butta54

Playoff Selection Committee

Things are looking good for TCU if they win out, but as Thanatos alluded to, there are quite a few scenarios that would lead to strong cases of 2-loss SEC teams. In the meantime, Alabama/MissSt next week is the big one.

I'd actually be kind of mad if a two loss SEC team jumped into the playoff over a standing one loss team. Yes, I'm saying this as OSU suddenly has a shot after beating MSU. But tbh, I would be saying this if OSU had zero chance (they practically do). Not sure if I'm confortable with two Big 12 teams potentially getting in.

I'd be alright with a two loss SEC Champion making it, but if they give the SEC a second team that has two losses over a one loss Pac-12 or Big-12 Champ then the playoff looks just as bad as, if not worse than, the BCS, though if the Pac-12 and Big-12 Champs both have two losses as well then all bets are off

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 2

A 2-loss SEC champ should make it in over a 1-loss tOSU team.

SEC > all other conferences.

Yeah, dem are the facts.

I was really hoping for that five-way tie in the SEC West, but stupid LSU had to go and lose to Bama

I think SEC winner is definitely in. FSU if they sweep is a lock. Honestly think its between MissSt and Bama for the SEC. Oregon deserves a spot. Then should be a toss-up of OSU, Arizona State, and TCU.

If ASU plays Oregon tight (in scenario they play conference championship), I'll take ASU over OSU any day. ASU has played a lot of tough teams while OSU has only really taken on MSU. Had they beaten Nebraska or Wisconsin I'd be more respecting but they really have no tough competition. Lost to a 4-5 VTech team.

TCU should clean Big-12 barring a major upset. Only loss was to an insane Baylor comeback. Faced solid teams too.

1. FSU

2. SEC winner

3. Oregon/ASU

4. ASU/TCU

so here's the curveball: say Miss St wins their remaining three games, that'll put them undefeated going into the Conference Championship, then they lose to Missouri or Georgia, whichever they face, in the SEC Championship, then you've got a two-loss SEC Champion in MO or GA and a one-loss non-champion in Miss St, then suppose the other conferences go as follows:

Florida St finishes undefeated winning the ACC, Oregon or ASU win out, leaving one of them as a one-loss Pac-12 Champ, Baylor or TCU win out, leaving one of them as a one-loss Big-12 Champ, and Ohio State or Nebraska win out, leaving one of them as a one-loss Big-10 Champ

that'll leave you with an undefeated FSU, which is a lock, then you've got three one-loss Conference Champs, a two loss SEC Champ, and a one loss Miss St, five teams with decent arguments for inclusion, even if you leave out the Big-10 Champ because of weak conference that still leaves four solid contenders, do you leave off a one-loss Big-12 Champ for a one-loss not-SEC-Champ Miss St? I don't think you could include Miss St over the SEC Champ in that scenario, but could you?

Edited by oochymp

Not if they just lost to them, no way.

The only way any two-loss SEC team gets in is by winning the conference, of course.

But I don't think they're a lock.

so here's the curveball: say Miss St wins their remaining three games, that'll put them undefeated going into the Conference Championship, then they lose to Missouri or Georgia, whichever they face, in the SEC Championship, then you've got a two-loss SEC Champion in MO or GA and a one-loss non-champion in Miss St, then suppose the other conferences go as follows:

Florida St finishes undefeated winning the ACC, Oregon or ASU win out, leaving one of them as a one-loss Pac-12 Champ, Baylor or TCU win out, leaving one of them as a one-loss Big-12 Champ, and Ohio State or Nebraska win out, leaving one of them as a one-loss Big-10 Champ

that'll leave you with an undefeated FSU, which is a lock, then you've got three one-loss Conference Champs, a two loss SEC Champ, and a one loss Miss St, five teams with decent arguments for inclusion, even if you leave out the Big-10 Champ because of weak conference that still leaves four solid contenders, do you leave off a one-loss Big-12 Champ for a one-loss not-SEC-Champ Miss St? I don't think you could include Miss St over the SEC Champ in that scenario, but could you?

FSU, Pac-12 champ, Big-12 champ (I'd pick TCU as while Baylor has head-to-head, TCU lost to a better team. Really debatable though.) and at that point it would be between SEC champ and Big-10 champ (for #4). Does OSU win Big-10? Edited by Chernobyl426

Based on today's rankings I think we'll see four conference champs in the playoffs, which I think is the way it should be

Edited by oochymp

Based on today's rankings I think we'll see four conference champs in the playoffs, which I think is the way it should be

To be convinced that either TCU or Oregon are better than the Tide, I'd like to Alabama lose one more time.

I would much prefer to see Oregon and TCU in the playoffs, but I don't want to spend a ton of time listening to analysts lament those two being selected over Alabama if all have 1 loss.

What I meant by "I'll be pissed if a 2-loss SEC team makes it in over a 1-loss team" wasn't directed at a 2-loss SEC Champion. If the Champion is from the West, then I think they should be a lock. I'm not at all sold on the East if they win. It was more to say that I think TCU should get in if they win out and Alabama finishes with a loss against either Auburn or Miss State.

I like how the playoff bracket looks now. TCU is rewarded for what I think has been a more impressive run than Alabama, but Alabama is put in a position where it essentially plays in if it beats Miss State. I have a question: if Miss St. loses to Alabama, do they fall out of the Top 4 or does Bama jump TCU? Or, and this has seemed increasingly likely to me, do TCU and Alabama move in and FSU drop out despite being undefeated?

Seems like just being undefeated isn't enough to the committee.

Opinions?

Also, kudos to Minnesota for being ranked in the CFB poll. It's just unfortunate that they will almost assuredly lose to OSU immediately after being ranked. Is it possible for Minnesota to win the Big Ten West with two conference losses (OSU, Illinois) IF they win against Wisconsin and Nebraska?

Yeah, didn't realize Minnesota was 7-2. That's awesome.

There is no way an undefeated FSU team doesn't make it in; just clarifying. Really should be winner of Pac-12 (Oregon/Arizona State likely), winner of Big-12 (TCU most likely), and the winner of the SEC (Doubt Bama can beat both Auburn and Miss. St). Really gonna draw a lot of controversy regardless if a 2-loss SEC teams beats a 1-loss SEC team to get in. Correct me if I'm wrong, if Bama beats Miss St and they both finish out the year, only one plays in the championship based on section of the conference?

Florida State absolutely should drop out, though. They're easily the worst of the 4 teams, and there are teams outside of the top 4 that are better than they are. I would absolutely love it if this committee dropped them. Huge controversy, but they'd deserve it because they're not as good as the others in conversation.

Man, how in the fuck did Minnesota lose to Illinois and then trounce Iowa? It makes absolutely no sense. Just irritating. I'm pulling for them, but it's hard to believe in them, just yet. They really need to find a QB.

You can't clarify teams better than FSU. No team has beaten them yet. You could just as easily knock out big-10 cause of weak conference too. Really dumb to do hypothetical of an undefeated former national champion being knocked out to 1-loss teams.

• Upvote 1

We fumbled that game away, literally. Minnesota found ways to make games against Purdue and Illinois close, and they only won one of them. If they were 8-1 with just a loss at TCU, Minnesota could be Top 15 going into the Buckeyes game following that drubbing of Iowa. I think losing at TCU 30-7 considering we had 5 turnovers and how effective that offense is speaks volumes about how far our defense has come, but it could be because TCU hadn't hit their groove.

Florida State absolutely should drop out, though. They're easily the worst of the 4 teams, and there are teams outside of the top 4 that are better than they are. I would absolutely love it if this committee dropped them. Huge controversy, but they'd deserve it because they're not as good as the others in conversation.

lolBware.

Name ONE team right now that deserves to replace FSU.

Florida State probably isn't one of the four best teams in the country, but if you take an undefeated power 5 champion out then why bother playing?

• Upvote 1

BWare pls. I don't see how you can prove they're easily the worst of the top 4 or even teams outside of it. Why? Because there's no great teams this year. There's not one team that is obviously better than the others. They all have big flaws. Miss State's defense gives up 427 yards per game. Oregon's defense gives up 456 yards per game. FSU and TCU both give up 374 a game. All four defenses are bad. But guess what? Their offenses are great. Miss St has their running attack, while Oregon, FSU, and TCU have probably the best 3 QBs in the nation. All of them are top 15 in scoring.

More specifically to FSU: They dropped 42 on Louisville's (6th in yards allowed, 9th in points allowed) defense on the road. They also overcame Clemson's (2nd in yards allowed, 12th in points allowed) defense with their backup quarterback.

They deserve to be in the top four if they're undefeated after the ACC Championship. Not one of these teams can I say they'd definitely beat FSU and that's not because I'm a Noles fan. For all the retarded shit Jameis Winston has done off the field, he's simply not a QB you can count out of a game. Somehow that dude just wills his team back. Especially considering all the holes and flaws with all these teams in the top 4 and close to it. Not one of them looks great. They all look good with holes in certain spots.

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

They're losing in the first round, regardless.

If they even make it :shrug: Each one of these teams can take an L at any time because nobody is that good this year. My whole thing is you can't know they're "easily" the worst because the other teams are just as questionable.

that very well may happen, but that's not reason enough to keep them out when they haven't lost, like blots said if a team gets through a power conference undefeated they have to be in the playoff or it has absolutely no legitimacy, even moreso when the team you're talking about is the defending National Champion and hasn't lost since November 2012

• Upvote 1

We should just crown North Dakota State champions every year and not bother with this whole playoff BS.

• Upvote 2