butta54

Playoff Selection Committee

As most fans know this is the first year of the 4-team playoffs in NCAA football instead of the BCS system. A selection committee was created to select those four teams at the conclusion of the season. The committee will be selecting teams based on:

• Strength of schedule
  • Team Record
  • Conference Championships
  • Head-to-Head results
  • Injuries
  • Weather

This committee was put together in order to take into account real life situations such as injuries to major players or suspensions. Also the fashion in which a team beat an opponent in order to take into account HOW teams won.

More Info: (http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/selection-committee-faqs)

Seven games into the NCAA season what are your thoughts about the upcoming selection for the playoffs? Do you forsee any real issues trying to pick four teams and how much do you expect the committee to look at the team as a whole opposed to their record?

My Opinion: Same thing I thought back when they first announced the committee....this is gonna be a absolute media whirlwind trying to pick these teams. These aren't the days of the past when there are six teams going undefeated. I believe there will be plenty of one loss teams at the end and numbers will be similar so the picks will be pretty much subjective. I agree it should be chosen this way, but social media is going to explode with claims of bribes and personal ties for selections.

It's gonna be a clusterfuck depending on how the SEC shakes out. What if Mississippi and Mississippi State enter the Egg Bowl undefeated, and the loser ends up with one loss? Can you justify leaving them out of the top four? What if the Egg Bowl winner goes on to lose to Georgia in the SECCG, and Georgia finishes with one loss?

Chaos. :devious:

^That's exactly why I don't like the set up. I think the playoff itself should be larger... especially since the set up now means that an elite team might miss out on elite bowls (i.e., Pac-12/Big-12/Big 10 (no matter your opinion on them) might miss out on top bowl games because of the set up).

It really seems like the BCS just this allows for two more teams to contend for the title. Who knows, maybe multiple teams that are left out of the playoff could contend with or even beat the teams that make it?

If I was a part of this committee, I'd fight very very openly against allowing Florida State into the final four. They're not a top 4 team. Mississippi State, Mississippi, Oregon, Alabama, Arizona, and TCU are all teams I would absolutely bet on beating the Seminoles.

• Downvote 1

Undefeated is undefeated. I do agree though that they'll have a tough time getting in if they lose a game.

Lol wtf how does a game's weather affect how good a team is?

Hopefully this is just a stepping stone to an 8-team playoff, but in fairness to college football (and to the committee), this is an atypical season. How often is 80% of the top 5 from the same conference division?

I initially thought the playoffs should be 8 team and was really confused why it was only four, but like it has been said this is just a feeling out period to get teams and fans used to it and will eventually expand.

What I'm wondering (would be interested on everyone's thoughts) if we get to the end and have a large cluster of one loss teams...how do you think the committee will look at the teams to determine who is better? You believe there will be legit debates about the strength of the roster and etc or you feel like they will just point to who they beat?

I initially thought the playoffs should be 8 team and was really confused why it was only four, but like it has been said this is just a feeling out period to get teams and fans used to it and will eventually expand.

What I'm wondering (would be interested on everyone's thoughts) if we get to the end and have a large cluster of one loss teams...how do you think the committee will look at the teams to determine who is better? You believe there will be legit debates about the strength of the roster and etc or you feel like they will just point to who they beat?

It would only be fair to take two one loss SEC teams and one loss teams from two other conferences, imo.

If I was a part of this committee, I'd fight very very openly against allowing Florida State into the final four. They're not a top 4 team. Mississippi State, Mississippi, Oregon, Alabama, Arizona, and TCU are all teams I would absolutely bet on beating the Seminoles.

Not even being biased here when I say you're way off base here :lol: FSU is right there with Miss St, Ole Miss, Oregon, Bama, and TCU. None of those teams are that much better than the other. All have holes, and all can be beaten by each other and worse teams any week. What makes any of these teams better than FSU?

and why in god's name is Arizona in this list? Come on dude :dying:

So pumped OSU won. But, I think we essentially showed we shouldn't be in the playoffs this year - winning out or not. We once again failed to adjust to a lethal pass rush, which means MSU will be even harder (and they won't give us some gimme sacks/bad plays to feed off of on defense). Buckeyes are going to be great in a year or two, but this isn't their year.

Just take the winner from every conference :shrug: and eliminate half the stupid Go Daddy Pizza Hutt Bowl games .

Edited by Bucman

Just take the winner from every conference :shrug: and eliminate half the stupid Go Daddy Pizza Hutt Bowl games .

Just take the 5 power conferences (1-5 unless Notre Dame breaks the top 5, in which case 1-6.) And have the "best of the rest as 6-8.

1. FSU

2. Mississippi State

3. Oregon

4. Michigan State

5. TCU (at the moment)

6. Notre Dame

7. Alabama

8. Marshall (any undefeated team is automatic in?)

Would be a lot of premier match-ups with no 9-win Sun Belt shit.

Is the playoff going to expand in the future, or is it always going to be 9 teams?

Yeah my bad. Just a bad typo on my part.

UPDATE: Committee's First Top 25 Rankings of the Year...

1) Mississippi State

2) Florida State

3) Auburn

4) Ole Miss

5) Oregon

6) Alabama

7) TCU

8) Michigan St

9) Kansas St

10) Notre Dame

11) Georgia

12) Arizona

13) Baylor

14) Arizona St

15) Nebraska

16) Ohio St

17) Utah

18) Oklahoma

19) LSU

20) West Virgina

21) Clemson

22) UCLA

23) East Carolina

24) Duke

25) Louisville

Thoughts on the first list?

Ole Miss at #4? Dat SEC bias still going strong. :yep:

Thank God they put TCU up where they belong. If TCU wins out, and wins the Big 12 Championship, I expect to see them in the playoffs.

Ed Davis with a nasty block on Beverly. Goddamn.

So glad to see Ed getting the minutes he deserves. It still baffles me that Memphis used him so poorly.

Ed Davis with a nasty block on Beverly. Goddamn.

So glad to see Ed getting the minutes he deserves. It still baffles me that Memphis used him so poorly.

Ed Davis confirmed playoff committee.

• Upvote 1

Wrong thread fail lol

And goddamn do I want FSU to lose because they are clearly not one of the best 4 teams in the country. Jesus Christ. Soft schedule is soft.

Starting to look like by the end of the season their will be a SERIOUS darkhorse team in the playoffs. That lead up to the four team announcement is going to be crazy.

With Auburn going down it gets even more crazy. Still think we clearly recovered the first fumble and that was the wrong call, but no excuses. Nick Marshall pulling a Cam Newton there.

Plenty of chances overall not to come away with what should have been an easy W. Such a fluky loss, though.

Can't believe that last play lol. What a dumb way to throw away your title hopes. Of course, the way the season is going, if Auburn ends up taking out Bama in the Iron Bowl they could still end up in the playoff.

Edited by Thanatos19