BLUE

Panthers @ Packers

By NOEY KUPCHAN

STATS Writer

(AP) -- It's hard to imagine where the Green Bay Packers would be without Aaron Rodgers, who added to his already impressive resume with a sensational game-winning drive last weekend.

While Cam Newton couldn't lead the Carolina Panthers to victory, he helped them avoid a loss.

The surging Packers try to continue their recent dominance in October when they host Newton and the Panthers on Sunday.

Rodgers threw for 264 yards and three more touchdowns as Green Bay (4-2) stormed back to win 27-24 at Miami last Sunday, its third consecutive victory. The former Super Bowl MVP capped an 11-play, 60-yard drive with a four-yard strike to Andrew Quarless with 3 seconds to go.

Rodgers hooked up with rookie Davante Adams for 12 yards on the previous play after pretending to spike the ball.

"Any time you overcome adversity, you have this experience to build off. That's why you play. This is an excellent character win," coach Mike McCarthy told the Packers' official website.

"We knew this would be a tough game coming down in the heat. We said we weren't worried about it and we weren't worried about it, but the fact is we're from Wisconsin."

Rodgers became the first player to throw 15 TDs with one or fewer interceptions in the first six games of a season. He's gone 170 pass attempts without a pick, putting him 11 shy of his career-best mark set in 2010.

Rodgers is averaging just 236.5 yards but his 111.4 passer rating ranks second in the NFL.

"I need to work on my vocabulary. The guy is a remarkable player," McCarthy said. "Aaron sees the game so well, like none other. ... Things come to him differently than other guys."

The Packers now return home, where they've won 30 of 33 regular-season games with Rodgers under center. Green Bay has also won 15 of its last 16 October games, including nine straight while averaging 31.2 points.

The Panthers (3-2-1) shouldn't have much trouble keeping up offensively if their recent efforts are any indication. They beat the Bears 31-24 in Week 5 before playing to a 37-all tie at Cincinnati last Sunday. Newton threw for 284 yards and two touchdowns, adding a season-high 107 yards and another score on the ground.

"The first time in my life," Newton said of the tie. "It's kind of weird where you play good enough to win. It's kind of a 50-50 feeling. I don't know how to react."

Newton's efforts on the ground were especially noteworthy after running for a combined 42 yards in his first four games. The two-time Pro Bowler, whose 17 rushing attempts were a career high, is clearly getting closer to full strength after dealing with ankle and rib injuries earlier in the year.

"When you keep getting numerous yards, you have to keep calling it," he said. "That's just the simplicity of football. Coming into this game, I didn't think I was going to run the ball as much. But like I said, that's my attitude - anything it takes to win, I'm willing to do."

Newton has rushed for an NFL-high 2,181 yards among quarterbacks since joining the league in 2011 to go with 29 TDs, 18 more than the next-closest QB. He could get some help Sunday with Jonathan Stewart (knee) likely to return following a three-week absence. However, fellow back DeAngelo Williams remains out with an ankle issue.

Newton has only faced the Packers once, a 30-23 home loss in Week 2 of his rookie season. He threw for a career-high 432 yards with a touchdown and three interceptions opposite Rodgers, who finished with 308 yards and two scores.

While Rodgers has been terrific thus far, Green Bay's ground game has yet to take off. The Packers are averaging 94.8 rushing yards to rank 24th in the NFL, significantly lower than last year's mark of 133.5.

Aside from running for 105 yards on 13 carries in a 42-10 victory over Minnesota in Week 5, Eddie Lacy is averaging 3.0 yards per carry in the other five games. However, he could be in for a big game against a Panthers defense allowing a league-worst 5.5 yards per attempt.

The Panthers also need to be wary of Jordy Nelson, who's racked up an NFL-best 632 receiving yards and five scores. Carolina has already surrendered 12 touchdowns through the air after giving up 17 all of last season.

Panthers rookie Kelvin Benjamin leads the team and all first-year players with 416 receiving yards, but his status is uncertain due to a concussion suffered against the Bengals.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

This has shootout written all over it. Cam is going to tear apart the defense on the ground and through the air with Shields being out and Williams being questionable. The Panthers' defense has had problems and are going to struggle against Rodgers and his receivers. Being at Lambeau is the difference here.

:Packers: 37

:panthers: 31

Panthers are collapsing while Green Bay continues to return to it's offensive powerhouse identity, especially with 2nd rounder Davante Adams starting to get more and more involved as Rodgers' third WR option.

Aaron Rodgers says he's noticed rookie Davante Adams creating separation when reviewing the Packers' games on tape.

Advice: Adams hasn't quite had a breakthrough game yet, but it's coming. "Davante, he's open on film a lot," Rodgers said. "He's run a lot of good routes. He only had one catch last week, but if he stays confident and keeps making plays like he's doing in practice, the ball is going to keep coming his way."

:Packers: 40

:panthers: 20

Panthers are collapsing? Have you watched the last two weeks, bro?

Green Bay is a tough test and ultimately a game I think we lose, but Carolina is by no means "collapsing."

A-Rod is, for the moment, still the best QB in the league. And while both GB and Carolina's defenses are playing like shit, (I know Carolina's is, I assume from Packer fans on here that GB's is), I think the fact that one team is led by A-Rod will make the difference.

Cam is a great QB. At the moment, he may even have cracked the top-5. But Aaron Rodgers is still Aaron Rodgers, and the limited pass rush the Panthers have combined with his mobility- nightmares. I don't know if GB is going to be forced to punt once in this game.

:panthers: 31

:Packers: 41

Now that I actually know what the Packers are and what they are capable (and incapable of), this may be the first game I actually predict a loss. I expect to win, and feel like we should... But Cam Newton could easily rip us apart just like Colin Kaepernick or Russ. Watching him run last week may have been the deciding factor. Is the Packers defense going to come out and be able to stop him? Will the uninspiring offense be able to string together a complete performance?

Being at Lambeau I would probably lean towards the Packers, but.. Would not be surprised at all if they dropped this one.

If Stewart is back and is actually able to run well, that is, IMO, our only real chance.

Benjamin is coming off a concussion and may not even play- and he has to play as well.

I just don't see our defense stopping you guys, pretty much at all.

If Stewart is back and is actually able to run well, that is, IMO, our only real chance.

Benjamin is coming off a concussion and may not even play- and he has to play as well.

I just don't see our defense stopping you guys, pretty much at all.

The offense has put up one dominant performance so far this season. We're good, but sporadic. Obviously there is not way to tell how each team will game plan for each other, etc... And that makes a difference. But if this offense is at all anything like it has been so far, we will give you guys windows of opportunity to take the game. I almost trust the defense more than the offense at this point, to be honest. The offense is fully capable, just very up & down right now.

Packers LCB Tramon Williams is active for Week 7 against the Panthers.

RCB Sam Shields is active, but the Pack will have at least one of their starting corners vs. a heating up Cam Newton. Davon House will play in place of Williams.
Also inactive for the Packers are QB Scott Tolzien, CB Demetri Goodson, LB Carl Bradford, C Garth Gerhart, WR Jeff Janis and DE Datone Jones.

Kelvin Benjamin (concussion) is active for Week 7 against the Packers.

Benjamin is good to go as a top-15 option against a Packers defense missing RCB Sam Shields. LCB Tramon Williams (ankle) is active, but operating at less than 100 percent
. Inactive for the Panthers are QB Joe Webb, CB Josh Norman, CB Bene Benwikere, RB DeAngelo Williams, RB Fozzy Whittaker, OG Amini Silatolu and LB Chase Blackburn.

Best all-around game the Packers have played all year. Only real complaint would be lining a much smaller and overmatched Tramon Williams on a massive Kelvin Benjamin. That's... About all I have. Other than I hate seeing Matt Flynn enter a game for any reason.

I wouldn't say Cam is quite top 5 yet but Aaron Rodgers is playing out of his mind as usual. The Panthers defense has been horrid this year. The defense collapses with one missing piece in Greg Hardy? :think:

Cam isn't even top 10 for me.

Based on how he's playing this year there really is no question he is Top 10 at the very least. A-rod is the best in the game though.

Need to do a list but I hardly ever argue on this site, if at all.

Never a need to argue. You can... profusely and persuasively present your opinion on the matter as if it's fact.

PFF had Cam at #1 prior to this week. I think it was in DVOA. There are very few QBs playing better than him. Peyton, Rodgers, Rivers and Luck are the 4 I'd have no issue being ranked ahead of Cam- again based solely on this year's play. No one else carries his team like Cam is required to do- and has, several times.