butta54

Playoff Selection Committee

They're going to get stomped by Bama, but it would still be entirely unfair to take them out when they haven't lost a game in two years.

I actually think most teams have favorable match-ups with Bama. A lot of the top teams have the passing game to thrash Bama's pass defense, which has appeared to be an issue.

Oregon, TCU, Baylor, and Florida State all have Top 15 passing attacks, whereas Alabama has the 54th ranked pass defense. When you look at some of the notable teams Bama has played, you see that against the top offenses they've played, they've generally played poorly (except for TAMU and we all know how well that panned out when they played more legit teams). They've even surrendered some decent yardage to teams that don't even crack the Top 50 in passing yards per game. I actually had a post that listed out the teams they've played, where they rank in total offense and passing yards, and how many yards they put up against Bama. My browser crashed and didn't save it, so I apologize for that.

That being said, Alabama is probably the best team. But its not like they are the juggernaut people seem so desperate to make them out to be. Their pass defense is a concern, IMO. I think that if Jameis is asked to step up against Bama, he could. FSU's greatest enemy is themselves in the first half, and if they keep the deficit manageable (which shouldn't be said about a potential playoff team, I agree, but they've proven to be clutch in recent games), then I think they can pull it off. They overcame a multiple touchdown deficit against a top defense in Louisville on the road.

• Upvote 1

I don't see it happening. If Alabama loses, the SEC won't be represented in the Playoff, which is fair.

seems about right, everyone in the SEC would then have a loss, trouble is if OSU and/or FSU also lose their Championship, hard to justify putting in Wisconsin or Georgia Tech (#14 and 16 respectively in the last CFP ranking) so you'd probably end up with TCU and Baylor both making it (assuming both win I think this is the way to go if two or more of Bama, OSU, and FSU lose their conference championships) and whoever wins the Pac-12 Championship (I think two of Bama, FSU, and OSU losing would be enough to get a Pac-12 Champ Arizona in) then #4 is a crapshoot, based on the AP Poll for this week it looks like it might be Michigan State, but maybe they would go with the team that upset a frontrunner in a conference championship game or put someone in despite losing their conference championship game, whatever would happen it would certainly be interesting

Edited by oochymp

Wisconsin should be ranked higher. There is a team with the same amount of losses and zero chance at making the playoff ranked higher than them (Michigan State). Mississippi State will also likely be ranked higher, despite having little chance of making it. I definitely think Wisconsin is worthy of being a Top 10 team in the playoff rankings just based on the fact that they can still beat a Top 10 team for a Power 5 Conference Championship.

Wisconsin should be ranked higher. There is a team with the same amount of losses and zero chance at making the playoff ranked higher than them (Michigan State). Mississippi State will also likely be ranked higher, despite having little chance of making it. I definitely think Wisconsin is worthy of being a Top 10 team in the playoff rankings just based on the fact that they can still beat a Top 10 team for a Power 5 Conference Championship.

AP this week has Wisconsin at 11, they were 14 in the AP last week (same as CFP which hasn't come out this week) so maybe they'll move up more in this week's CFP ranking, I'd say if they're in the top ten it probably signals that they'll get in if they beat OSU and Bama or FSU get upset, still not sure they'd move ahead of TCU or Baylor (seriously, Big 12 needs a championship game) meaning they might need both Bama and FSU to lose

Edited by oochymp

Were you there that night? No? Stop with the rapist talk if you don't have all the facts. The media likes to twist shit.

Anyways, I think SEC winner and PAC-12 winner gets in regardless. Honestly I think Baylor may have more of a case than TCU at the #3 or #4. They'll be taking on a pretty solid K-State team this week. Wouldn't be shocked to see them leapfrog TCU.

I wasn't there when the first creature came out of the primordial ooze, but I can look at the evidence and figure out that the overwhelming probability is that this indeed occurred.

Pretty dumb argument, Chern. I don't have to be there to be able to form an educated opinion on the matter. Simply because it conflicts with what is apparently yours does not mean I have not, in fact, looked into the matter in great detail and come to the conclusion that the charges that were leveled against Winston are justified.

I don't jump on media bandwagons. I don't believe Roethlisberger raped anyone, for example. I am, however, pretty sure that Winston got away with raping a girl because the police didn't want to go investigate the case thoroughly and now it is far too late to try to do so, of course.

Am I 100% sure? No. But I'm 90% sure. And that's more than enough for me to wish that he fail. Since he happens to be on FSU, I root against them.

I have no real personal bias against FSU. They did beat Auburn last year, but other than that I never really felt anything towards them one way or the other. But anyone who has Jameis Winston as a part of their team will be a team I root against.

Edited by Thanatos19

I don't understand why the committee has to release the final rankings on Sunday afternoon after doing so on Tuesday night all year. Isn't that a little rushed after the Saturday games? Are they all gonna pull all-nighters to get the rankings done?

• Upvote 1

I don't understand why the committee has to release the final rankings on Sunday afternoon after doing so on Tuesday night all year. Isn't that a little rushed after the Saturday games? Are they all gonna pull all-nighters to get the rankings done?

Going into the final weekend, I'm sure they have a good idea of what they'll do in each scenario.

Baylor will leapfrog TCU if TCU does anything other than completely slaughter Iowa State.

Granted, I think Baylor has a legitimate chance to lose to KSU. Baylor doesn't have TCU's defense.

Baylor will leapfrog TCU if TCU does anything other than completely slaughter Iowa State.

Granted, I think Baylor has a legitimate chance to lose to KSU. Baylor doesn't have TCU's defense.

I was thinking the same thing. I read something about Kansas State's offense being primarily run-driven, so when they can't run they struggle. I'm not sure how true that is, but I'd imagine it would be easier to run against Baylor than TCU.

I think the committee put FSU on notice tonight. They aren't impressed with them just winning games and they have zero chance to get in with an ACC championship loss.

I think the committee put FSU on notice tonight. They aren't impressed with them just winning games and they have zero chance to get in with an ACC championship loss.

But is that news to anyone? The committee put FSU on notice when they put a one loss Oregon ahead of them a month ago
  • Upvote 1

But is that news to anyone? The committee put FSU on notice when they put a one loss Oregon ahead of them a month ago

I think it might be news to FSU fans. For the people who wanted to see them fall this falls in line with their logic all season, but there are many fans or people rooting for FSU that just believed if they continued to win there was no way their lack of game control would cause them to drop too far.

While this isn't a huge drop, being dropped to the last playoff spot a week before the final selections...after coming off a win.....well I think their is no more denial for any college fan or casual spectator. The game control is very much something that impresses the committee.

Edited by butta55

Yeah, any FSU fan who isn't delusional knew if they lost at any point given their close games against unranked teams would mean they were out. This new drop means nothing though IMO, because if they beat Georgia Tech who's ranked 11th now they're in because that's a quality win at the end of the season.

Who really got put on notice here is Baylor. So much so that Baylor hired a firm to write an open letter to prove their case :lol:

https://twitter.com/Jake_Trotter/status/539586853541019648

Also, FSU's chances of winning are better now that Georgia Tech unfortunately lost top WR DeAndre Smelter (who looks like he projects well into the NFL despite how little GT passes the ball.) He helped them keep defenses honest by being a threat in the passing game to keep defenses from completely keying on the run. Sucks for Smelter though, great player. Luckily in 2014 torn ACLs aren't what they used to be.

PR firms? This whole "committee" idea was ripe for corruption before, but now it has potential to get nasty. It'll be a college football version of House of Cards.

:devious:

• Upvote 1

Baylor beating K-State should put them in over TCU. Don't know what logic is against that. Give TCU a spot in the Fiesta. Baylor beat TCU. Both are 10-1. Who has the edge?

Baylor beating K-State should put them in over TCU. Don't know what logic is against that. Give TCU a spot in the Fiesta. Baylor beat TCU. Both are 10-1. Who has the edge?

Baylor lost to WVU. It is what it is. Losing to an unranked team is going to trump losing to a ranked team. Even if that ranked team is the team you beat.

• Upvote 1

The logic in putting TCU ahead of Baylor is that TCU is better than Baylor, which is true. Baylor won a crazy ass shootout at home by a single point (I think it was only 1). Not very impressive.

Baylor beat TCU by 3, but functionally there's not a whole lot of difference between a one and a three point win, their loss to WVU the following week, however, was to the tune of 41-27, and that's why they're on the outside looking in

Baylor beat Kansas 60-14. Kansas nearly upset TCU. I think even with the fact WVU beat Baylor, the head to head is the most important factor.

Also, FSU's chances of winning are better now that Georgia Tech unfortunately lost top WR DeAndre Smelter (who looks like he projects well into the NFL despite how little GT passes the ball.) He helped them keep defenses honest by being a threat in the passing game to keep defenses from completely keying on the run. Sucks for Smelter though, great player. Luckily in 2014 torn ACLs aren't what they used to be.

GT always has that one WR who is really good in spite of their offensive scheme. Demaryius Thomas, Stephen Hill, etc. lol

• Upvote 1

Baylor beat Kansas 60-14. Kansas nearly upset TCU. I think even with the fact WVU beat Baylor, the head to head is the most important factor.

and Baylor was nearly upset by Texas Tech this week, who TCU beat 82-27

Edited by oochymp

Yeah but they have the same record, basically the same schedule, and Baylor won when they played. This controversy makes no sense.

GT always has that one WR who is really good in spite of their offensive scheme. Demaryius Thomas, Stephen Hill, etc. lol

Megatron before DT :shifty:

• Upvote 1

The announcement for the bowl games has been on the Sunday after conference titles for as long as I can remember. I imagine it has something to do with allowing the teams enough time to get their schedules planned, the bowl sites to prep, get the advertisements ready, tickets sold, etc, etc, etc.

Of course I have no idea how much a push to Tuesday would interrupt that schedule, but that's the only reason I can guess it's still on Sunday.