BLUE

Pats @ Bills

By NOEY KUPCHAN

STATS Writer
(AP) -- While many were ready to write off Tom Brady and the New England Patriots after an ugly Week 4 defeat, they clearly still have plenty left in the tank.

So does veteran Kyle Orton, who led the Buffalo Bills to a surprising victory in his first start since taking over under center.

The visiting Patriots try to continue their domination of the Bills, who will be under new ownership for Sunday's clash with the AFC East lead on the line.

New England (3-2) struggled to beat winless Oakland 16-9 in Week 3 before getting blown out 41-14 at Kansas City in front of a national audience last Monday night. Brady was pulled in the fourth quarter with the game out of reach, leading many to question if the Patriots' dynasty had come to an end.

They seemed to silence the critics last Sunday night with a convincing 43-17 win over Cincinnati, which had entered 3-0. Brady threw for a season-high 292 yards and two touchdowns after posting one in each of the first four games.

"When you had the result that we had (against the Chiefs) as a team, I think everybody rallied around each other," coach Bill Belichick said. "I mean, who else is there to rally around? That's all we have: guys that can go out there and play and make a difference.

"I think we've played hard a lot this year, but we were able to execute things a little bit better. Of course, there was more emotion and energy as we were making plays."

The Bills (3-2) came up with several big plays of their own last Sunday, scoring 17 unanswered points to win 17-14 at NFC North-leading Detroit. Dan Carpenter kicked a 58-yard field goal with four seconds left to give Buffalo its best start since opening 4-1 in 2011.

Orton completed 30 of 43 passes for 308 yards with a touchdown and an interception in his Bills debut after replacing former starter EJ Manuel. Orton, signed Aug. 30 after Dallas let him go, was making just his second start since the beginning of the 2012 season.

"He made some throws," coach Doug Marrone said. "I think it started off a little bit tough for someone just getting back in there again, but I thought he played well."

Carpenter's 13 made field goals are tied with New England's Stephen Gostkowski for the most in the NFL. Carpenter might have the lead to himself if not for missing a 50-yarder while a laser pointer was allegedly shined on holder Colton Schmidt's face. The NFL is investigating the team's complaint and attempting to identify the person responsible.

It's been an exciting week for Bills fans, as Terry Pegula and wife Kim were unanimously approved as new owners Wednesday. While there was some concern the team could be moved out of state if purchased by another party, the Pegulas - who also own the Buffalo Sabres - have no such plans. The sale is expected to be finalized by the end of the week.

The change in ownership could provide the Bills with added motivation as they go for a rare win over the Patriots. New England has won 25 of the last 27 meetings, including five straight while averaging 39.0 points.

Brady has racked up 54 touchdown passes in 24 games against the Bills, by far his most against any team. He's gone 8-1 in his last nine visits to Buffalo while throwing for 24 TDs and an average of 273.9 yards.

The Patriots pulled out a 23-21 victory at Ralph Wilson Stadium last Sept. 8 on Gostkowski's 35-yard field goal with five seconds remaining.

"It's a great environment up there, it's always a tough place to play," Brady said. "They're playing great, there will be a lot of energy. ... They'll be pretty fired up (with the new ownership)."

This marks the first meeting beyond Week 4 where both teams had winning records since 2008.

"It's a huge game for both teams and there's a lot at stake," Bills running back C.J. Spiller told the team's official website. "... We've got to be really focused in on the little things and the details to give ourselves a chance to win at home."

Spiller was held to eight yards on 10 carries last week for Buffalo, which is averaging just 77.3 rushing yards over its last three games since totaling 306 in its first two. The Patriots had a season-high 220 rushing yards in Week 5 and compiled 425 in two wins over the Bills last year.

Buffalo also needs to be wary of Rob Gronkowski, who has nine touchdowns in six contests in the series. Gronkowski has scored in four of five games this year and is coming off his first 100-yard effort.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

The Bills never compete against the Pats for some reason... but on the other hand, Kyle Orton never loses to the Pats.

Eh, Bills probably gonna find a way to blow it since they can't make Tom Terrific give the ball away.

Bills might be able to win at home, but not at New England.

:Bills: 23

:Patriots: 27

You never know.

Edited by BigBen07

huh? wasn't the game in buffalo?

I'm confused lol. Thought I kept hearing the Bruins horn.

Buffalo goes to N.E. in week 17. By then though that game will be a formality.

Edited by BigBen07

I screwed up the title, my bad. Fixed.