butta54

Playoff Selection Committee

Alabama, Oregon, FSU, and TCU are all in, at this point. There's no way the committee picks OSU ahead of any of those teams. Not even with JT Barrett.

The only team that should drop out of the rankings is FSU for their continued level of shittiness. Yes, they're better than the rest of the ACC. To be a top 5 team, they should be much better, because these other conferences are better.

Disagree. OSU every bit as talented as TCU or Baylor. If they beat Wisconsin they have a strong argument.

Florida State Seminoles: 12-0. Every other team: Not 12-0. The SoS dropoff isn't as strong as a team like Marshall. Obviously FSU is playing top50 teams and winning. So it's quite apparent FSU deserves a spot.

You once argued North Dakota State would be top 25 in FBS. If you believe a team of on that level can beat a top 25 team you certainly can believe FSU, which has won 28 straight, beating a team like Bama.

Edited by Chernobyl426

OSU is not beating Wisconsin with whoever their backup QB is. It's not going to happen barring Wisconsin completely shitting the bed.

And even if they do, they're not better than healthy TCU or Baylor.

Disagree. OSU every bit as talented as TCU or Baylor. If they beat Wisconsin they have a strong argument.

Florida State Seminoles: 12-0. Every other team: Not 12-0. The SoS dropoff isn't as strong as a team like Marshall. Obviously FSU is playing top50 teams and winning. So it's quite apparent FSU deserves a spot.

You once argued North Dakota State would be top 25 in FBS. If you believe a team of on that level can beat a top 25 team you certainly can believe FSU, which has won 28 straight, beating a team like Bama.

Last year's North Dakota State team (20+ seniors) was the best team in FCS history, and if top level FCS were ranked in the 21-25 range, they would have been.

Edited by BwareDWare94

OSU is not beating Wisconsin with whoever their backup QB is. It's not going to happen barring Wisconsin completely shitting the bed.

And even if they do, they're not better than healthy TCU or Baylor.

Last year's North Dakota State team (20+ seniors) was the best team in FCS history, and if top level FCS were ranked in the 21-25 range, they would have been.

Same talk was heard about Barrett after Braxton went down. OSU D can hold Wisconsin under 20 if they play good.

Please explain why TCU and Baylor are so much better than OSU.

The point is that anyone can beat anyone. If OSU can beat Wisconsin they'll be 12-1 against Baylor/TCU at 11-1. That win counts.

Same talk was heard about Barrett after Braxton went down. OSU D can hold Wisconsin under 20 if they play good.

Please explain why TCU and Baylor are so much better than OSU.

The point is that anyone can beat anyone. If OSU can beat Wisconsin they'll be 12-1 against Baylor/TCU at 11-1. That win counts.

They don't play in the Big 10 and have more quality wins.

I agree, but as they're to play with their third quarterback,it should not be enough to jump them over TCU or Baylor. Both play in better conferences and have more quality wins. TCU, unlike OSU, did not have any trouble with Minnesota, a team that is drastically improved but doesn't have a quarterback.

If OSU wins out they will have wins over a top 10 team, a top 15 team, and a top 25 team. 3 overall ranked wins, two on the road and one on a neutral field. Real shitty resume.

OSU also played Minnesota on the road in shitty weather. Definitely think that has to factor in.

Edited by OSUViking

If OSU wins out they will have wins over a top 10 team, a top 15 team, and a top 25 team. 3 overall ranked wins, two on the road and one on a neutral field. Real shitty resume.

OSU also played Minnesota on the road in shitty weather. Definitely think that has to factor in.

So are the Gophers stuck with Leidner for next year or can someone unseat him?

All any other Gopher QB has to be able to do is throw the ball. How Mitch Leidner became an FBS prospect is beyond me.

So are the Gophers stuck with Leidner for next year or can someone unseat him?

All any other Gopher QB has to be able to do is throw the ball. How Mitch Leidner became an FBS prospect is beyond me.

I have hope that our success this year will be enough to convince Seth Green to stay. Currently committed to Oregon, but the No. 2 prospect from Minnesota is staying home from his class so hopefully if more in-state talent starts to stay he'll flip.

I'm convinced that Minnesota is a legit QB away from being a contender in the Big Ten. Defense was playing great until our offense stagnated, which is almost 100% because of Leidner's inability to throw.

EDIT: The staff seems to be able to get the defense to play better than it is. We just can't get our QB to play that way. We definitely have the talent on the offensive line and our backfield is very deep (Cobb, Kirkwood, Edwards, Jeff Jones). Maxx Williams is looking like one of the best TEs in the country. If he was on a team that used the TE a lot and had a good QB, he'd be putting up great numbers no doubt. I just can't wait until the Gophers finally get a QB that can lead them down the field. A dominant running game and a good passing game would do our program wonders.

Edited by OSUViking

ACC 4-0 vs the SEC this past week. ACC is 4-1 for the year against the SEC. During the 2014 regular season the ACC went 10-7 against OOC Power 5 schools while the SEC only went 5-6. In fact only the B1G was worse at 6-11. Also notice that the SEC doesn't play as many other conferences like the others do, thus cloaking just how good their average to bad teams stack up against other conference's average to bad teams. Thus due to perception we automatically think the bad SEC teams are somehow better than the bad teams of other conferences.

But the ACC is terrible, the conference is a joke, any good teams from that conference are invalid and should be dropped from the top 25 immediately!

• Upvote 2

ACC 4-0 vs the SEC this past week. ACC is 4-1 for the year against the SEC. During the 2014 regular season the ACC went 10-7 against OOC Power 5 schools while the SEC only went 5-6. In fact only the B1G was worse at 6-11. Also notice that the SEC doesn't play as many other conferences like the others do, thus cloaking just how good their average to bad teams stack up against other conference's average to bad teams. Thus due to perception we automatically think the bad SEC teams are somehow better than the bad teams of other conferences.

But the ACC is terrible, the conference is a joke, any good teams from that conference are invalid and should be dropped from the top 25 immediately!

Against which half of the SEC, and which teams?

Not sure exactly what you're asking to be honest, you mean East or West?

Yes. I do not recall which includes all of the good SEC teams but it is well documented that the other is significantly weaker.

Losing to VT should keep OSU out; end of story.

Agreed with BJORN. IMO if Barrett isn't hurt I wouldn't mind having them make it, but not now.

Bravo Campin. I just want to give a hand to all the FSU fans on TGP for having to endure one of the most unified hate fest on a team in awhile. Bright side is that will all be over next season.

I think I'd give OSU a bit of a pass on losing to Tech given the circumstances, mainly that it was their first game with a rookie QB and they put it together after that loss, but losing Barrett is huge, especially because it increases the likelihood of losing the Conference Championship game, which is without a doubt a must win for them

now time for another hypothetical, what if Arizona beats Oregon? that would make them a two-loss Pac 12 Champ with two wins over Oregon in addition to wins over Utah and Arizona State, the loss to USC at home is pretty damning, but otherwise they've got a pretty strong case, what other dominoes would have to fall to get them in? (ftr they're #8 in this week's AP poll)

Agreed with BJORN. IMO if Barrett isn't hurt I wouldn't mind having them make it, but not now.

Bravo Campin. I just want to give a hand to all the FSU fans on TGP for having to endure one of the most unified hate fest on a team in awhile. Bright side is that will all be over next season.

Kinda asks for it with a rapist leading your team and FSU helping to cover it up.

SEC is considered the strongest conference because we've proven it. Six out of the last seven national champions were from the SEC. And last year, Auburn was in it and nearly beat FSU then.

If 'Bama doesn't get upset by Missouri, I'd be shocked if FSU or any other team beat them in the playoffs. And for the first time in my life, if they go up against FSU, I'd actually be rooting for them. *shudder*

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Downvote 1

Why would it matter when the SEC is head and shoulders above the other conferences, right? Or are we saying the SEC is overrated and only one division of the conference and only half of the teams in the SEC are any good now? I guess we should devalue the SEC West teams' wins over SEC East teams because they're weak competition as you say right? Welp, there's 2-3 more cupcake games for each SEC West team now. Schedule suddenly isn't as impressive. God forbid if an SEC West team were to lose to an East one too... that must mean they're trash. Oh no! Auburn got shellacked 34-7 by Georgia; an inferior SEC East team. Guess Alabama's late win against Auburn at home is actually a detriment to their team now right? How dare them for letting Auburn hang around late, because if Auburn lost to Georgia they must be garbage. Texas A&M lost to Missouri. They're obviously trash, anyone who's gotten a win over Texas A&M (top teams in the West), that W shouldn't count now via cupcake schedule. What's that? Arkansas... the SEC West team that beat Ole Miss 30-0 lost to Missouri too? Well then, Ole Miss must obviously be trash now too and Mississippi State lost to them!? They must be overrated.

Snarky-ness aside, not one team in college football this year is great. There's no superior conference this year, there's bad teams in each, good and solid ones in each. There's no great teams. They're all flawed, they can all be had. So to devalue one, like they're playing only scrubs and every other top team is playing gauntlet top level schedules exposes the clear bias.

But... aNnPid7.png

Even if one side is weaker, the SEC still played a clearly superior schedule to FSU. What was FSU's toughest game? Notre Dame? Whoopty fucking do.

Being undefeated in itself is impressive, yes, but you give FSU Alabama's, Mississipi State's, Mississipi's, TCU's, or Oregon's schedule and we're likely talking about a 2-3 loss team.

Nobody is saying Florida State sucks, but when they lose to TCU or Oregon in the first round of the playoff, and by double digits at that, the exposure we all knew would eventually happen will have come to fruition, wasting a playoff game that could have been so much better just because one team was however many wins and 0.

Edited by BwareDWare94

The rage if we win a playoff game (assuming we get there) will be delicious. Delicious, delicious rage.

• Upvote 1

Also this has probably already been said but count me among the group that believes a Mizzou win means the SEC is going to be left out of the playoffs assuming none of the other top teams lose in their conference championship game.

To be clear, I completely disagree with Bware. FSU deserves a playoff spot if they are undefeated, no question. To say otherwise is lunacy.

They're going to get stomped by Bama, but it would still be entirely unfair to take them out when they haven't lost a game in two years.

Kinda asks for it with a rapist leading your team and FSU helping to cover it up.

Were you there that night? No? Stop with the rapist talk if you don't have all the facts. The media likes to twist shit.

Anyways, I think SEC winner and PAC-12 winner gets in regardless. Honestly I think Baylor may have more of a case than TCU at the #3 or #4. They'll be taking on a pretty solid K-State team this week. Wouldn't be shocked to see them leapfrog TCU.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Even if one side is weaker, the SEC still played a clearly superior schedule to FSU. What was FSU's toughest game? Notre Dame? Whoopty fucking do.

Being undefeated in itself is impressive, yes, but you give FSU Alabama's, Mississipi State's, Mississipi's, TCU's, or Oregon's schedule and we're likely talking about a 2-3 loss team.

Nobody is saying Florida State sucks, but when they lose to TCU or Oregon in the first round of the playoff, and by double digits at that, the exposure we all knew would eventually happen will have come to fruition, wasting a playoff game that could have been so much better just because one team was however many wins and 0.

Clemson w/o Winston. ND, Louisville. GT still to come. Not that easy.

• Upvote 1

Non-Top 10 Mizzou getting into the playoffs? That might be a little bit of a strech for me.

Non-Top 10 Mizzou getting into the playoffs? That might be a little bit of a strech for me.

I don't see it happening. If Alabama loses, the SEC won't be represented in the Playoff, which is fair.