matt Ryan is unquestionably the better QB. In terms of excitement, it's hard to top Vick. But being a QB? Vick didn't get better at the position until he got after jail and joined the Eagles. Even then he wasn't even touching Matt Ryan.

• Upvote 1

And Matt Ryan isn't even that good. ATL's man crush on Vick is unparalleled.

And Matt Ryan isn't even that good. ATL's man crush on Vick is unparalleled.

I wouldn't say that. Matt Ryan is a very good QB and is always a threat. The only QB's that you can really put ahead of him right now are the ones who are Canton bound.