butta54

Playoff Selection Committee

How the fuck does one become a fan of two teams in the same damn conference? I mean being a fan of 2 teams in the same sport is weird enough as it is, but in the same conference?

:badass:

How the fuck does one become a fan of two teams in the same damn conference? I mean being a fan of 2 teams in the same sport is weird enough as it is, but in the same conference?

:badass:

It happens when you grow up a fan of one school and go to another. It's where I got my two favorites.

the problem with that line of thinking is those last two words, you can't just decide "okay, we have six good teams this year, they'll all get a chance" maybe next year there'll be two teams that are clearly better than the rest, you can't change the rules mid-season

I think the root of the issue is that teams don't fully decide their own fate on the field, the Committee intercedes, which is why with five major conferences there should be eight playoff spots so that all of the conference winners get in (stipulating that conferences submit a single champion) then you can let the Committee fill out the other three spots, that way it's actually on the teams to play their way in

Eh, I worded that a bit vaguely.

Overall point is that four teams is too few in general, not that they should have changed it mid-season.

Eight team playoff looks best to me.

It happens when you grow up a fan of one school and go to another. It's where I got my two favorites.

Yeah, I root for both FGCU and FSU basketball. Grew up a Noles fan for football and basketball, went to FGCU and so I root for their basketball team as well.

Its tough when Minnesota and OSU play in sports. But I wasn't just going to abandon Minnesota when I chose to go to OSU. I was a bigger Gopher fan before picking OSU, but I've also been a Buckeye fan for a long time. It's just that now I have a harder time picking who I want to win instead of de facto rooting for Minnesota.

TCU just blew out a team that beat Alabama and Texas A&M. Meanwhile, OSU is lauded for blowing out a team that lost to Northwestern. OSU apologists ought to be eating their words.

• Upvote 2

TCU just blew out a team that lost to Arkansas 30-0, why should I be impressed?

• Upvote 1

TCU just blew out a team that lost to Arkansas 30-0, why should I be impressed?

Arkansas is good and was a tough match up stylistically for Ole Miss.

Arkansas is good and was a tough match up stylistically for Ole Miss.

But 30-0? To a .500 team?
  • Upvote 1

B5nyDobIgAAh8hS.jpg

:coffee:

But... but... they didn't play in the SEC... they couldn't have played good teams...

Ole Miss and Mississippi State haven't been playing good football since they both made those climbs into the Top 10. Miss St. peaked against Auburn, which if I'm being honest I think Auburn was and still is the better team - they just literally gave the game away. TCU is a great team, but I don't see how blowing out a team that hasn't been playing good football since mid season makes them better candidates than OSU. All three teams had great cases to get in, and there's gonna be controversy about leaving those two teams out. That being said, I've already ranted about OSU's body of work. Beating four Top 10 defenses, two of which in dominating fashions, isn't something most teams can say. Being able to dominate teams with your 2nd and 3rd string QB respectively? I don't know if even ten teams can say that.

Once again, I don't really expect anything different. There is OSU hate everywhere, and while last year is was justified and legitimized late in the season, I think for once they've played at a high enough level to justify being where they are.

Now that rant aside, and sorry for the third post but I want to differentiate rant from reason, TCU is a great team and this performance means they were definitely one of the top teams in the country. I just don't want people to think OSU didn't have a legitimate argument for getting in just because TCU in hindsight of being left out routed a supposed SEC powerhouse. I'll reiterate, TCU is a great team. They've shown it all season long. I was a little shocked that OSU made it in over them, but don't sit there and say "OSU didn't even deserve a chance getting in".

EDIT: If OSU ends up getting boat raced by Alabama (and I don't really think that will happen), I will eat my words and admit that TCU was the right choice to get in (baring a Baylor domination of MSU).

Edited by OSUViking

Arkansas isn't your average .500 team (if you watched them play you would know this). All of their losses are to solid opposition and they match up extremely well against Ole Miss. Not to say that Ole Miss didn't shit the bed against them, they sort of did. But it's no worse then getting outplayed by Virginia Tech like OSU did.

If Ohio State loses tomorrow night, a lot of arguments will be made about how TCU should have been #4 instead (hell, Baylor can still jump into this conversation), but isn't it so much better to be debating about who should have gotten the #4 spot? When it's all said and done, are we really going to have a national champion people are arguing about?

Arkansas isn't your average .500 team (if you watched them play you would know this). All of their losses are to solid opposition and they match up extremely well against Ole Miss. Not to say that Ole Miss didn't shit the bed against them, they sort of did. But it's no worse then getting outplayed by Virginia Tech like OSU did.

Except Ole Miss was supposedly an established SEC power (for this season, of course), while OSU had already been written off after losing Braxton. For fucks sake, what can't people get about improvement? It was JT Barrett's second start, and a lot of his linemen were also having their first or second start. We didn't have an established RB at that point either. Defense played as well as a defense could when your offense keeps going 3-and-out and putting you on the field.

Ole Miss was for whatever reason still hovering around the Top 10 when they played Arkansas. They lost 30-0. I don't know how often people will pull the "Arkansas isn't your average team" excuse. If people get that as as cop out when analyzing SEC teams, then OSU gets the same excuse against Penn State (which is something so many people point to).

If Ohio State loses tomorrow night, a lot of arguments will be made about how TCU should have been #4 instead (hell, Baylor can still jump into this conversation), but isn't it so much better to be debating about who should have gotten the #4 spot? When it's all said and done, are we really going to have a national champion people are arguing about?

I think if the Buckeyes lose tomorrow, then it will only solidify that we need a legitimate playoff with 8 or more teams. It'll also likely signify that the committee got the wrong team. I can at least admit that if OSU loses tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

Stick by my post. Not saying Ole Miss is some powerhouse. No one is this year. I do think the SEC West is a strong division full of competitive teams. After the Auburn loss, it was clear Arkansas would be a tough matchup stylistically for Ole Miss. Not 30-0...but Arkansas is for sure better than their record indicates IMO. It's not the same for PSU, who IMO was clearly a subpar team this year. (Sorry Sarge :D ). Regardless, OSU won that game lol. I see your points/excuses about the VT loss but I just think it's hard to put OSU over a team like TCU who doesn't have a ugly loss no matter the circumstances!

I don't think a OSU win or loss tomorrow changes anything. They are a good team and could definitely beat Bama. As could TCU. But yes, a 8 team playoff is probably needed for seasons like this.

• Upvote 1

I can appreciate that. I can admit I get a bit fired up when people talk about OSU in a negative fashion (no matter if its negative or just perceived as negative), but in hindsight I can appreciate what you said. TCU is a good team. Georgia Tech proved they're a good team tonight (probably proved that FSU is just as good) by annihilating Mississippi State. I can agree an 8 team playoff is what's best.

But again... Georgia Tech hatefucked Miss. State. What happened to MSU?

Just reinforces what I've thought/been saying. The SEC's gap over other conferences isn't even close to as big as it used to be. Still the best conference, but they are not that much better anymore. Miss State rising from unranked to #1 in 5 weeks is still ridiculous. It was all predicated on beating a couple of overrated SEC teams too.

• Upvote 2

The SEC has dominated the national title for a long time. Until that streak is broken, they remain head and shoulders above the rest of the field- at least, at the top.

They are not as deep as usual, but to say a one-year anomaly represents a trend is... not a good idea.

SEC has won 7 out of the last 8 titles. They were 90 seconds away from making that 8 straight. They are still the best conference in the country, but that doesn't mean that upsets can't happen. People put way too much weight on one game.

SEC has won 7 out of the last 8 titles. They were 90 seconds away from making that 8 straight. They are still the best conference in the country, but that doesn't mean that upsets can't happen. People put way too much weight on one game.

This isn't just one game. Ole Miss and Mississippi State have been underwhelming since halfway through the season. Arkansas was at no point a team that qualifies as an elite team. TAMU plummeted horribly. LSU was a disappointment, too. Auburn has also underwhelmed.

Three of the top SEC West teams just lost their bowl games. They didn't dominate. Two of them were dominated. Auburn played a competitive game against a team coming off a 59-0 obliteration, and lost. I'm not trying to say this is a trend, but you can look at a lot more than just one game and see the SEC West, outside of Alabama (who still has a good shot at winning this year) isn't as good as it was advertised.

Edited by OSUViking

Bware:

Did Bama throw this game too? Was this all a conspiracy to get OSU into the national championship? I'm eager to hear your input on why OSU doesn't belong at this level.

• Upvote 2

Baylor clearly deserved to be in this :yao:

• Upvote 1

I have to admit, this new playoff system changes things for me. I didn't think too highly of college football before, but I've been much more interested in this stuff than I was under the old BCS. It's already decent, but an 8 team playoff would be so awesome for the sport. At least give the teams a chance to show what they can do, you know? So that all this speculation can end.