Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

How Great Is Aaron Rodgers?

Is it too early to start throwing him into GOAT conversations? I'm as big a fan and supporter of Joe Montana as you'll ever find. One of the most clutch athletes of all time in any sport and was probably the most efficient QB ever to play the game and he did it in the 1980's. The 4 rings speak for themselves.

I never actually saw Montana play, so it's hard for me to have a full opinion on this, but Aaron Rodgers is the best QB that I've personally seen play the game. A lot of the all time greats have had the benefit of playing behind a good offensive line, having a running game and some deadly weapons or some combination of two of those three in most cases and while Rodgers has certainly almost always had good players to throw the ball to, he's never had a consistent run game. Up until this year, Rodgers' offensive line has been just flat out bad at times and we're seeing the results. a 10-1 TD/INT ratio, 8.6 yards per attempt. He's put up over 2900 yards and 30 TD's through 12 games with only 342 attempts. To put that into perspective, Big Ben and Brady have thrown about 50 more times than Rodgers, Manning, exactly 100 more than Rodgers and Luck 122 (JD).

Even with a bad offensive line in the past though Aaron Rodgers is consistently near the top of the list in 3rd down and red zone efficiency and anyone who knows football knows that that's where a QB shows what he's made of. With some QB's there's a drop off in stats in the playoffs because they're going up against the best teams, but with Rodgers there is none and the stats back that argument up. He already has a ring too.

Forget about the stats though because stats never tell the whole story. Just watch the guy play the game. He's accurate throwing the ball to any part of the field, short, deep, intermediate, you name it. He can throw on the run with accuracy and speaking of throwing on the run and mobility the guy can get away from defenders and just down right hurt you with his legs if you sleep on him. He's not Kaepernick or Newton, but he can and will extend drives with his legs if it's there for him. He's also every bit as cerebral and just as much of a leader as Pey Pey or Brady.

In short, I don't think the NFL has seen anything like Aaron Rodgers and idk if it every will. At least not for a long time. I think it's utterly laughable for anyone to suggest that there's a better QB in the game right now, honestly and I think he already has a legitimate claim as the GOAT. If he can have 4-6 more seasons of this kind of production I don't think it'll be even debatable, especially not if he adds a ring or two, which I think he will. What do you guys think?

Russell Wilson is... ok, we're probably gonna need to wait for Rodgers retirement, or for the age wall to hit before we can say anything like that. He reminds me a lot of prime Steve Young, admittedly I only watched a few games of prime Young but my point stands, >_>

In any case, he's dominating the stat sheet, he has his ring, and he's in the QB prime right now (27-32 or so). He also didn't have bad rookie year stats to diminish his numbers, unlike guys like Peyton or Aikman. What brought on the Rodgers slobberfest?

One of the best ever when it comes to throwing on the run. He seems more accurate when he is on the move.

Russell Wilson is... ok, we're probably gonna need to wait for Rodgers retirement, or for the age wall to hit before we can say anything like that. He reminds me a lot of prime Steve Young, admittedly I only watched a few games of prime Young but my point stands, >_>

In any case, he's dominating the stat sheet, he has his ring, and he's in the QB prime right now (27-32 or so). He also didn't have bad rookie year stats to diminish his numbers, unlike guys like Peyton or Aikman. What brought on the Rodgers slobberfest?

Partially the Josh Gordon thread, partially last week watching him just destroy the Eagles first hand. I don't think bad rookie year numbers diminish anyone in talks of being the GOAT. Manning's shitty rookie numbers are kind of meaningless. The reason he can't be the GOAT is because of all the one and done's in the playoffs. If he played at the level he does in the regular season in January he'd have a lot of rings and would be pretty maybe the best football player of all time tbh.

I'm just not sure that anyone has played the quarterback position at the level Rodgers has the last few years.

I absolutely love Aaron but it's too early to be throwing him in the GOAT conversation.

His postseason TD:INT ratio and QB Rating are great, but he only has one ring and is one loss away from being .500 in the postseason. Considering how highly you judge the GOAT by postseason success, we'll have to wait and see if Rodgers can get himself another ring or two.

For the record, I think he's the best QB in the league and will definitely be ranked in the Top 10. How high will he climb? Necrobump this thread in about 5 years.

I've said it before, Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL today....easily for me. As far as GOAT talk as Mav said it's a little early to put him up with the Brady's and the Manning's who have been doing it for almost 15 years when Rodgers has been playing about half that time. I think when all is said and done though he will probably be in my Top 3 of All-Time, especially for quarterbacks I've seen.

It's hard for me to judge guys like Montana and Unitas who I didn't get to see play and even guys like Marino and Young who I only caught so much of their careers that I feel kind of unfair ranking like that.

Question to Ricky, have you ever seen Manning or Brady play better than Aaron Rodgers where he is in his prime since you can't move him past them yet?

I absolutely love Aaron but it's too early to be throwing him in the GOAT conversation.

His postseason TD:INT ratio and QB Rating are great, but he only has one ring and is one loss away from being .500 in the postseason. Considering how highly you judge the GOAT by postseason success, we'll have to wait and see if Rodgers can get himself another ring or two.

For the record, I think he's the best QB in the league and will definitely be ranked in the Top 10. How high will he climb? Necrobump this thread in about 5 years.

The wins/losses thing is pretty easy to forgive for me because He plays great even in defeat most of the time. Manning on the other hand...yeah not so much lol. Plus he does already still have a ring, so he's proven that he can win on the biggest stages. One thing I could see being a slight is if he can't end up beating San Fran, but not much of a slight.

Edited by seanbrock

He was tentatively at 2 in my rankings after 2012, because I assumed that he'd continue being great and he has. I think his team's got to start being a postseason force to bump him above Montana, though. I think he should win at least one more ring, but who knows.

He was tentatively at 2 in my rankings after 2012, because I assumed that he'd continue being great and he has. I think his team's got to start being a postseason force to bump him above Montana, though. I think he should win at least one more ring, but who knows.

To me he has been a force in the post season, but football more than any other sport is a team sport. As long as Rodgers continues to preform well in the playoffs consistently on a statistical and individual basis I don't think he has to win , say 2 more super bowls to surpass Montana. Lets not forget that as great as guys like Montana and Starr were, they were fortunate enough to play with a laundry list of hall of famers and both had innovating hall of fame coaches. Like I said, the one ring proves that he can do it. I think he'll win at least 1 more before it's all said and done though.

I think we need a better sample size, is what I'm saying. He's had 3 one-and-dones, a SB, and a Divisional loss. He's played 9 games and has had awesome statistics, but what if his career ends like Drew Brees's?

Brees has only played in 2 more playoff games and has had amazing stats as well. Very similar, to date. Are we putting Brees ahead of Montana for the same reasons?

• Upvote 1

I think we need a better sample size, is what I'm saying. He's had 3 one-and-dones, a SB, and a Divisional loss. He's played 9 games and has had awesome statistics, but what if his career ends like Drew Brees's?

Brees has only played in 2 more playoff games and has had amazing stats as well. Very similar, to date. Are we putting Brees ahead of Montana for the same reasons?

Brees doesn't take as good of care of the football as Rodgers. I'd rank Brees pretty high on my all time list though as have you. Looks like he's on the downside of his career at this point but who knows? I also slight Brees a little for playing in a dome whether it's fair or not.

Personally.

I think Brady is going to end up as the GOAT before it's all said and done.

However...I have always been a fan of Aaron Rodgers and what he has done. Very efficient, great pocket awareness and overall command of the offense. A true leader, and a QB that can make just about anyone look great. He's suffered some rough injuries, but has STILL put up absolutely incredible/amazing numbers...without a running game for his entire career for the most part.

Aaron Rodgers is special, and if he won just one more title...I think he would be above Brady in my book when it's all said and done.

It's honestly an amazing sight to watch both him and Brady play the game...both. But this is a valid topic. I think he could. Will he? It's a very good possibility, IMO.

I am not really sure where I would rank him honestly. I mean, is he even the best Packers QB ever? Regardless of where anyone does or will eventually place him on the all-time list... As long as you realize how truly exceptional of a player he is and that it really is special to see him throw the football on Sundays, my mind is at peace.

I don't like comparing players to historical greats before their career is over. He's only been in the league 8 years which for a QB is about half of what we'd expect from a GOAT, least in this era.

Like F4E said he probably isn't even the greatest Packers QB ever, yet. Even Peyton Manning, I know he's thought of as a huge choker in the playoffs but how can you say that Aaron Rodgers is that much better than him? Rodgers ain't exactly Joe Montana in the postseason. The only lights out game he ever played was at Atlanta.

I understand the argument that he hasn't been in the league long enough to be in the GOAT conversation, but we're looking at putting Terrell Davis in the HOF and for good reason. At his best, how many have been able to do it better than TD? I don't think anyone is talking about him as the best ever RB, but Rodgers has had more seasons than TD to prove that he's not a flash in the pan.

Has anyone ever answered my one question, who has played the QB position in this league better than the way Rodgers has while he's currently in his prime? Have we ever seen a QB get hit and sacked as much as him and still put a good completion % and a 2:1 TD:INT ratio? How many pocket QB's with Rodgers' efficiency have there been with the mobility of Rodgers? Only one, Steve Young.

Question to Ricky, have you ever seen Manning or Brady play better than Aaron Rodgers where he is in his prime since you can't move him past them yet?

I think a lot is to be said about longevity, which Rodgers doesn't quite have yet. And better? I'm not quite sure but Brady in 07 was an absolute monster (obviously had some great weapons around him too but still).

You mentioned Davis in your last post but I think comparing the longevity isn't really fair because running backs don't last NEARLY as long as quarterbacks.

Aaron Rodgers is 2 very important things to the NFL.

1. By and far the best quarterback we've seen in years. The things he can do are limitless, the throws he can make while on the move are precise and breathtaking. And the bastard knows it. "Five letters. R-E-L-A-X. Relax."

AND, Most Importantly

2. He is proof that no quarterback can carry his team to a Super Bowl, and therefore all of the ESPN analysts should stop SLOBBERING OVER EVERY DECENT QUARTERBACK'S KNOB.

How great is it that Aaron Rodgers' existence continues to prove that football is the ultimate team game? While he keeps slaughtering everybody, Green Bay's undoubted weaknesses in recent years have made them susceptible to the very very shitty Colin Kaepernick lol.

I am not really sure where I would rank him honestly. I mean, is he even the best Packers QB ever? Regardless of where anyone does or will eventually place him on the all-time list... As long as you realize how truly exceptional of a player he is and that it really is special to see him throw the football on Sundays, my mind is at peace.

It would be tough between him and Starr.

It would be tough between him and Starr.

Absolutely.. I think the discussion is tough between Montana and Starr, let alone Aaron. There is no doubt Aaron has some of the best if not the best mechanics, footwork, accuracy, vision, and awareness of any QB in the history of the league. But it takes a lot more than that to be the GOAT, that much is for certain.

Aaron Rodgers is 2 very important things to the NFL.

1. By and far the best quarterback we've seen in years. The things he can do are limitless, the throws he can make while on the move are precise and breathtaking. And the bastard knows it. "Five letters. R-E-L-A-X. Relax."

AND, Most Importantly

2. He is proof that no quarterback can carry his team to a Super Bowl, and therefore all of the ESPN analysts should stop SLOBBERING OVER EVERY DECENT QUARTERBACK'S KNOB.

How great is it that Aaron Rodgers' existence continues to prove that football is the ultimate team game? While he keeps slaughtering everybody, Green Bay's undoubted weaknesses in recent years have made them susceptible to the very very shitty Colin Kaepernick lol.

There's 2 things a team needs to get to a Super Bowl.

An elite QB and an elite defense.

An elite QB makes the offense better. Take every year pre-2013 for example when we had no RB yet we still were outscoring opponents and in one year had the highest scoring offense in history or something. But we got mauled in the playoffs by the faults of the other side of the field, our defense.

But to argue (I don't know if you're saying that an elite QB is not needed or something) you do need a great QB to get to the Super Bowl. Look at the NY Jets. Went to the AFCCG three years in a row? Had a top 5 D every year, good offensive weapons... what were they missing? An elite QB. Mark Sanchez was at the helm.

So unless I misunderstood what you were saying, you do still need an elite QB to succeed in the NFL in my mind. There's a few exceptions obviously, but in most cases that's the way to go.

• Upvote 1