Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Giants @ Eagles

(AP) -- The Philadelphia Eagles entered 2014 as the favorites to win the NFC East thanks to Chip Kelly's high-octane offense guided by an emerging Nick Foles.

The New York Giants' offense was considered a work in progress with Eli Manning adjusting to a new offensive coordinator.

Through five games, New York's offense is clearly on the upswing while Philadelphia's is still looking to get untracked.

The visiting Giants have totaled 105 points while winning three straight and have done a good job of slowing down opposing quarterbacks ahead of Sunday night's key divisional matchup.

The East looks very competitive this year. Philadelphia (4-1) is tied with Dallas for first place and New York (3-2) is one game back.

"This is a divisional game," New York coach Tom Coughlin said. "Obviously Philadelphia is playing very, very well. It is a game within the division for us, so we are just excited for that opportunity."

Philadelphia went 10-6 and won the East in 2013 in Kelly's first season. Foles was the catalyst with 27 touchdowns, only two interceptions and a league-best 119.2 passer rating.

Foles ranks just 23rd this year at 82.5. He has a 53.3 rating on passes of at least 21 yards in the air, getting picked off a league-high four times on 31 attempts - also tops in the NFL.

"We can't be afraid of throwing the deep ball," said Foles, who had one interception on 43 such passes in 2013. "I'm not afraid of throwing the deep ball. I've always liked throwing the deep ball."

It hasn't helped that LeSean McCoy is off to a slow start. McCoy led the league with 1,607 rushing yards in 2013 but is only 15th this year with 273.

McCoy has four career games with at least 111 yards versus the Giants, who have limited him to an average of 46.3 in the last three meetings.

"He's dynamic, he's looking for the big play every time he touches the ball, whether it is a screen or a run so he's the player I've always known him to be and he's outstanding," Coughlin said.

Darren Sproles, however, has 172 rushing yards and is averaging 6.9 per carry to help pick up the slack.

Manning was picked off a career-worst 27 times last year, resulting in Ben McAdoo replacing longtime offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride. The two-time Super Bowl MVP struggled with a passer rating of 69.2 in consecutive losses to start 2014.

He has completed 70.1 percent of his passes and posted a 115.2 rating during this win streak, throwing eight touchdown passes to one interception. Five different Giants have at least 10 receptions, with tight end Larry Donnell leading the way with 25 and four touchdowns.

"They seem like they've picked it up over the last couple of weeks but it's very different than what they've done before," Kelly said.

The offense figures to be more lethal now with dynamic rookie Odell Beckham Jr., who had four catches for 44 yards and a TD in last Sunday's 30-20 win over Atlanta in his debut after being out with a hamstring injury.

One issue from that game was a sprained MCL suffered by Rashad Jennings, fourth in the NFL with 396 rushing yards. It seems unlikely he will play.

Jennings' absence would give the starting job to rookie fourth-round pick Andre Williams, who has 131 yards and two TDs over the last two games.

"He's a big, physical runner," Kelly said. "I think it's evident, you just watch him in the preseason or watch him when he's at Boston College. He ran for over 2,000 yards last year at BC."

Kelly will try to revive his passing attack against a Giants defense that has a league-high eight interceptions. New York is also limiting opposing quarterbacks to a 76.0 rating for the NFL's third-best mark.

"It looks like (Giants defensive end Jason) Pierre-Paul is a little bit more healthy than he was last year," Kelly said. "They've added a couple guys in the secondary a little bit. But it seems like they were banged up a lot of last year, guys in and out of the lineup."

New York's defense has a familiar face in cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who will return to Philadelphia for the first time since he spent 2011-12 with the Eagles. Rodgers-Cromartie has been nursing a leg injury.

The Eagles have been winning thanks in part to an astounding seven touchdowns from their defense and special teams. No other team has more than two.

"They've won games on special teams," Coughlin said. "You look at the San Francisco game, it's amazing, punt return, blocked punt, interception return."

Philadelphia is hopeful that DeMeco Ryans will be available after he injured his right groin in last Sunday's 34-28 win over St. Louis. Fellow linebacker Mychal Kendricks is uncertain with a calf injury.

These teams have split the season series the three previous years, with the Giants winning twice on the road.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

Another juicy, epic matchup. The Giants are rising and the Eagles have to eventually drop some close games right? Andre Williams getting his first big load is going to be great for him.

:Giants: 26

:Eagles: 18

This should be a fiesty game. Hopefully we'll see a fight or two. Anyway, Odell Beckham scores 2 TDs, Nick Foles throws 3 INTs, and the Giants pull away in the 4th quarter to get a huge division win.

:Giants: 31

:Eagles: 16

Edit: Also, the Eagles are apparently donning black jerseys and black pants for this game. I'm not sure they've ever worn both. Actually, I can't think of the last time they ever wore black pants.

Edited by SteVo

It was 2008 and the Eagles were playing the Giants on Sunday Night Football at home. They lost a heartbreaker that nigh with Brandon Jacobs scoring the last TD. Being that it was a Sunday Night game I was there tailgating at like 12:00 and was hammered before I even got into the game, by the time it was over I'd been drinking for like 12 hours and anyone who knows the Eagles/Giants rivalry knows that both teams travel well to the other's stadium, so there was a lot of Giants fans there and anyone who knows anything about Eagles and Giants fans knows that they're not afraid to talk shit or to fight. Well, long story short as we were headed out of the stadium there was some shit talking going on and I was ready to fight, as were more than a few Giants fans. Luckily for me I was arrested before the fight started because I was way too drunk to fight and would have likely gotten my ass handed to me. I got thrown in the paddy wagon and spent the night in the drunk tank and I don't remember shit from basically that point on. This is a great rivalry and it's just as heated between the players as it is the fans. Should be a good one. Expect numerous scuffles and personal foul penalties. lol

Can the Eagles overcome a serious threat?

Yeah, this season has been weird for this team, so I think they pull out a BS win somehow.

:Eagles: 34

:Giants: 29

Chris Polk (hamstring) is inactive for Sunday night's Week 6 game against the Giants.

Polk was ruled out on Friday and is likely dealing with a multi-week injury. Fourth-string TE Trey Burton will be the No. 3 back.
The rest of the Eagles inactives are QB Matt Barkley, LB Mychal Kendricks, WR Brad Smith, C Jason Kelce, OL Dennis Kelly, and DE Taylor Hart.

Giants MLB Jon Beason (toe) is active for Sunday night's Week 6 game against the Eagles.

Beason returns after missing the last three games. DE Robert Ayers (neck) is also active.
Inactive for the Giants are RB Rashad Jennings, OG Brandon Mosely, LB Spencer Paysinger, OL Adam Snyder, DE Kerry Wynn, OT James Brewer, and DT Jay Bromley.

Seeing Victor Cruz suffer a season-ender and his emotional reaction when he pretty much knew his season was over while being carted off the field was the worst part of this. Fuck the game, I knew we were done before halftime.

And a special fuck you to any of you idiots here and on other sites (some of who are Giants fans elsewhere on the internets, FTR) that actually thought Cruz was faking that injury because he dropped the pass. His knee gave out before he was even able to make that attempt to catch the ball.

Good game, Philly. We got dominated.

Edited by BLUE
  • Upvote 1

I'm still perplexed as to how Cruz got hurt so badly on that play--didn't look bad at all on the replay.

Anyway, we shall meet again, Giants fans. :yep:

I'm still perplexed as to how Cruz got hurt so badly on that play--didn't look bad at all on the replay.

My only guess is the playing surface had something to do with it. There's some fucked up spots all over most of them.

The Giants played like shit no doubt and the Eagles came out firing on all cylinder's. One team was ready and the other wasn't. I expect a different game next time we meet. Hopefully Nick Foles doesn't shit himself again because if he does we might not come away with the win.

I saw his knee buckle a bit as he was pushing off his right foot going up for the catch. Seeing a hometown (basically since Paterson is very close to me) guy go down especially a guy like Cruz at that with the emotion evident on his face told me all I needed to know that he won't be coming back this season which is a huge blow to the team to say the least.

Too predictable with running on basically every first down, I wonder on how many of those 1st downs in the first half was actually a pass, probably not many if at all. And for whatever reason that didn't change until the game was well out of reach late in the 2nd half and I don't understand why. The absence of Rashad was pretty evident in our lackluster run game, Williams wasn't able to get going much throughout the game being taken care of rather effectively.

Such garbage play-calling the whole game generally resulted in very long 3rd downs, which you won't convert many if at all especially with all the holding penalties that were called. You're not going to win with a converting only 2/14 third downs. The pass protection was awful all game letting up 8 sacks and numerous additional pressure, Should've put in another TE or have the RB stay in to protect Eli a bit more instead of continuing to let their pass rush annihilate the OL all game.

We clearly weren't ready to play, I knew the game was pretty much decided at half even though I did watch pretty much the entirety of the 2nd. Gotta make Foles pay for the 2 picks he threw, but of course we couldn't capitalize on those mistakes and get points out of them which proved costly. They pretty much dominated every facet of the game, it wasn't even close pretty much the entirety of the game.

Good game Eagles fans. Cannot wait for the regular season finale at MetLife which will hopefully have a better result for us next time around.

• Upvote 1