әightninә.

Andrew Luck vs. Russell Wilson

After yesterday, a lot of people who were generally pro-Wilson seemed to be relatively quiet, especially in their critical analysis of Luck. So, I want to know this forum's opinion on the two stars of tomorrow. All stats are from NFL.com.

Over their respective careers:

Andrew Luck:

854 completions on 1,457 attempts (58.6%), 10,183 yards (third fastest to 10k; 7 yards average/attempt), 63 TDs, 34 INTs, 84.7 QBR. 151 rushing attempts for 725 yards (4.8 yard average), 11 TDs, 18 fumbles (8 lost).

Russell Wilson:

601 completions on 939 attempts (64%), 7,453 yards (7.9 yards average/attempt), 60 TDS, 21 INTs, 100.5 QBR. 221 rushing attempts for 1,249 yards (5.7 average), 7 TDs, 21 fumbles (8 lost).

This season (keeping in mind Luck has played one more game than Wilson):

Andrew Luck:

172 completions on 260 attempts (66.2%), 1987 yards, 17 TDs, 7 INTs. 26 rushing attempts for 93 yards (3.6 yard average), 2 rushing TDs, 2 fumbles (1 lost).

Russell Wilson:

92 completions on 139 attempts (66.2%), 978 yards (7 yards average/attempt), 8 TDs, 2 INTs. 31 rushing attempts for 221 yards (7.1 average), 2 TDs, 5 fumbles (0 lost).

So, ultimately, who would you rather have?

If there is a topic already designated for this topic, please feel free to ignore/merge this one, however I did not find one when I searched.

Luck. Wilson is one of my favorite non-Chargers, but I'd rather have Luck.

I take Luck but that's nothing against Wilson at all.

Luck even if I was a Texans fan.

Again? We have so many of these from over the last 3 years we should just merge. Apples and oranges, but again, playing efficient mistake free football is where it's at. Both of Wilson's INTs this year have been last gasp drives with just seconds left on the clock being down by a score and not having timeouts. If we are balanced enough, he is just outstanding at decision-making. If there's anything he can possibly do to extend drives and put us in better position to win the game, he does it.

I still take Russell Wilson. One bad game isn't gonna sink Wilson. A bad season might, but all Luck is doing right now is closing the gap between them.

• Upvote 1

Cam > both.

In the long-term I probably gamble on Luck being better.

In the short-term, Wilson is the better QB. Or at least he was.

Luck is playing lights out this season.

Still Wilson for now.

I think both are overrated right now, but I'd still take Luck. I don't think this will be much of a debate in a few years either.

Luck even if I was a Texans fan.

I am a Texans fan and I would take Luck. But Wilson would be nice too. :)

Edited by Wattafan

Luck's been great this year few games aside. If the question is who has been the better QB to this point all things considered, it'd be Wilson.

If it's a question as to who'll be better right now and towards the future it's probably Luck. We've all known he's had the potential to be great... He's starting to show it.

But yea, irrelevant, but gimme Newton over both. :D

I completely disagree about who the better QB has been so far, DMac. I don't understand how that hasn't been Luck.

I'm all for giving praise to guys who don't post prolific stats but Luck is absolutely phenomenal. Wilson is, and through three years has been, capable of games like yesterday. I've never seen a performance that bad from Andrew Luck.

This season Andrew Luck has been better. But even if people want to throw the "game manager" label, or something close to it to describe Wilson, there's really no arguing that before this season Luck looked better... He most definitely did not.

• Upvote 1

This season Andrew Luck has been better. But even if people want to throw the "game manager" label, or something close to it to describe Wilson, there's really no arguing that before this season Luck looked better... He most definitely did not.

You were awake during the second half of last season, right? :p

I don't know why people balk when Wilson and Luck's respective roles and circumstances are considered. You don't have to agree, but it's not manipulative to point out that one guy does more for his offense than the other.

• Upvote 1

All I know is both have become extremely overrated.

Luck is too awful under pressure(as in defensive linemen pressure, not "we're down and we need a score" pressure) and Wilson is too awful in the pocket yet for them to be anywhere near elite discussion. To add on to those things. Luck is getting lucky with defenders dropping picks again this year which makes his stats look better than they actually are and Wilson has started running from phantom pressure this year.

They're not anywhere near even the same universe as what Manning and Brady were in their primes, which is what truly elite QB play is, and anyone who puts Luck or Wilson or both of them in that discussion needs to be slapped.

As of right now, Wilson. But going forward, it's unquestionably Luck

As of right now, Wilson. But going forward, it's unquestionably Luck

If it isn't Luck now, how can it unquestionably be him going forward?

Russell Wilson's career reminds me an awful lot of the early years of Ben Roethlisberger's career. The success came pretty much instantly; and while they both had stacked teams, there was no doubt that both QBs were key contributors to their teams' success. Both were very efficient throwing the ball, and also had an uncanny ability to improvise. Their non-conventional styles made QB snobs look down on them, judging them as inferior to their peers despite their results. Both QBs seem doomed to be underrated when it's all said and done, but both will be heroes to each of their fan bases.

• Upvote 1

I would have to take Andrew Luck.

Wilson has a higher floor than most QBs you've seen come into the league. Because of his size he had to add a very impressive mental game to his list of abilities. Wilson is known for being a film junkie and a student of the game. I never thought of him as a game manager, more of a ball protector. Wilson in almost every situation knows exactly where to get to for a first down....when to slide and get as many yards as he can before....when to send it out of bounds.....when to take the sacks....heck even when its a dead play he knows to drop the ball instead of showing the team what the play was gonna be.

Wilson's mental make-up has put him in a position to win a lot of games and get a lot of praise.

However, Luck is built as the model of an NFL QB. The size, the arm, the mind, and the presence. Luck led the league in interceptions his rookie year....so did Peyton Manning....Aikman threw 18 INT his first year.....Favre has 24 INT in his first full season. Point is that Luck is having the traditional track...he is given the time to mess up and make mistakes while taking shots and guess what as the years go on his mistakes will begin to shrink because he had the chance to learn from them.

I pick Luck maybe because of long-term effectiveness like it has been pointed out before. But all in all I think Luck is a QB that has a franchise built around them from the coaches....type of players....the offense....and even the defense will be built to compliment Luck. As great of a steal as Wilson has been the Seahawks are not building around him because he is not what teams want in a franchise QB