BLUE

Panthers @ Eagles

By TAYLOR BECHTOLD

STATS Writer

(AP) -- The Philadelphia Eagles regained first place in the NFC East with their latest victory, but they're hoping what they lost doesn't catch up to them in the weeks ahead.

Without their starting quarterback and defensive captain, the Eagles will try to extend their longest regular-season home winning streak in 21 years Monday night against the fading Carolina Panthers.

Philadelphia (6-2) moved ahead of Dallas (6-3) in the division race with a 31-21 victory at Houston on Sunday coupled with the Cowboys' 28-17 home loss to Arizona.

The Eagles turned to former New York Jet castoff Mark Sanchez under center after starter Nick Foles suffered a broken clavicle in the first half. Foles reportedly does not need surgery and may be able to return in six weeks.

Sanchez completed a 52-yard pass to Jeremy Maclin on his first play in nearly two years and finished 15 of 22 for 202 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions.

"He's already ready, he's always focused and always prepared to make plays and that's part of his makeup," coach Chip Kelly said. "That's what we really liked about him."

There had been rumblings about a change even before the injury. After finishing with 27 touchdowns and two interceptions while the Eagles won the East in 2013, Foles has thrown for seven scores with eight picks in his past five games.

Now Sanchez will make his first start since Dec. 30, 2012, after missing last season because of a torn labrum in his right shoulder. Including the postseason, Sanchez owns a 37-31 career record as a starter with 77 scores and 72 picks.

"He plays at a high level," said Maclin, who has 18 catches for 345 yards and four touchdowns in his last two games. "I think he is one of the more game-ready backup quarterbacks in this league."

Although they lost to visiting New Orleans in the playoffs last season, the Eagles have won eight straight regular-season home games - their longest run since an 11-game streak from 1991-93.

They'll also have to play without middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans for the rest of the season after he tore his right Achilles tendon on Sunday. Casey Matthews is expected to replace Ryans, who has a team-high 45 tackles.

Right guard Todd Herremans is also reportedly out for the season and will have surgery to repair a torn biceps. All-Pro left guard Evan Mathis, though, has been activated off short-term IR and will play for the first time since injuring his knee in Week 1.

The Eagles, fourth in both points (29.3) and total yards (409.3) per game, hope to maintain that production against a Carolina defense that has hardly resembled the unit that keyed a 12-4 finish last season.

The Panthers have allowed 30.7 points per game since Week 3 - 31st in the league - while going 1-5-1. They've been particularly vulnerable against the run, allowing 134.8 per game in their last four.

That doesn't bode well heading into a matchup with LeSean McCoy, who has picked it up with 349 yards on 5.3 per carry over his last three games following a slow start.

Making matters worse, Carolina's Greg Hardy is appealing his July 15 conviction on charges of assault on a female and communicating threats, and that trial has been moved to 2015. The defensive end has been placed on the exempt-commissioner's permission list and cannot play until the matter is resolved.

Coach Ron Rivera, however, isn't about to give up on the Panthers (3-5-1) after his squad fell out of first place in the NFC South with a 28-10 home loss to 4-4 New Orleans on Oct. 30.

"I've been in a race like this before, we all have," he said. "It ends up being the team that comes back, that gets up and keeps fighting. The next thing you know, you're right in the thick of things."

Rivera hopes to have linemen Byron Bell, Amini Silatolu and Trai Turner back after all three sat with injuries against the Saints. A healthy front should help Cam Newton get the ball to playmakers Greg Olsen and Kelvin Benjamin, who have accounted for 10 of Carolina's 12 touchdowns through the air.

Newton will try to rebound after completing a career-worst 10 of 28 passes for 151 yards with one interception against the Saints. He's thrown one pick in each of the past five games and hasn't tossed a TD in his last two.

Carolina snapped a three-game losing streak in the series with a 30-22 win at Philadelphia on Nov. 26, 2012. Newton threw for 306 yards and two touchdowns and ran for 52 with a pair of scores.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

This feels like a game in which 70+ points will be scored and 800+ yards will be gained.

I apologize in advance for this shitshow.

:panthers: 13

:Eagles: 31

• Upvote 1

Eagles will be glad to be back home for a game after a few weeks. Panthers aren't playing well right now.

:Eagles:

This will be a stupid game. Eagles roll.

Panthers declared WR Philly Brown, CB Bene Benwikere, RB Chris Ogbonnaya, S Robert Lester, OT David Foucault, OG Trai Turner, and OL Mike Remmers inactive for Week 10 against the Eagles.

Brown was listed as probable with a concussion. Benwikere is still out with an ankle injury. Foucault was destroyed in a spot start at left tackle last week.

Eagles declared QB Nick Foles, S Earl Wolff, S Jaylen Watkins, OL Julian Vandervelde, OL Dennis Kelly, WR Jeff Maehl, and DE Taylor Hart inactive for Week 10 against the Panthers.

Mark Sanchez gets the start in place of Foles (broken collarbone), who may not be back this season. Wolff started last week. Chris Prosinski is active over him.

I apologize in advance for this shitshow.

^^

We really shouldn't complain too much. Yesterday we were treated to SF-NO, MIA-DET, KC-BUF. Of course we wish more games could be like those three. Reality is, that is not happening.

• Upvote 1

This feels like a game in which 70+ points will be scored and 800+ yards will be gained.

I'm an expert.

That was like watching a bird of prey thrashing a moth eaten sofa in search of whatever rodent is crawling under the cushions.

Give Cam 3 more games to work a miracle but if this team falls to 3-8, give him the RG3 treatment and sit him.

Offseason Guide:

1. Fire Ron Rivera and his staff, something that should have been done a long time ago. He proved incapable of being a competent coach almost immediately. Last year was a fluke. An anomaly. It was all the players, not the coaching.

2. Actually look into the OL in FA. The draft can't fix this thing in one year

3. Have Cam file a restraining order against Shula.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1

That was like watching a bird of prey thrashing a moth eaten sofa in search of whatever rodent is crawling under the cushions.

Give Cam 3 more games to work a miracle but if this team falls to 3-8, give him the RG3 treatment and sit him.

Offseason Guide:

1. Fire Ron Rivera and his staff, something that should have been done a long time ago. He proved incapable of being a competent coach almost immediately. Last year was a fluke. An anomaly. It was all the players, not the coaching.

2. Actually look into the OL in FA. The draft can't fix this thing in one year

3. Have Cam file a restraining order against Shula.

Q.F.T.

Fucking idiots.

Where is Chud and does he want another shot at a HC opportunity?

Okay, some thoughts here...

• Hot damn what a win. Anytime you can put up 45 points it's a good night.
  • Darren Sproles. :wub:
  • Mark Sanchez looked pretty good. He had one terrible pass and got away with it because the defender stepped out of bounds. But overall, he's clearly very comfortable in this offense. I was a bit perplexed at how many passing plays Chip called, which brings me to...
  • LeSean McCoy. What is going on? Our offensive line is healthy, and he still has ZERO room to run every time he touches the ball. I'm curious to see PFF's breakdown of his game once they see the All-22.
  • I almost felt bad for Cam Newton at what little help around him he had. I was appalled he was still in the game in the fourth quarter. Is Ron Rivera back on the hot seat?
  • Great game by the Eagles, and next week (@GB) we'll find out if we can hang with the big boys.
Edited by SteVo

Yeah, Green Bay will be a test for sure. Anytime you go up against the best QB in the league it's not going to be easy. The Packers defense isn't great by any stretch, but it's not as bad as Carolina's. Lets see if Sanchez can continue to play well. Unlike Foles last year, there's a lot of tape out there on Sanchez and the Pack know he's coming. He's done a much better job with his footwork than Foles has this year though and honestly he was more accurate. If Sanchez goes into Green Bay and plays well I think that's probably the final nail in Foles coffin as a starter in the NFL. Just goes to show you how good Chip is.

As for Stevo's point I'm surprised at the lack of commitment to the run. In the past Chip has stuck with it even when it's not working. I think the running game isn't going for McCoy we need to figure out ways to get him into space in the passing game because he's too big a play maker to not use.

And this is my first look at Carolina this year really. I watched the OT period of the Bengals game, but man that offensive line is one of the worst I've ever seen at this level. I agree with BWare, if this keeps up and the Panthers are eliminated from the postseason they need to shut Cam down because the guy is going to get seriously hurt if he keeps taking this kind of punishment. He's been hurt all year. Defensively they have good LB's, but no pass rush and a bad secondary. This team is done for.

As for Stevo's point I'm surprised at the lack of commitment to the run. In the past Chip has stuck with it even when it's not working. I think the running game isn't going for McCoy we need to figure out ways to get him into space in the passing game because he's too big a play maker to not use.

Agree 100% with this. Let Polk run between the tackles and throw more screens to Shady.

As for the Panthers, at 3-6-1, they're not far behind the Saints (4-5), so they are still very much in contention for the NFC South. The Saints beat them earlier in the year, for the record, but we still have 7 weeks of football.

I mean, record wise, sure we're still alive.

Do you honestly see any chance that we could actually take the South, let alone put up a competitive game in January if we somehow did?

Panthers are done, as Sean said. They may very well be the worst team in the league at the moment.