BLUE

Cowboys @ Seahawks

Report out this morning that the Cowboys believe Richard Sherman is overrated. Nice.

This sure lines up for a multiple INT game for Sherman, doesn't it?

Guest Phailadelphia

Dallas has thoroughly dominated Seattle's offense and defense. It's going to be real stupid if they lose due to special teams.

This sure lines up for a multiple INT game for Sherman, doesn't it?

So far it's lined him up to get picked on by Dez. Sherman looks to be struggling with Dez's physicality.

Because the Chargers arent the biggest pretender in the league atm

Still hold to saying that the Boys are the biggest pretender in the league?

I'm feeling a big Dallas win, actually. It's what the Cowboys do. They'll win a huge game, then turn around and lose to a crap team. Okay, enough of my dumb logic. Seattle hasn't seen an offense this potent since...Denver? Okay but we all know Peyton Manning sucks. And Tony Romo doesn't? I can't do this anymore.

:Cowboys: 27

:Seahawks: 24

Only one Seahawk point away, unfortunately.

Gotta give props to the Cowboys. I gave them no chance in this game, but they flat out beat up on the Seahawks. They're a very legit team, especially with that o-line manhandling everyone.

Serious question though, how is their defense so good? You look across that starting line up and it doesn't seem like there's too much talent. They were garbage last year and I know they got some new coaching, but is it really that big of a difference?

Cowboys dominated that game. The scoreboard makes the game look closer than it really was.

Serious question though, how is their defense so good? You look across that starting line up and it doesn't seem like there's too much talent. They were garbage last year and I know they got some new coaching, but is it really that big of a difference?

Their secondary blanketed the Seahawks WRs all day, and all I could think of was this:

Do the Seahawks have an elite WR? I know we think of Harvin as a gamebreaker, but he's either overrated or underutilized. In either case, where was he today? Dallas forced Seattle to abandon the run game, and without Lynch doing his thing, Wilson was terrible.

• Upvote 1

Cowboys dominated that game. The scoreboard makes the game look closer than it really was.

3 bad plays--two fumbles, one blocked punt. If that didn't happen, this game would have been 30-10. Dallas shocked the world, today. Wow.

I gave Dallas no chance in this game, like a lot of people. That was impressive. Pure dominance. 3 bad plays made the game close, which proves to me how good Seattle really is, too. Lots of teams wouldn't have capitalized so thoroughly on those plays.

Edit: you might remember him

Edited by Mathias

Guest Phailadelphia

Gotta give props to the Cowboys. I gave them no chance in this game, but they flat out beat up on the Seahawks. They're a very legit team, especially with that o-line manhandling everyone.

They found some depth, and the DLine has been consistently good despite just being a bunch of role players.

Their secondary blanketed the Seahawks WRs all day, and all I could think of was this:

Do the Seahawks have an elite WR? I know we think of Harvin as a gamebreaker, but he's either overrated or underutilized. In either case, where was he today? Dallas forced Seattle to abandon the run game, and without Lynch doing his thing, Wilson was terrible.

Marshawn had 10 carries for 61 yards and I'm no math major but that sounds like about 6 YPC. Don't think they forced us to abandon it. Arian Foster posted 160 on them last week. Most third downs were third & longs. That's why we didn't convert on third downs. We chose a one-dimensional offense when we have one of the best backs in the game. Why I'll never understand.

Edited by BC
  • Downvote 2

If he had gotten the ball twice as much he did would have broken more of them. Also, its not about taking over the game with Lynch. It's the fact that calling more runs opens things up as well as tire the D out as they have to make tough tackles rather than just knock our passes down. 3rd downs on the defense become more challenging for the other team. Not only are we farther away from the line-to-gain, but the D-line can approach the play knowing that all they have to do is play back and not give up the big passing play or leave the flats open for RW to run. Also the certain plays that we've been running with Percy Harvin are starting to look like the same plays being tried over and over. This offense is not acting as diverse as it can be.

If you don't pound the rock later on, then you can't later.

Edited by BC
  • Upvote 1

Yes, Daryl Bevel is a bad offensive coordinator. I've said it before. Don't get too over-excited by his flashy moments. He'll look like a genius one game, a moron the next. It doesn't vary so drastically by the defense--he just doesn't make adjustments. At all. Saw it in Minnesota. Have seen it in Seattle so far. When you guys have a bad offensive first half, it's like to turn into a bad offensive game.

I think they should have fed Lynch, too.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Marshawn had 10 carries for 61 yards and I'm no math major but that sounds like about 6 YPC. Don't think they forced us to abandon it. Arian Foster posted 160 on them last week. Most third downs were third & longs. That's why we didn't convert on third downs. We chose a one-dimensional offense when we have one of the best backs in the game. Why I'll never understand.

But you have an elite QB.

• Upvote 1

Was fun being a Cowboys fan for a day. Rooting hard for you guys when you play zona.

Sean you're such a pussy lol

lol I'm salty as shit after that Cowboys win.

Eagles won too though so it's all good.

Still hold to saying that the Boys are the biggest pretender in the league?

I'll be real: I'm split on it. The offense was never the issue with me. I was saying it all offseason, I knew their offense was going to be one of the better units in the league if not one of the best, but I still dont trust their defense. They're still giving up the most yards per play in the league, it just looks better than it actually is because the offense is keeping them off the field. Theyre also very talent depleted, Orlando Scandrick should not be any team's #1 cornerback

When a team is able to consistently stop Murray, or he starts to wear down and cool off from the hot start (fyi he is on pace for 425 carries, I normally ignore 'on pace for' stats within the first few weeks of the season but that doesnt mean this one should be completely ignored either), the defense is going to face a real test, and I think it's asking a lot for them to be able to consistently stop opponents. So I'm not 100% sold on this hot start yet

First thing: Cowboys are flat the team to beat. They looked like we did last year. The score was not indicative of how much they outplayed us.

Onto the armchair analysis:

Seattle is and has had an identity crisis all season offensively. I've said it before that a team has to know who they are and play to their philosophy. This game was a perfect synopsis of this. Dallas outseahawked us at home. They remained committed to running the ball, even despite being down on the road. They punched us in the face just as we did to our opponents last year.

Carroll is unabashed in his belief in allowing his coaches free reign to make their mark and to further their careers after their stint under him. Bevell was targeted for a HC job and didn't leave because teams couldn't wait till after the SB to poach our staff. Bevell clearly has produced an offense that he hopes will land him a HC position. It's hard to do that if you're grinding out yards on the ground.

Our passing attack is for lack of a better word, retarded. And it's been obvious since week two, that teams have figured out that our passes are not aimed at getting big chunks downfield, but instead are all within 5 yards of the LOS (positive or negative). We've whored our soul to be a bubble screening 3 wide team. We are rarely in 21 or 12 sets -- a staple of our 2012/2013 teams. It's wholly inconsistent with our team identity and with any kind of offense that Carroll has fielded during his run at SC, or his tenure here in Seattle.

Last year, Seattle was one of the best teams at throwing the ball downfield. So much so, that by this time last season, you'd see free/deep safeties lining up 30 yards downfield. Allowing us to play 11 on 10. This year, we are very rarely even attempting long pass plays. Instead trying to stretch teams horizontally. This has worked to some degree as we've faced more 6 and 7 man fronts. But we're not capitalizing on that very much. Instead we're consistently throwing wide and short. And our elective abandonment of the run has crippled our bread and butter play action game. We still do PA more than any other team in the NFL. But because of our lack of will to run the ball in conjunction with our lack of running personnel groupings -- that effectiveness has been largely robbed. It is one of the fundamental pillars of a Carroll offense. Every move in 2010, 11 and 12 had been toward building a physical team that gets big plays via the pass by play action.

You simply can't get that advantage running 11 personnel.

This team is built to run the ball. And our OL talent is generally pretty thin in pass protection quality as we have collected a lot of middle round talent good at run blocking in a ZBS. Not a corps talented at pass protection. It's largely an afterthought at the point where we are picking them. And honestly, that's an ok way to do it. But you can't lose sight of where your talent lies.

Seattle is not running the ball this year. Really in almost every game. We have been able to manufacture balance by running late in games we enjoy a lead. But we have very clearly abandoned our toughness and running character by choice this year. We have unmistakenly lost sight of what this team wants to be from a philosophy standpoint. It's had nothing to do with opposing teams stopping us, and everything to do with us trying to be something that we are not.

Seattle can be fixed pretty quickly. But it's going to take Carroll wresting control of the game plan from Bevell in order to do it. Because we are suffering in this change of focus mightily. Right now, the two losses Seattle has suffered is a sustainable, repeatable opportunity for every team we face going forward. Teams need only be consistent with their pass rush lane responsibility. They don't even need to actually win their 1 on 1 battles. Cover the short/intermediate zones. It's on the offense and Wilson to make the adjustment to the NFL's latest adjustment to him.

Right now, Dallas is using our blueprint to win games. It was impressive to watch, even if it was from the receiving end. I can see a pretty quick fix to our fortunes. But it's going to require we return to our roots. This loss could be the blessing that saves this season for us. Because the success this offense had against GB in week 1 very clearly has had a hangover effect through our first quarter of the season. I didn't like it in week two. Three. Or five. Even though we produced a 2-1 record over that time. I never felt like we were being the team that our talent and philosophy meant us to play. A humiliating and definitive loss -- particularly in a very familiar Seahawk manner -- may be exactly what we need to return to our roots.

• Upvote 1

But you have an elite QB.

A lot of people are under the impression that an Elite QB shouldn't need a bread and butter game plan but to me, that isn't a case. I think you can still consider a QB elite even if he can't succeed dropping back every play. It's a very easy mistake to make given that you've had one of the most efficient QBs in the game lately and assume that his workload should be increased. Bringing in an Andy Reid playbook generally doesn't help quarterbacks play better.

If others insist, we can cease to insist that Wilson is "elite," because the definition of elite is always grey, and always will be. It's more important that we realize that Wilson is best used in a more diverse playbook than the "whoring ourselves to bubble screens and 0-5 yard passes" as Attyla put it.

Marshawn Lynch is who got us to this point. I think these upcoming NFCW matchups will be good for us. We need to stay in our lane and remember who we really are.

• Upvote 1