Cherry

Draft Breakdown 2015 draft

So just to throw this out there for discussion. Not my opinion or anything one way or the other.

Since everyone is so hot on Mariota being a top 10 pick. Apparently Brett Hundley from UCLA has declared for the draft. Why isn't he being talked about as a first round guy or at least a nice alternative to Mariota?

Apparently Brett Hundley from UCLA has declared for the draft. Why isn't he being talked about as a first round guy or at least a nice alternative to Mariota?

Great athleticism, but extremely inconsistent. Bad mechanics, no pocket awareness, "sees ghosts," very questionable decision-making, doesn't really go through his progressions well either.

If he lands on a team with a good quarterback coach, there's certainly a lot of potential that could be reached. The problem is, you don't draft a project QB in the first round. I see Hundley as a late 2nd, early 3rd rounder at best. With that said, all it takes is one team to fall in love with him...

• Upvote 1

Great athleticism, but extremely inconsistent. Bad mechanics, no pocket awareness, "sees ghosts," very questionable decision-making, doesn't really go through his progressions well either.

If he lands on a team with a good quarterback coach, there's certainly a lot of potential that could be reached. The problem is, you don't draft a project QB in the first round. I see Hundley as a late 2nd, early 3rd rounder at best. With that said, all it takes is one team to fall in love with him...

What you describe is everything Mariota probably will be in a pro-system.

I don't watch tape yet... Is there an ILB that may be there at 32 the packers should be targetting? I hope so. Or even any potential trade up targets?

I don't watch tape yet... Is there an ILB that may be there at 32 the packers should be targetting? I hope so. Or even any potential trade up targets?

Benardrick McKinney, Mississippi State

What you describe is everything Mariota probably will be in a pro-system.

Mariota has WAY better accuracy, pocket presense, and decision-making. It's not even close. Mariota is worth a Top 5 pick in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Kurtis Drummond

Safety

w7n08iftauae3h6rhueh.gif

- Sure tackler

- Wraps up, not slings body around defender

- Has trouble attacking ball, more or less waits for it to come to him

- Juked out frequently in OSU game. Odd.

- Pivots hips when called to do so without effort; very fluid

- Good skills 1v1 with receivers on deep balls. Locates and knocks down.

- Not a RPRT playmaker. Good coordination and reading the ball/ballcarrier.

- Speed to play special teams.

Grade: Late 1st. Drummond is not supremely talented, but he is the most well all-around built safety in this draft.

• Upvote 2

Mariota has WAY better accuracy, pocket presense, and decision-making. It's not even close. Mariota is worth a Top 5 pick in my opinion.

That may very well be true, but all three are affected by the offense he is running. He has one-read passing options and half-field reads so his decision-making is alot easier. His choices in the option game have been the most impressive to me. I haven't sat down and watched either QB so Hundley could be horrible. I'm not trying to down Mariota, just making sure all factors are taken into consideration.

Looks like Duke's Jeremy Cash is returning. Had him as an early day 3 pick; but he has the talent to be a 2nd rounder. Hope to see him & Karl Joseph go early next year.

Ronald Darby of FSU has declared.

Cody Prewitt

Safety

75419761996.gif

- Incredible tackler; rarely misses.

- Poor ball skills mid-flight. Has trouble locating and eliminating the ball from a receiver.

- Very strong in the run game. Can come down out of his spot deep to make a when the ballcarrier breaks free.

- Lacks the ability to play deep vs Speedy guys.

- Plays assignments pretty well, rarely messes up where he is supposed to be in the name of making a play.

- Incredible strength. Looks the part of an NFL player.

- By the book defender; nothing extreme on many ends, just a solid player with a good understanding of where to be at what time.

- Could see a conversion to LB at the pro level. Teams will question his ability to run with professional players and keep from giving up big plays.

Grade: I've only seen one game so far but I like what I've seen. As of now I have graded as a late 2nd round guy, solely because he hasn't shown himself to have true major flaws in his game. I've heard a lot of scouts dislike what they've seen in terms of getting burnt in coverage, which is why I believe a move to LB may suit him. Maybe it's just a feeling after one game, but Prewitt has the look and feel of an NFL starter.

• Upvote 1

Honestly? If we are talking about QBs that will need development, I'd rather go with Hundley over MM. Especially for a team like the Eagles. A more talented thrower, more talented athlete.

Just needs to learn how to be... A quarterback...

Honestly? If we are talking about QBs that will need development, I'd rather go with Hundley over MM. Especially for a team like the Eagles. A more talented thrower, more talented athlete.

Just needs to learn how to be... A quarterback...

A quarterback who needs to learn how to be a quarterback? Do not want. Hundley is so wildly inconsistent, I don't think good coaching will turn him into a good NFL QB.

I see some great potential in Hundley. He needs a team that can and will give him that time to really 'click' though. Let's do it!

Saw no fire from Mariota last night at all when Oregon had its backs against the wall.

Is Cardale Jones going to cash in (relative to where he may or may not have been before)

Cardale has the traits worth developing. He should the starter next season. I wouldn't blame him for leaving though. He just became a father and he still may go rounds 3-4 because of his potential.

Very good work, Butta. Mind giving me some insight into why you use the grading scale you use? Any particular things that are head-and-shoulders above the rest when you grade? Traits? Functions of the game?

Very good work, Butta. Mind giving me some insight into why you use the grading scale you use? Any particular things that are head-and-shoulders above the rest when you grade? Traits? Functions of the game?

I'm not sure what you're asking with the second part of your question...

But the overall grade is a function of a prospect's current level of techinque & skills (Floor) and their potential to grow (Ceiling). Both are graded on a 5pt scale and then I take the average. The labels (Gem, Boom or Bust, High Floor, High Ceiling, etc) are just based of the disparity between their floor and ceiling grades.

Edited by butta55

By functions of the game I mean specific things like tackling, coverage, route running.etc. For instance, when I look at a running back I focus on the ability to find the hole and use vision as my key trait and value it over things such as speed.

By functions of the game I mean specific things like tackling, coverage, route running.etc. For instance, when I look at a running back I focus on the ability to find the hole and use vision as my key trait and value it over things such as speed.

Oh ok.

No I don't value certain traits over the other, at least not in my grading. That would only be taken into account if I'm ranking players with similar grades. But again that is up to a person's preference.

Denzel Perryman

Inside Linebacker

2848.gif

- Incredible power whenever he contacts the ballcarrier. Hits like a fucking freight train. Never seen a hitter this big.

- Knows when to rip the ball away and when to go for the tackle.

- Aware enough to play coverage on third down.

- Athletic and fluid but incredibly strong whenever he has to go one-on-one with a ballcarrier.

- Surefire tackler. I've watched six or seven games on Perryman. I've seen one missed tackle.

- Always around the ball. Wherever the play begins to go, Perryman is coming in with the second wave of defenders.

- Sometimes gets blown off on blocks. Questionable if he has the ability to get untangled and follow the play, but if the runner tries to get past him he'll come off to make the play.

- Undeniable work ethic. I witnessed an odd event on one of the videos of Perryman. He dropped an interception and immediately got to the ground and began doing push-ups. He was called for unsportsmanlike conduct or some shit, and every teammate came to his defense. Perryman used to have pretty frequent issues with dropping interceptions in practice, apparently. Every time he'd drop one he'd go down and start doing push-ups for the coach. After the unsportsmanlike conduct shit got sorted out, the game continued. The next play Perryman intercepted the pass. I usually don't grade players based on things such as this, but Perryman has displayed a drive that I rarely see from others not just in this event, but on a down to down basis.

- Plugs the hole without any problem. If a runner is coming through a gap and Perryman attempts to seal it, he wins every time.

Essentially this; Perryman is a rock-solid linebacker in all aspects of his game. There is no linebacker I've scouted this year or the year before that has displayed his aggression, power, and athleticism all in one. If it were up to me he'd be a top 5 pick. Put him in and he will shine.

Grade: Early 1st. Deep down opinion? Top 5.

Todd Gurley

Running Back

hr85j3g1duiqf59eiep9bvnsd.gif

- Awareness of a great running back. Can accurately judge where to go with the ball, and when to take off.

- Patient. He can turn on the jet boosters whenever he likes, he just waits until he finds the proper hole to do so.

- Powerful. An arm tackle does not bring Todd Gurley down. It will take multiple tacklers to contain him, and if he slips a couple of guys he is off to the races.

- Incredible balance. Last year I was gushing over Ka'Deem Carey for his balance. Granted, Carey did not pan out so well, but he lacked the other traits Gurley has. The ability to recover from a stumble is insane.

- Sprinter speed. Long distance too. Took kickoff return to house vs Clemson.

- Produces no matter which way he is going. Has the ability to take tosses and turn the corner. Can smash through the middle of a defense. Burns you any way he likes.

- Questionable health, due to his ACL being torn this past year. Will he return to form?

- Cuts with the best of them. Breaks ankles easily.

- North to South. Doesn't bullshit and dance around in the backfield. If he sees a hole he takes off. He always sees a hole.

- Sometimes gets eaten up in the screen game. If he gets a 1-on-1 with a big guy he may be simply fallen on.

Grade: Early 1st. Despite the devaluing of the position, Gurley will be the exception to the rule. Expect one of the best and most balanced backs we've seen in quite a while.