Zack_of_Steel

Music Discussion Thread

On the third song of the new Purity Ring album. Really underwhelming/disappointing so far.

Cover looks cool, though:

Another Eternity

91auXinrmCL._SL1500_.jpg

Also, after 8 years of waiting, Modest Mouse is finally releasing a new album on the 17th with a second, companion album due out "as soon as it's legally allowed to be released".

I have been listening to the leak on repeat for a few days and I really love the album. I was so afraid that after 8 years it'd not live up to the hype, but I'm really digging it. It's classic MM in tone and talks a lot about how humans have ravaged the earth, yet the music is varied, experimental, and builds off of the style that encompassed their previous two releases. I will say, however, that the album definitely misses Eric Judy (founding member former bassist).

Cover's cool, too. It's an aerial view of an RV park in Arizona.

Strangers to Ourselves

Strangers_to_Ourselves_cover.jpg

I was going to post one of the non-singles, but none of them are on YouTube yet as the album's not released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBTtPt8-WAY

Oh, and I posted it in the Good News Thread, but I just bought tickets to finally see Modest Mouse on April 24th in OKC. :panic:

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Yes.

With or without Isbell?

With or without Isbell?

Without.

Growing up I use to listen to a lot of metal and punk. not so much now with the metal. Bad Religion and Slayer will always be my favorite bands. So cool to hear how Greg Graffin voice evolved over time also like their songs are up beat even when they deal with dark topics.

• Upvote 1

Rainbow is so freakin good.

Just had a flash to the past

This was the shit when I was like 7.

Without.

While I love The Dirty South, I would tend to agree. Isbell is definitely more a folky artist. His best contributions to DBT were instrumental and not vocal, imo.

Leaving them allowed him to eventually release Southeastern, which may be the only real masterpiece released in the past 4-5 years.

While I love The Dirty South, I would tend to agree. Isbell is definitely more a folky artist. His best contributions to DBT were instrumental and not vocal, imo.

Leaving them allowed him to eventually release Southeastern, which may be the only real masterpiece released in the past 4-5 years.

Please answer honestly. Have you ever heard Bleach? I don't care if you wanna call Nirvana overrated, by all means go ahead. I would do so before though. Doubt you would like the grungy noise rock style but it's worth a shot.

Modest Mouse released the video to their single Lampshades on Fire. It's a song about how mankind is self-destructive and just wants to party and burn everything down. When the lights go out, we light the lampshades on fire. When everything's ruined we move on to the next party.

The video's really dark for MM, but the entire album is probably their darkest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he16ctlqAgU

Zack do you like R.E.M.?

"Stand" is a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M91_IWYzmYA

"Losing my Religion" ,"It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" , "The One I Love", "Orange Crush". Solid, solid band.

Edited by Bay

Please answer honestly. Have you ever heard Bleach? I don't care if you wanna call Nirvana overrated, by all means go ahead. I would do so before though. Doubt you would like the grungy noise rock style but it's worth a shot.

I haven't heard it. I'll have to look into it.

Have you heard Isbell's Southeastern? It's absolutely incredible.

I haven't heard it. I'll have to look into it.

Have you heard Isbell's Southeastern? It's absolutely incredible.

No, but if you know me by now, I listen before mocking.

• Upvote 1

I realized I'd missed the most recent Big & Rich cd, which came out last September, so I got it a couple weeks ago and it is awesome, they've managed to improve with each album

Guest Phailadelphia

Some stuff I've been jamming lately - mostly #chill (downtempo electro) music:

I realized I'd missed the most recent Big & Rich cd, which came out last September, so I got it a couple weeks ago and it is awesome, they've managed to improve with each album

I really liked "Look at You." I'm not sure I've heard their newest single.

So I got bored and sorted my iTunes by most played. This is what I saw,

1oDsX0W.png

This band that nobody's heard of is pretty awesome. I listened to two songs and ordered their CD.

Full album available for free (donation) download or you can purchase their CD for min. $5 CAD: https://fleecemusic.bandcamp.com/

Video is the full album, but start at 29:51 for the last track, which is amazing, imo.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

got the new Billy Currington album on Tuesday and it's the only thing I've listened to since, seriously, it's that good, if you're a fan of Billy Currington get it, the guy's basically an R&B singer and that definitely comes across in this album, but there's a bit more of a jazzy, club-type feel to a lot of the songs

I forgot how good "Waiting Room" by Fugazi was. Song is awesome. Post-Hardcore bands are good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMOAXm94VWo

Is the whole country genre written by Kesha nowadays?

No, that's the cuntry genre.

*jumps off a bridge*

• Upvote 2

Favorite band song/album rankings. Go!

Studio-only Audioslave songs (not that anyone cares but me.) :

40: Light My Way (There's nothing wrong with this song, really. But if I never heard it again, I don't think it would bother me)

39: Dandelion (Same as above. Too airy, as well)

38: Somedays (I should just drop "I don't care for somedays" and be done with it, but that'd be too easy. Revelations brought about political stuff and I don't think it works that well.)

37: Drown Me Slowly (Meh. Nonsensical lyrics. Just...meh. The slow section after the solo is nice, however)

36. Until We Fall (Same as Dandelion. Too light and airy. Could've been great if it kept the same tone as the first minute or so)

35. Shape of Things To Come (Again, there's nothing really wrong with it. I've just never really felt this song. I think the chorus throws it off some.)

34. Original Fire (Here's the line of demarcation. Everything from here on is a good song that is going to get topped by a better song.)

33. Sound of a Gun (Good once it gets going, but takes too long to get there.)

32. Heaven's Dead (Inoffensive)

31. Be Yourself

30. Your Time Has Come

29. Out of Exile

28. Exploder ( http://www.uploadmusic.org/MUSIC/5185891442793463.mp3 )

27. Show Me How To Live (I think this is the first Audioslave song I ever heard. Fell in love with them between this and Like a Stone)

26. Wide Awake (More meh political stuff, but this song has probably the best combo of Morello/Commerford/Wilk out of all the songs

25. Jewel of the Summertime (Fun song. Fun solo. Chorus is crazy repetitive.)

24. Cochise (One of the few Audioslave songs that I don't really care for Chris's voice. Nice song, otherwise.)

23. Set It Off (That lead-up to the first vocal part doe)

22. Gasoline (All of these self-titled songs are hanging around each other...)

21. The Worm

20. Hypnotize

19. We Got The Whip (Tad repetitive, otherwise it'd be higher)

18. The Last Remaining Light

17. Broken City (All about dat bass)

16. Nothing Left To Say But Goodbye (I absolutely love the chorus on this. Probably needs to be ranked higher)

15. The Curse (Such a big-sounding song.)

14. Man or Animal (High energy song. Really fun solo, especially the first part of it.)

13. Give (This song is pretty much an alternate version of Hypnotize. It's also a better song)

12. Revelations

11. Yesterday To Tomorrow (Really underrated song. 2:20-3:40 is nearly perfect)

10. One and the Same (Dat wah and dat chorus, both vocally and what Morello does)

9. Shadow on the Sun (Slot machine solo FTW)

8. Moth ("I was a king, I was a moth, with pleated wings made of cloth, When did the flame burn so high and get so hot?"

7. #1 Zero ('cause baby if I need to, lord, I will keep you in the corner of my eye")

6. Geteway Car

5.. Bring 'Em Back Alive (Morello's solo is a bit silly, but everything else is on point. "Just like heathens thinking on our feet, we'll believe in god. We're one step, two steps, three steps toward the graveyard. Out on the high-road to remembering, it seems that we forgot...)

4. What You Are ("Then, a vision came to me, when you came along. I gave you everything. But then you wanted more...)

3. Doesn't Remind Me (Reminds me of a good song. :ooo: )

2. Like a Stone (This song made me love Audioslave. So much better than 98% of what was on the radio in the early mid '00s.)

1. I am the Highway ("Friend and liars don't wait for me, 'cause I'll get on all by myself" Crazy good solo, as well)

• Upvote 2

Vin ranking every Audioslave song. :notbad:

Maybe I'll do that with Zeppelin...