butta54

Playoff Selection Committee

Baylor beat Kansas 60-14. Kansas nearly upset TCU. I think even with the fact WVU beat Baylor, the head to head is the most important factor.

Yeah but they have the same record, basically the same schedule, and Baylor won when they played. This controversy makes no sense.

Baylor had HFA in their matchup and won by 3 points. If it was on a neutral field or at TCU, you'd have a pretty good argument. Since its at Baylor, there's controversy, and that controversy is also fueled by Baylor's loss to an unranked team.

I don't think there's any way Baylor leapfrogs TCU unless TCU loses. The loss to WVU is simply too bad.

Edited by Thanatos19

Megatron before DT :shifty:

Megatron was before Georgia Tech switched to the triple option/Paul Johnson's offense.

Although the QB wasn't too different from what is usually at GT. Reggie Ball was mobile but inaccurate as all fuck :yao:

• Upvote 2

Baylor had HFA in their matchup and won by 3 points. If it was on a neutral field or at TCU, you'd have a pretty good argument. Since its at Baylor, there's controversy, and that controversy is also fueled by Baylor's loss to an unranked team.

I don't think there's any way Baylor leapfrogs TCU unless TCU loses. The loss to WVU is simply too bad.

But losing to Baylor shouldn't be a good reason to go ahead of Baylor!

OK, so who here actually thinks Baylor has a better team than TCU?

One has a defense (That had its worst game in Waco. Big deal). The other? Not so much.

As long as TCU beats Iowa State by 30+, they should get in. If they can't do that, Baylor should surpass them if they handily beat KSU.

If only they played this year so we'd have an easy way to tell which is better.

If only they played this year so we'd have an easy way to tell which is better.

Because we all know that a single game definitively establishes which team is better
  • Upvote 1

OK, so who here actually thinks Baylor has a better team than TCU?

One has a defense (That had its worst game in Waco. Big deal). The other? Not so much.

As long as TCU beats Iowa State by 30+, they should get in. If they can't do that, Baylor should surpass them if they handily beat KSU.

Guess what, brah? TCU is ranked 27th in total team defense while Baylor is ranked 23rd.

TCU also let a really, really, really bad Kansas team drop 30 points on them (and nearly beat them).

Baylor is the better team.

• Upvote 1

Because we all know that a single game definitively establishes which team is better

No. You have to take stuff like records and strength of schedule into account. I'm not saying West Virginia deserves it over Baylor. Its just:

They have the same record.

They're in the same conference.

Baylor Beat TCU.

The only big advantage TCU has is that they played Minnesota in OOC while Baylor had a weak OOC schedule. But while Minnesota is a pretty good team, I don't see how beating them should mean more than Baylor beating the team they're being compared to.

Edited by blotsfan

and Baylor was nearly upset by Texas Tech this week, who TCU beat 82-27

Making the head-to-head even more valuable.

No. You have to take stuff like records and strength of schedule into account. I'm not saying West Virginia deserves it over Baylor. Its just:

They have the same record.

They're in the same conference.

Baylor Beat TCU.

The only big advantage TCU has is that they played Minnesota in OOC while Baylor had a weak OOC schedule. But while Minnesota is a pretty good team, I don't see how beating them should mean more than Baylor beating the team they're being compared to.

Because it was at Baylor and they only won by 3. Not sure why that logic is so difficult to understand.

Winning > Losing

Not sure why that logic is so difficult to understand.

• Upvote 1

Recall TCU only beat WVU by 1 on a last second field goal. Beat Oklahoma 37-33 while Baylor stomped Oklahoma.

West Virginia is far from weak.

Edited by Chernobyl426

These type of circular arguments is why college football sucks.

• Upvote 1

Winning > Losing

Not sure why that logic is so difficult to understand.

GET OUT OF HERE BLOTS THOSE STUPID SEMINOLES N THEIR RAPIST QB SHOULD BE BANNED FROM THE PLAYOFFS FOREVER BECAUSE HTEY WIN UGLY AGAINST DIVISION III TEAMS!

anybody think geography might play into the rankings? one of the guys I work with mentioned it at lunch, but as it sits now, FSU would play Bama, which would be easy to set as the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans, and Oregon would play TCU in the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, minimizing travel for the teams involved

well, TCU and Oregon are both in, looks like Bama's gonna run away with this SEC Championship Game, as expected, tonight's games should make the last spot clear

Bama Oregon and TCU are in, (assuming Bama holds on).

Now what if the scenario where FSU loses and Baylor and OSU win occurs? Do you put OSU in? Right now they are #5.

Edited by Thanatos19

Baylor is practically out. Only chance of OSU in is an FSU loss or committee drops TCU.

looking like there should probably be no change in the top six

Based on what the committee did last week, I don't see how they change the top 4. Ohio State and Baylor have strong arguments, but if you considered TCU the 3rd best team in the country last week, I don't see how you can justifiably change that after they beat Iowa State 55-3.

Having said all this, I hope they do something crazy/unpredictable for the chaos factor.

I'm still hoping they drop FSU, just because it would be hilarious, ideal scenario would be for FSU to be left out of the playoffs then beat Mississippi State in a bowl game

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

OSU has better argument than TCU now. I'd say TCU if they won big 12 championship but they don't have one. Ohio State just took what was supposed to be #13 team in the nation and beat them 59-0. Any question about Cardale is gone.

If I'm voting this is my bracket:

1) Alabama

2) Oregon

3) Florida State

4) Ohio State

This season just proved the system is still flawed and we need more than 4 teams.

I may be biased but I'll take a 59-0 over the #2 defense over 55-3 against Iowa State (no offense JD).