Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Seahawks @ Panthers

By JEFF MEZYDLO

STATS Senior Writer
(AP) -- As rough as things have gone recently for the Seattle Seahawks, the NFC South-leading Carolina Panthers might be in worse shape mentally than the reigning Super Bowl champions.

Trying to avoid their first three-game, single-season skid in three years, the visiting Seahawks look for a fourth consecutive victory over the frustrated Panthers on Sunday.

Seattle (3-3) is ready to move on from a rough eight-day span that started with a 30-23 loss to Dallas at home, followed by the surprising trade of versatile receiver Percy Harvin to the New York Jets and concluded with a 28-26 loss at St. Louis last Sunday.

The Seahawks haven't dropped three in a row in the same season since Oct. 23-Nov. 6, 2011.

"(There are) dudes with a lot of heart in here," linebacker Bruce Irvin said. "Like anywhere else, when you face adversity it's how you respond."

Amid their frustration, the Seahawks intend to focus on the positive strides made while nearly overcoming a 21-3 deficit at St. Louis. Seattle scored touchdowns on their final three possessions, each covering at least 80 yards.

Russell Wilson threw for 313 yards and rushed for 106 to become the first quarterback to pass for at least 300 and run for 100. Without Harvin, Doug Baldwin caught seven passes for 123 yards and TD as the Seahawks outgained the Rams 463-272.

However, Seattle allowed a 90-yard punt return for a touchdown, a 75-yard kickoff return that set up a Rams' touchdown and a fake punt late in the fourth that allowed St. Louis to run out the clock.

"We've got work to do, we've got work to do to get consistent," coach Pete Carroll said.

A Seahawks team ranked first in total defense (273.6 yards per game) and points allowed (14.4) last season had yielded at least 300 in the four games prior to facing the Rams and ranks 19th giving up 23.5 points per contest.

Injuries haven't helped, but Carroll is optimistic cornerbacks Byron Maxwell (calf) and defensive tackle Jordan Hill (ankle) could play Sunday.

Wilson, meanwhile, ranks among the league leaders completing 65.7 percent of his passes while throwing 10 TDs, two interceptions and posting a 101.9 passer rating. Though he's rushed for more than 100 yards in two of the last three contests, Wilson would rather succeed with his arm than his legs.

"I really don't want to run, to be honest with you," he said. "I'm trying to throw it all the time and keep my eyes down the field."

Wilson went 25 of 33 for 320 yards during last season's 12-7 victory at Carolina. He connected with Jermaine Kearse on a 43-yard scoring play early in the fourth quarter for the decisive touchdown.

Cam Newton completed 53.8 percent of his passes for 266 yards with a TD and was sacked five times as Seattle has held the Panthers to 19 points in winning the last two meetings in as many seasons.

Newton threw for 284 yards with two TDs and ran for 107 with another score in the 37-all tie at Cincinnati on Oct. 12, but was held to 246 total yards in last Sunday's 38-17 loss at Green Bay.

The Panthers (3-3-1), who lead the South only because no other team in the division has more than two wins, trailed 28-0 before Graham Gano's 33-yard field goal ended the first half.

"We're number one in the division right now, but if we continue to play the way we have it won't last long," linebacker Thomas Davis said.

The reigning South champions ranked just behind Seattle allowing 15.1 points per contest last season when they gave up 30 or more once. Ranked 29th in scoring defense (27.9) this season, Carolina has given up an average of 34.8 points its last five games since allowing 21 total in consecutive wins over Tampa Bay and Detroit to start the season.

"What are we going to do? Quit? Absolutely not," Newton said. "We have to keep going, keep fighting and we'll figure out a way to get out of this."

Carolina will have linebacker and reigning defensive player of the year Luke Kuechly on the field after he was ejected but not fined for making contact with back judge Steve Freeman in the third quarter at Green Bay. Panthers coach Ron Rivera said Wednesday the NFL informed him that Kuechly was wrongfully ejected.

Running back DeAngelo Williams could be back after missing the last three games with an ankle injury, but it's uncertain how the offensive line will look.

Rookie guard Trai Turner is out with a sprained knee and ankle while the statuses of tackle Byron Bell (elbow) and guard Amini Silatolu (calf) remain uncertain.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

Seahawks are gonna come back with a vengeance. I can't see them losing three in a row, no way it happens.

:Seahawks: 34

:panthers: 10

Panthers RB Chris Ogbonnaya (groin) is active for Sunday's Week 8 game against the Seahawks.

Ogbonnaya had a scare during practice this week, but he's ready to pick up some of the slack behind starter Jonathan Stewart.
DeAngelo Williams (ankle) and Fozzy Whittaker (quad) are both inactive.
The rest of the Panthers inactives: CB Bene' Benwikere, G Trai Turner, G Amini Silatolu, LB Chase Blackburn and WR Corey Brown.

Seahawks TE Luke Willson (groin) is active for Sunday's Week 8 game at Carolina.

Willson's return means Cooper Helfet is not a thing anymore, even though Zach Miller (ankle) remains sidelined. Marshawn Lynch is active, of course, despite chemistry rumors -- he's not going to be traded at the deadline either.
The rest of the Seahawks inactives: WR Bryan Walters, CB Byron Maxwell, LB Bobby Wagner, C Max Unger, DT Jordan Hill and T McDonald.

How many points can we leave on the field?

Neither of these teams want this game.

"You take it."

"No, you old chap, you guys need it more."

"No, no, I insist, you take it."

Both teams turning it over the in the redzone, and not good defensive plays either. Lynch and Wilson were bottled up really well earlier in the game. Our offensive line clearly hasn't fixed it's problems. An ugly win. Its only October. Let's get healthier and go stomp the Raiders at home next week.

Oh, and Paul Richardson is getting closer and closer to breaking out. I like the guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How do you call a screen play on 4th and 25? Mike Shula should have been fired a year ago, this is just pathetic. Losing that game hurts really badly, we should have won that one going away.

Newton played terrible, Shula had some awful, awful playcalling.

Positives: Stewart looked good running the ball.

Defense was pretty good except at the end when we went into soft zone and prevent, because Rivera and McDermott can't fucking call a defense at the end of the game. They were basically okay with Seattle going down and getting a FG, just wanted to keep them out of the endzone.

Refs: Can someone explain to me why we lost a timeout on the Harper injury after the Seattle TD? Clock is stopped, we shouldn't have lost a timeout

Oh we also had a playaction pass on that series, with 40 seconds left. Just lol. If Shula isnt fired this team deserves whatever they get.

Is Chudzinski hired by anyone?

Thoughts on Mike Shula here: http://www.thegridironpalace.com/forums/index.php?/topic/71410-it-is-waaay-past-time-for-mike-shula-to-go/&do=findComment&comment=2538820

This game is squarely on Shula's shoulders. Godawful playcalling. Sure Cam had his worst game of the year, but we still should have won going away and would have with any competent OC.

I can't help but feel the Panthers should be so much better than that are. Not a fan of them or what have you, so I don't have a large base for that opinion. Just seems that way. Granted, they did play the Seahawks today and the Packers looked equally inept, so... Maybe it was just the product of playing a great defensive team.

No I agree. Most Panther fans I know do.

The coaching staff is holding this team back.

McDermott and Rivera can't call defense at the end of games. Its why we're awful in close games under Ron. He goes into soft coverage and prevent and goes away from what has been working all damn day. Why the hell do you think going into soft coverage with over four fucking minutes left when you have been shutting them the fuck down all day long with your normal defense is a good idea?

Mike Shula may be the worst OC in the league. He has no fucking clue how to call a game. How do you justify that last series of playcalls?

We should be 5-3 at this point and in total control of the lmaoNFCSouth, instead we are at 3-4-1 and we will likely lose to the Saints on TNF as well after this stinker.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

The other thing that pisses me off is that the Hawks were eaten alive by TEs all year. We have one of the best in the league atm, or he is playing like it at least.

What do we do?

1 catch for 16 yards. Seriously.

Just cannot fucking believe Mike Shula's playcalling. So frustrated with this team's coaching staff holding us back.

For anyone else wondering why we were charged a timeout, its because the rule is asinine. He doesn't address why the Hawks didn't lose a timeout when they had a player hurt on the ensuing kickoff, unless that is change of possession, I guess. If the clock is already stopped a timeout should not be taken. The intent of the rule is to prevent a player from faking an injury and thus getting a free timeout. If the clock is already stopped, this is clearly not what is going on. Obviously, this did not affect the outcome of this game, but it very well could have.

Oh and to add onto this, and again show why Harper should have been fired this morning: he wasn't hurt. He just wanted a few extra breaths and cost us a timeout.

@MikePereira: For those asking about panthers charged TO, it was within two minutes.

Always applies - unless there's a change of possession.

Edited by Thanatos19

The other thing that pisses me off is that the Hawks were eaten alive by TEs all year. We have one of the best in the league atm, or he is playing like it at least.

What do we do?

1 catch for 16 yards. Seriously.

Just cannot fucking believe Mike Shula's playcalling. So frustrated with this team's coaching staff holding us back.

Haven't looked at the all 22, but I'm wondering if he wasn't called on to block considering the attrition along the Panther's OL.

Nope, the excuse was you guys were rolling a safety over the top so he obviously could never be used within ten yards of the line of scrimmage. (sarcasm alert)