BLUE

Colts @ Steelers

By JORDAN GARRETSON

STATS Writer
(AP) -- The Indianapolis Colts are looking like one of the most complete teams in the NFL with a defense that has played almost as well as their high-powered offense.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are trying to put an end to their inconsistency and build some momentum after an impressive performance.

Indianapolis looks to extend its longest winning streak in nearly five years when it visits Pittsburgh on Sunday.

The Colts (5-2) are the first team this season to record two games of 500-plus yards, racking up 506 in Sunday's 27-0 victory over Cincinnati. Their five-game win streak is their longest since winning an NFL-record 23 straight in the regular season Nov. 2, 2008-Dec. 17, 2009.

Andrew Luck was 27 of 42 for 344 yards and two touchdowns to lead the league's top offense against the Bengals. Luck's 2,331 passing yards are the most in the NFL and his 19 TDs have him tied with Peyton Manning for the most.

Luck has also thrown for 300-plus yards in five consecutive games, tying Manning for the longest streak in club history.

Indianapolis' ground game provided some balance with a season-best 171 yards last week. The Colts have rushed for 134.8 yards per game since Week 2 - fifth best in the league.

The defense was perhaps even more impressive in the club's first shutout since 2008, however.

"You don't feel like you have to do too much when you're playing with a defense like that," Luck said. "They do and have done a heck of a job all year."

The Colts have surrendered 17 or fewer points four times in five games, allowing a league-low 271.8 yards per contest in that span. Indianapolis, which gave up 357.1 yards last season to rank 20th, limited Cincinnati to 135 yards - the lowest total in the NFL in 2014.

The Colts have 20 sacks during their winning streak and are limiting opponents to a league-best 26.0 percent on third-down conversions for the season. They're the only team to rank among the top five in total offense and defense.

"The whole defense is feeding off of each other right now," coach Chuck Pagano said. "The energy that they're playing with, the effort that they're playing with right now. Anytime you have success like they're having, the confidence level is at an all-time high."

The Steelers (4-3) are also feeling good about themselves following a 30-23 win over Houston last week that was spurred by an explosive second quarter. Pittsburgh trailed 13-0 midway through the period before three touchdowns and a field goal in a 2:54 span put it ahead 24-13 at halftime.

Ben Roethlisberger went 23 of 33 for 265 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions while Le'Veon Bell had 145 yards of offense for Pittsburgh, which bounced back from a 31-10 rout at Cleveland the previous week.

The Steelers have alternated wins and losses all season and are seeking some stability as they continues a three-game homestand.

"We don't want to be satisfied with the way we played," said Bell, who ranks second in the league with 134.0 yards per game from scrimmage. "It was good but there are definitely things we can do better."

The Steelers forced turnovers on back-to-back plays in the second quarter Sunday and recovered another fumble in the fourth. It was an uncharacteristic showing for a team that came in near the bottom of the league with six takeaways.

Pittsburgh's 64 takeaways since the start of 2011 are the fewest in the NFL in that span.

"It's not anything mystical," coach Mike Tomlin said. "I think when we are doing what it is that we are supposed to do and playing with energy, it happens."

Pittsburgh could be poised to expose one of the Colts' few vulnerabilities, as Indianapolis' 13 turnovers are tied for fourth most in the league.

These clubs boast the No. 1 and No. 3 receivers in the NFL, with the Steelers' Antonio Brown piling up 719 receiving yards and the Colts' T.Y. Hilton at 711.

Hilton is fifth in the NFL with 68 targets, and Luck may have to look his way even more often with Reggie Wayne ruled out after suffering a left elbow injury against Cincinnati.

Pittsburgh won the last meeting 23-20 at Indianapolis on Sept. 25, 2011. Roethlisberger was 25 of 37 for 364 yards with a touchdown and an interception.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

Trent Richardson (hamstring) is active for Week 8 against the Steelers.

It's a surprise after T-Rich failed to practice all week, and media reports suggested he'd sit. Ahmad Bradshaw is listed as the Colts' starter, however. We'd very much expect Richardson to be on a snap count, and for Dan "Boom" Herron to be involved in the offense. T-Rich can't be trusted as an RB3.
Inactive for the Colts are CB Jalil Brown, OG Lance Louis, C Khaled Holmes, OT Jamon Meredith, DT Kelcy Quarles, WR Reggie Wayne and DT Montori Hughes. Hakeem Nicks, and not Donte Moncrief, is getting the "start" in place of Wayne.

Steelers declared WR Justin Brown inactive for Sunday's Week 8 game against the Colts.

Martavis Bryant is expected to rotate with Markus Wheaton opposite Antonio Brown. CB Ike Taylor (arm) also remains sidelined.
The rest of the Steelers inactives: QB Landy Jones, SS Shamarko Thomas, CB BW Webb, T Marcus Gilbert and NT Steve McLendon.

Dwayne Allen is a TD machine.

What a performance by Big Ben... 40-49, 522 yards, 6 TDs. My God.

First QB to have TWO 500 yard games? I'll take that too.

I'm gonna file this under "Did that really happen?"

Bow down to Big Ben. He allegedly raped the Colts defense today.

• Upvote 2

Bow down to Big Ben. He allegedly raped the Colts defense today.

:laugh:

That was quite a day he had for sure.

Antonio Brown is absolutely the real deal at this point. Guy is just flat out amazing.

:yep: He makes the plays count for sure.

Antonio Brown is absolutely the real deal at this point. Guy is just flat out amazing.

Maybe it's just me, but over the past season and a half I feel he's been a top-5 receiver. He could even eclipse last season as spectacular as it was.

Maybe it's just me, but over the past season and a half I feel he's been a top-5 receiver. He could even eclipse last season as spectacular as it was.

He's on pace to eclipse it I'm pretty sure.

Just seems like no matter who is covering him, he is always open. When he's not open, he makes circus catches. He's a lot like Mike Wallace, except with a shit ton more talent. Unbelievable what the guy can do.

He's on pace to eclipse it I'm pretty sure.

Just seems like no matter who is covering him, he is always open. When he's not open, he makes circus catches. He's a lot like Mike Wallace, except with a shit ton more talent. Unbelievable what the guy can do.

That he is barring an unforeseen significant drop-off, he's had such an outstanding year thus far it will be interesting to see if he can keep up those gaudy numbers.

He does the work to get open if he isn't initially, makes so many incredible catches that it's almost routine for him to have at least one of those per game. He's just that good.

I knew before they said anything that Ben was about to be the 1st QB with multiple 500 yard games and nearly pissed myself with joy. I'm generally quiet if I'm watching the game in public, but when Blount caught the pass that put him over 500, an involuntary "FUCK YES" escaped from my mouth.

• Upvote 2