Zack_of_Steel

Music Discussion Thread

We don't really have one of these, as people just post songs in the other one. :shrug:

I'll start things off. What's everyone's favorite genre? Post some songs and shit.

I love punk. It first started in 1998 when my brother got the Offspring's Americana. Not until about 2004 was where I started really knowing music. I just love the speed and aggression.

New Wave, Blues-Rock, Alternative, most Metal, Hard Rock, Psychedelic is what I'll be listening to.

So happy I expanded and opened my mind to try new music.

Guest Phailadelphia

If you're into hip-hop and you haven't listened to RTJ2 yet, you're fucking up big time.

Indie Rock is my favorite genre. I almost never listen to metal anymore.

You've all probably heard me mention Modest Mouse at some point, as they're my favorite band. The biggest draw, for me, is Isaac Brock's lyrical acumen, though their instrumentation is varied, unique, and phenomenal. Many of their songs end in a lengthy, delicious jam session.

Their songs are often profound in nature and steeped in metaphors on topics ranging from religion, the working class, drugs, driving, etc.

One of my favorite MM songs, lyrically: Styrofoam Boots/It's All Nice on Ice, Alright

Talks about Heaven being a lie/joke and creates imagery of the mafia making someone drown upside down with styrofoam boots rather than cement. The second half of the song is a long jam entitled "It's All Nice on Ice (Alright)", providing a double meaning (how the boots would be welcome on ice/drugs are awesome):

Lyrics

Well all's not well, but I'm told that it'll all be quite nice

You'll be drowned in boots like mafia, but your feet will still float like Christ's

Well I'll be damned

They were right

I'm drowning upside down

My feet afloat like Christ's

I'm in heaven trying to figure out which stack they're going to stuff us atheists into

When Peter and his monkey laugh and I laugh with them

I'm not sure what at

They point and say

We'll keep you in the back

Polishing halos

Baking manna and gas

Well some guy comes in looking a bit like everyone I ever seen

He moves just like Crisco disco, breath a hundred percent Listerine

He says looking at something else, but directing everything to me

"Every time anyone gets on their knees to pray, well it makes my telephone ring"

And I'll be damned

He said "you were right

No one's running this whole thing"

He had a theory too

He said that "God takes care of himself

God takes care of himself and you of you"

It's all nice on ice alright

And it's not day

And it's not night

But it's all nice on ice alright

As someone that never dances, I find music that makes me want to dance to be incredible. Much of MM's discography does that.

Doin' the Cockroach is a song about a fictional "dance" called "The Cockroach" that the human race is all doing. It's an existential song about how nothing changes and we're all continuing on, heading toward the same (dead) end. We're all as cockroaches; doctors, lawyers, cash fiends, they're all the same. Someday you'll look in the mirror and say, "my parents are still alive", realizing that you've become them. Dark, yet it makes me want to dance.

Lyrics (another gem, imo)

I was in heaven

I was in hell

Believe in neither

But fear them as well

This one's a doctor

This one's a lawyer

This one's a cash fiend

Taking your money

Back of the metro

Ride on the greyhound

Drunk on the Amtrak

Please shut up

Another rider

He was a talker

Talking about TV

Please shut up

This one's a crazer

Daydreaming disaster

The origin of junk food

Rutting through garbage

Tasty but worthless

Dogs eat their own shit

We're doing the cockroach, yeah

Doin' the cockroach, yeah

Doin' the cockroach, yeah (alright, not bad)

One year

Twenty years

Forty years

Fifty years

Down the road in your life

You'll look in the mirror

And say, "My parents are still alive."

You move your mouth

You shake your tongue

You vibrate my eardrums

You're saying words

But you know I ain't listening

You're walking down the street

Your face

Your lips

Your hips

Your eyes

They meet

You're not hungry though

Well late last winter

Down below the equator

They had a summer that would make you blister

Oh my mind is all made up

So I'll have to sleep in it

I maintain that Jeremiah Green is one of, if not the, best drummers in the genre. His drumming is rolling and propelling and it coincides perfectly with Eric Judy's bass.

Here's an early, early song of theirs (possibly high school era), Every Penny Fed Car. The first 2/3 of the song is just a long, awesome Jeremiah Green drum groove.

Another amazing contribution by Green on Teeth Like God's Shoeshine

Johnny Marr, legendary guitarist of The Smiths, joined Modest Mouse for their most recent album in 2007. You've probably heard Dashboard before, but it has some understated, yet awesome guitar work by Johnny that synergizes perfectly with Isaac's.

I could go on forever on Modest Mouse, but if you liked any of that, here are some other songs to check out:

Drammamine

Heart Cooks Brain

Cowboy Dan

Bukowski

Bury Me with It

Broke

I Came as a Rat

A Different City

The Stars Are Projectors

All Night Diner

Lounge

Sunspots in the House of the Late Scapegoat

I always find myself turning back to prog metal or prog rock. Listening to Fair to Midland, Haken, Rush, Dream Theater, it just gets you in a great mood, where everything feels vivid and right. Even if the music is dark, negative or just fucked up, you still feel pretty awesome.

• Upvote 1

So everyone knows that my favorite band of all-time is The Mountain Goats. So basically there are six Goats albums that you have to listen to or I hate you. These are my favorites from all six:

"Color in Your Cheeks" from All Hail West Texas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3_7mXVRL0M

"No Children" from Tallahassee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVS5rpPW5Pg

"Dance Music" from The Sunset Tree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEUvA9gnVcc

"Genesis 3:23" from The Life of the World to Come

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2se_8rxdmWU

"For Charles Bronson" from All Eternals Deck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wED7a9AJoUk

"Harlem Roulette" from Transcendental Youth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzv7oiKqOvU

Edited by Tridentdawgpound

I grew up listening to my parents' music a lot, so I'm a big classic rock guy. Zeppelin is my favorite, but I'll listen to pretty much anything from that era. I'm not nearly as big a fan of the 80's; my favorite bands from that era were the heavier ones that emerged, like Metallica and eventually Guns N' Roses. I also like some of the more progressive bands from this era that don't get enough recognition, like Yes and Genesis. Which leads me to...

As for more modern taste, I'm a big progressive rock fan. Tool and Dream Theater are two of my favorites. I got into music in high school (meaning the actual musicality of everything--time signatures, tempo, etc.), and it helps me appreciate the complexity of their music. I especially love the concept albums and the epic songs that go for 15+ mins.

Going more mainstream, I would agree that most "rock" nowadays is mediocre. There are a few radio bands I enjoy, but the kings of modern hard rock are, without a doubt, Alter Bridge. They've put out four albums in a row of nothing but great songs, and their most recent may be some of their most kick-ass yet.

Guest Phailadelphia

Throw on some high quality headphones and listen to this. One of my favorite bands.

• Upvote 1

I listen to a lot of rap music, depending on the mood I'm in, or what I'm doing, the music changes. There aren't too many artists out there that I haven't heard, from mainstream, to super underground, or at least that I wouldn't be willing to listen to.

Lupe Fiasco is easily my favorite artist of all time. I've listened to everything he's ever put out and I LOVE his work. Fiasco aside, there's Kane West, and then there's everyone else.

I'm also big on the electronic experimental movements. Especially with rap, but music in general, I want more artist to come out with work like Yeezus, and Because of the Internet. From that stems my love for trap music.

Quad City DJs mashed up with just about anything ends up being pretty great.

Good idea for a thread Zack, discussing music is always fun and interesting. :yep:

Into a lot of different stuff as a result of learning how to find music I like and venturing into many different musical directions about 5-6 years ago. And I'm very thankful that I did open up more and expand my horizons otherwise I wouldn't possess the vast knowledge I do today.

I've always been a huge metal fan and enjoyed most sub-genres very much from its humble beginnings in the 70s with Black Sabbath, Sir Lord Baltimore and the like to this decade and last in Sweden's Wolf, Brazil's Hibria, and the US's Briton Rites to name a few of my favorites. Overall I'd say that Doom Metal, Heavy Metal (Traditional Heavy Metal or Traditional Metal if you call it that), and Power Metal comprise my favorite metal sub-genres with Heavy being my favorite closely followed by Doom, then Power. Do like Death and Thrash a lot too, so those would round out my favorite metal sub-genres nicely. There are many bands I like in those 5 sub-genres, so I won't have a giant post listing them, but I'll go through some metal bands I really in general. Favorite metal band overall would easily be Mercyful Fate, King Diamond 2nd, then probably Sabbath in a very close 3rd, and finally Wolf and Hibria rounding out my top-5 favorites. There are so many new awesome discoveries I make every so often since there are so many bands out there no matter what genre. Could be a band that's been around for a while or a new one, but when I find something I really like that I haven't heard before it makes the end result of digging around that much more worth it to me.

Next I'll talk about another one of my favorites genres, which is one of the offshoots of Alt-Rock being Shoegaze. Just love the wall of sound and have enjoyed just about every album I've heard in the genre. MBV, Ride, and Slowdive would be my favorites overall, though there have been many great Shoegaze bands from the 90s like Blind Mr. Jones for example and 00s as well as the ones I've heard from this decade.

I do like punk a lot like my brother, specifically Hardcore and Crossover Thrash most. And I am a big fan of Blues-Rock too, so maybe I'll post some songs later but I think this is good for now. Hope some of you guys check out the links and find something you like. :)

• Upvote 1

Elvis Costello & the Attractions This Year's Model is a must for any music fan. Check out some songs. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL56D6F502B446A2A7

"Hand in Hand, "You Belong to Me", "Radio, Radio", "Pump it Up"

Just an outstanding album overall.

Thanks to Phail, I stumbled upon this duo from Chicago called The Hood Internet. They take hip hop and indie rock and mash it together. The result is pretty fucking awesome. I could listen to Kanye like this:

MJ:

Here's the amazing Purity Ring one:

EDIT:

Oh holy shit. A must listen:

The Hood Internet - It Was a Rainy Day (Ice Cube x CFCF)

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Upvote 1

Now listening to a ton on New Wave. :cool:

Those synths Zack :ooo:

Indeed.

Oh, and Run the Jewels 2 was just released.

[–]dannyzaid 393 points 8 days ago

When RTJ2 was leaked last night on /mu/ someone posted a download link to All Star by Smash Mouth but said it was Blockbuster Night Pt. 2. I listened to the whole thing waiting for Killer Mike to come in and do a verse because I thought the lead singer of the song was El-P doing some weird rock shit.

I was like fuck did I just listen to a whole fuckin song from Shrek thinking it was Run The Jewels? I think I was on a high from all the previous bangers or some shit.

:rofl:

Guest Phailadelphia

RTJ2 IS SO FUCKING DOPE GUYS

• Upvote 1

Some poster on Steeler Nation posted this cover of St. James Infirmary Blues.

I was expecting some shitty hair metal cover, as is the trend on that board of old fuckers, but this was amazing. Features a female vocalist and the arrangement/instrumentation is superb, imo.

Hey all, long time, no posting, I know. While my other band, Hucklebuck took a break this year, I put together another one that has been recording some stuff in my basement. This is a single take we recorded a little while back. Have a listen. Or not. No biggie.

https://soundcloud.com/josh-stella/st-james-infirmary

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Anyone got any new rock/metal bands that have come out in the past few years that they'd recommend? I'd like to find a new band, as pretty much all I've been listening to lately is a ton of instrumentals/bands I usually listen to/whatever Pandora plays.

Anyone got any new rock/metal bands that have come out in the past few years that they'd recommend? I'd like to find a new band, as pretty much all I've been listening to lately is a ton of instrumentals/bands I usually listen to/whatever Pandora plays.

New bands? Nah. Nobody makes good rock/metal anymore. Metal got commercialized and pussified by the jackass "hardcore" cunts. Rock's been dead since the 90's.

You've seen me mention Cage the Elephant multiple times lately. They're more indie rock, though they pride themselves on being extremely diverse. I know you said you've listened to some singles, but maybe try some of their full albums? Their first album is all very similar stylistically, but their second and third hit a wide range of genres. :yep:

Deftones is one of my girlfriend and I's favorite bands. They've been around forever, though. You've almost assuredly heard of them/some of their songs. Maybe you'd like their discography if you haven't listened to it already.

Deftones is solid, though I don't know if I've heard anything off of their most recent album (or if I have, I just don't remember.)

Maybe I'll have to check out Cage The Elephant.

Deftones are super underrated.

Vin just keep listening to Hurt and hoping that they put out a new album. That's what I do. :p

For what it's worth I think Gemini Syndrome is a pretty decent band. Check them out if you haven't yet.

Given Haken a try if you haven't already. The lyrics are a trip and the music is pretty great. The Mountain is their best album by far, but they have some gems in their earlier records. Also check out Fair to Midland. >_>

• Upvote 1