butta54

Playoff Selection Committee

If I'm voting this is my bracket:

1) Alabama

2) Oregon

3) Florida State

4) Ohio State

:yep: We share the same vote.

This season just proved the system is still flawed and we need more than 4 teams.

:yep: I think it should be eight teams in the future. Anything more and it would be rewarding some teams that don't deserve to belong in the conversation in my opinion.

It just sucks that teams like Baylor, TCU, and/or Ohio State could be on the outside looking in, when they could very realistically give any of those "Top 4" teams a run for their money.

Big 12 should be left out until they man up and have a conference championship game :shrug:

This season just proved the system is still flawed and we need more than 4 teams.

No. One season doesn't prove anything. This year would be perfect for a 6-team playoff; maybe next year there are 5 teams in the discussion at the end. But debating about who should be #4 >>>>> debating about who should be #2.

If TCU, Ohio State, or Baylor are upset about what happens in a few hours, they can blame themselves for the loss they have on their record.

Wow looks like what I was saying ALL last night was right. :smug:

As much as I am an advocate for the an 8-team playoff, the committee got it right. Only concern I have now is TCU not playing in a BCS bowl at #6.

The problem people are having are separating the committee from the BCS system. This isn't numbers and cold logic. So them putting a team at #3 doesn't hamstring them to keeping a sense of consistency. Everyone thought they screwed themselves, but they didn't. They don't have to do anything. It is completely subjective and when you are dealing with human people with their own thoughts they can change their opinion rapidly for a million different reasons. That's why the committee is better than the BCS because their is discussion and lots of things are taken into consideration. Losing two QBs and still winning was a big boost in their eyes, while in some other eyes it would be a negative because you don't want to see a third string QB. That's the beauty of the debate.

What

a

fucking

joke.

Wisconsin did not show up at all.

On ESPN, the committee chairman kept emphasizing "body of work" when asked about Ohio State being elevated to 4th. I have to assume that's the same body of work that includes:

• a home loss to 6-6 Virginia Tech
  • trailing to Navy at halftime at home
  • a double overtime victory over Penn State that included awful officiating
  • trailing in the third quarter to Indiana

Alabama is gonna put up a serious whoppin' in the Sugar Bowl.

• Upvote 1

So Baylor jumped TCU? What did Baylor do to jump them and what did TCU do to cause themselves to fall behind Baylor?

Edited by BradyFan81

So Baylor jumped TCU? What did Baylor do to jump them and what did TCU do to cause themselves to fall?

The committee either suddenly realized Baylor beat TCU head-to-head or chose to ignore that fact last week and consider it this week.

I understand that the committee isn't as attached to prior rankings as previous polls, but what happened in the last week that would change anyone's opinion on these teams?

I think there's solid justification for moving OSU ahead of TCU (similar win margin against a much better team with the third string QB) but how do you justify flipping TCU and FSU when the only change in their resume is that TCU wiped the floor with a bad team while FSU barely beat a team that can't throw the ball? and the sudden change of opinion on the TCU/Baylor debate is even more baffling

Edited by oochymp

was the committee basically just admitting a mistake in regards to TCU's placement last week? I'd be fine if someone would actually state that

So yeah....this turned out worse than the BCS. It'll be better in the long run but they really, really fucked up this year

So yeah....this turned out worse than the BCS. It'll be better in the long run but they really, really fucked up this year

I don't know about that. The method by which you select x amount of teams is always going to be flawed and criticized. But a playoff system with 4 teams is far superior to a system with 2 teams. Let's give this system a few years before we condemn it.

• Upvote 2

I'm so goddamn livid. TCU and Baylor are definitively better than OSU and FSU, and arguably better than the other two teams because Alabama can't defend the pass and they have good enough defenses to stick with the Ducks.

Not having either of those teams in the playoff is a fucking joke.

Goddamn political bullshit. OSU was chosen because od who they are, and nothing more

Edited by BwareDWare94

because of who they are? you mean a one-loss Conference Champ whose only loss was at the beginning of the season in a freshman QB's first start? a team that just won its conference championship 59-0 with a QB who started the season #3 on the depth chart? yeah, I think it's safe to say OSU made the playoffs because of who they are

bottom line is there are six deserving teams this season, let's just be glad that more than two of them get a shot at the title

Edited by oochymp

because of who they are? you mean a one-loss Conference Champ whose only loss was at the beginning of the season in a freshman QB's first start? a team that just won its conference championship 59-0 with a QB who started the season #3 on the depth chart? yeah, I think it's safe to say OSU made the playoffs because of who they are

bottom line is there are six deserving teams this season, let's just be glad that more than two of them get a shot at the title

SteVo gave plenty of reason as to why they don't deserve to be in it.

TCU or Baylor would have slaughtered all of those team.

Wisconsin folded so their conference would be represented in the playoff. OSU is not 59 points better.

• Downvote 3

@oochy

I would say FSU completing their undefeated season is enough reason to move them up to #3. At that point you look at Baylor/TCU/OSU for the #4 spot and make a decision. As I said all last night the smart move would be to go with OSU to avoid the debate between TCU and Baylor....however that is MO and not saying that is their thoughts. The committee was wrong in a lot of people's eyes for putting TCU at #3 but they won't have to explain themselves in too much detail.

Over time we will just have to get used to the committee having their debates and discussions in private and trust they are picking the best. Now this goes to my point before the season even started.....who they put on the committee is going to be far more important than anything else in the long run

but FSU was undefeated last week, are you saying the Committee did their rankings last week assuming FSU wouldn't complete its undefeated season? because otherwise by putting TCU ahead of FSU last week the Committee said they thought TCU was better than an undefeated FSU

• Upvote 1

On ESPN, the committee chairman kept emphasizing "body of work" when asked about Ohio State being elevated to 4th. I have to assume that's the same body of work that includes:

• a home loss to 6-6 Virginia Tech
  • trailing to Navy at halftime at home
  • a double overtime victory over Penn State that included awful officiating
  • trailing in the third quarter to Indiana

Alabama is gonna put up a serious whoppin' in the Sugar Bowl.

that home loss was the first start of a freshman QB, they beat Navy 34-17 and Indiana 42-27, and they did come out of the road game against Penn State with a win, so I don't see why mid-game scores should have much meaning

it's worth noting that only three FBS teams finished the season undefeated in conference play, FSU, OSU, and Georgia Southern, Georgia Southern is in the Sun Belt and went 1-3 out of conference, and the other two made the playoffs

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 1