BLUE

Bills @ Jets

By TAYLOR BECHTOLD

STATS Writer

(AP) -- The Buffalo Bills are in the AFC East race riding their best start in three years, though they'll have a much different look offensively with their once-dangerous backfield tandem out of action.

As the visiting Bills look to win five of their first eight for the second time in six years, the New York Jets hope to avoid losing seven in a row for the first time since 2005 in Percy Harvin's debut Sunday.

Buffalo (4-3) ranked second with 144.2 rushing yards per game last season, but the surprising club has dropped to 19th at 103.4 with two rookies on the offensive line in 2014.

The situation worsened last week when co-starters C.J. Spiller and Fred Jackson went down roughly 10 minutes apart in the first half of a 17-16 home win over Minnesota on Sunday.

Spiller was placed on the reserve injured/designated to return list after having surgery Monday to repair an injury to his collarbone, while Jackson is expected to miss at least four weeks with a groin injury.

The Bills will turn to backups Bryce Brown and Anthony Dixon to carry the load for the near future. Phillip Tanner, who spent three seasons with Dallas, also was signed to provide some needed depth.

"I told (Spiller and Jackson), I'm going to go out there and play for them," said Brown, who ran for 878 yards on 4.6 per carry the past two seasons with Philadelphia. "I'll do my very best. I don't want to let those guys down."

The Bills, who haven't finished above .500 since 2004, have a winning record after seven games for the first time since 2011.

New York ranks eighth against the run at 88.0 yards per game, but had allowed a combined 300 on the ground in a two-game stretch before limiting New England to 63 in its 27-25 road loss Oct. 16.

Kyle Orton capped a 15-play, 80-yard drive with a two-yard touchdown pass to rookie Sammy Watkins with one second remaining last week as Buffalo kept pace with division-leading Patriots (5-2). Watkins - the fourth overall pick - leads the Bills with 35 receptions for 433 yards and four TDs and is coming off his best game as a pro after finishing with nine catches for 122 yards and two scores.

Orton, who has led two late comeback drives in his three starts, might be able to expose a Jets secondary that blew several coverages and allowed two touchdown passes by Tom Brady at New England.

"We can't deny where we are at, we're 1-6," New York coach Rex Ryan said. "The job is every day to get better and I believe our football team is getting better, it just hasn't been good enough to win yet."

After totaling a season-low 151 yards in a 31-0 loss at San Diego on Oct. 5 and 204 in a 31-17 home loss to Denver the following week, the Jets finished with a season-best 423 versus New England.

Chris Ivory led a 218-yard rushing performance with a season-high 107 and a touchdown on 21 carries. He had 98 yards and a score on 15 carries in the most recent meeting with the Bills, a 37-14 road loss Nov. 17.

Geno Smith was 8 of 23 for 103 yards with three interceptions in that contest. He's hoping to build on last week's effort in which he completed 20 of 34 for 226 yards with a touchdown and did not throw a pick for the first time this season.

The embattled quarterback will have a new target in Harvin after general manager John Idzik completed a deal with Seattle for the speedy playmaker Saturday in exchange for a draft pick.

Harvin, who ran back a second-half kickoff 87 yards for a touchdown in Seattle's Super Bowl victory, had 22 catches for 133 yards while adding 92 rushing yards and a score in five games this season.

He has been injury prone throughout his career and there are also questions about his character and interactions.

"I'm learning from those lessons," said Harvin, who also will serve as the team's kick returner. "I'm happy to be here right now and looking to make the most out of it."

The Jets might need a big contribution against a Buffalo team that ranks fourth against the run at 80.4 yards per game and is tied for fifth with 12 turnovers and 19 sacks, led by Marcell Dareus' seven.

New York has won four in a row and 12 of the past 16 home meetings.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

Bah who needs a run game when you have Kyle \__0_/ Orton.

Jets are gonna get RKO'd out of nowhere.

:Bills: 34

:Jets: 10

Eric Decker (hamstring) is active for Week 8 against the Bills.

Decker was limited in practice for rest purposes, but should be close to fully healthy. He's the No. 22 receiver in Rotoworld's rankings this week.
The Jets inactives are WR Greg Salas, DL T.J. Barnes, OG Dakota Dozier, LB Enekmpali Ikemefuna, OL Wesley Johnson, WR Walter Powell, and LB Trevor Riley.

Bills S Aaron Williams (neck) is active for Sunday's Week 8 game against the Jets.

Williams has been cleared to start despite being limited in practice and listed as questionable.
Buffalo's inactives are RB Fred Jackson, Marquise Goodwin, RT Cyrus Kouandjio, CB Ross Cockrell, WR Marcus Easley, LB Ty Powell, and RB Phillip Tanner.

let's recap Geno Smith's day:

Underthrow

4-yards to Decker

Overthrow

INT

1-yard to Johnson

INT on an underthrow

Overthrow

INT on an overthrow

let's recap Geno Smith's day:

Underthrow

4-yards to Decker

Overthrow

INT

1-yard to Johnson

INT on an underthrow

Overthrow

INT on an overthrow

You forgot another Jets loss :smug:

Geeenoo Smith!

MICHAEL VICK!

Geeenoo Smith!

MICHAEL VICK!

Geno sucks! He really really sucks! Geno sucks! He really really sucks!

It sucks with how amazing Sammy was, all that anyone will remember is his stupid moment.

It sucks with how amazing Sammy was, all that anyone will remember is his stupid moment.

It was a rookie mistake. People need to get that through their skulls.

I just shrugged, and continued watching and was happy for Sammy when he got his TD :)