BLUE

Titans @ Texans

By JACK CASSIDY

STATS Writer

(AP) -- The Houston Texans need to be nearly perfect from here on out to have any chance at the playoffs. They'll also need Ryan Fitzpatrick to step up.

If the Texans are to make a last-ditched bid for the postseason, they'll have to succeed through another quarterback change as Fitzpatrick resumes the starting role Sunday against the visiting Tennessee Titans.

Houston (5-6) stands as a longshot in the playoff picture but has a chance to put itself in the mix with four AFC South games remaining. One is against first-place Indianapolis, which is 7-5, but two are against league-worst Jacksonville and this one is at home against a Tennessee team which has lost five in a row.

However, any potential playoff run will be without quarterback Ryan Mallett, who suffered a torn right pectoral muscle in last Sunday's 22-13 loss to Cincinnati and will miss the rest of the season.

Fitzpatrick was benched in favor of Mallett following a Week 9 loss to Philadelphia in which he completed 13 of 27 passes for 203 yards, two touchdowns and one interception. He won his first two starts without getting picked off or being sacked, but he had eight interceptions and was sacked 20 times in his next seven, going 2-5.

"I don't think so," Fitzpatrick said when asked whether it is difficult to move from the bench to the starter position. "I think it's like riding a bike.

"That's what being a quarterback is. That's what kind of my whole career has been."

Fitzpatrick's only win in his past five games came against the Titans, for whom he made nine starts last season. That's also the only time in his last seven games he didn't commit a turnover, going 19 of 35 for 227 yards and a touchdown in a 30-16 road win Oct. 26.

Neither Fitzpatrick nor Mallett had been particularly successful in igniting a Texans passing attack that features receivers Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins. Houston ranks 28th with 207.5 passing yards per game.

The primary source of Houston's offense has been the running game, consisting of Arian Foster and Alfred Blue. Foster, averaging 102.8 rushing yards per game and 5.1 per carry, has missed Houston's last two games with a groin injury but could return Sunday.

"I think there is a potential that he could play," coach Bill O'Brien said. "He feels better today. Hopefully he'll be out there at practice. Hopefully that's something that he'll be able to help us on game day."

Blue has performed admirably in Foster's absence, rushing 52 times over the past two contests for 202 yards. The Texans are averaging an AFC-best 137.3 rushing yards, and they're facing a Titans run defense which has allowed more than 150 in four straight games.

Tennessee (2-9) also is badly struggling to run the ball with 88.8 yards per game. Rookie Bishop Sankey has not surpassed 61 rushing yards in any game despite getting the bulk of the workload in recent weeks, providing little support to Zach Mettenberger.

The rookie quarterback has thrown for seven touchdowns and an average of 271.5 yards in four games since taking over as the starter, but he's lost them all. He completed 20 of 39 passes for 345 yards with two touchdowns and one interception in last Sunday's 43-24 loss to Philadelphia.

"I think I remember Peyton Manning being 3-13 his first year," coach Ken Whisenhunt said. "Not that I'm saying that it's OK not to win games. We need to win a game as a football team, and that would certainly help with Zach, but he's making progress in areas that you like to see from a young quarterback."

Mettenberger's starting debut came against Houston, and he struggled in the first half but would finish 27 of 41 for 299 yards and two TDs.

J.J. Watt sacked him twice and imitated the rookie by taking a mock "selfie." Mettenberger had posted photos of himself to his social media accounts prior to his first start.

"It's just kind of a reminder, this is the National Football League, not high school," Watt said following the Week 8 win. "Welcome to the show."

Tennessee enters the rematch having dropped nine of 10 and mired in its longest losing streak since a six-game skid in 2010.

"It's not a lot of fun," Whisenhunt said. "I enjoy working with these guys. I enjoy being here. The fans have been good with me, but it's not fun.

"I love doing this job, but you still feel sick when you don't do what you're supposed to do."

The Titans have lost four of the last five meetings, including the past two in Houston.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

Fitztragic plays a sad song, and ends the Texans slim playoff hopes. Three INT's and the Titans dominate.

:Titans: 30

:Texans: 12

Fitztragic plays a sad song, and ends the Texans slim playoff hopes. Three INT's and the Titans dominate.

:Titans: 30

:Texans: 12

If Bill O'Brien is as smart as he portrays himself to be, Fitzpatrick shouldn't even attempt three passes. (Slight sarcasm?) Just run the ball. Arian and Blue should be able to take care of business.

Edit: Oh and let's not forget about that J.J. Watt guy. He's pretty good.

Edited by FartWaffles

Yeah I remember the first game of the season where Fitzpatrick only threw it 19 times. More of the same aversion to throwing the football is needed.

I just hope Mettenberger isn't dead at the end of the game. 2 o-linemen out(Lewan, Schwenke), a 3rd a possibility to be out(Oher). Oher and Schwenke kinda suck anyway but losing Lewan sucks.

Titans declared OLB Kamerion Wimbley (hamstring) inactive for Sunday's Week 13 game at Houston.

Wimbley pulled his hammy against the Eagles last week and was ruled out early in the week. The Titans will also be without LT Taylor Lewan, who has what appears to be a high ankle sprain.
The rest of their inactives: QB Charlie Whitehurst, WR Kris Durham, RB Antonio Andrews, DB Michael Huff and DL DaQuan Jones.

Texans declared WR DeVier Posey, QB Thad Lewis, CB Kareem Jackson, LB Akeem Dent, OT Jeff Adams and LB Jadeveon Clowney inactive for Sunday's Week 13 game against the Titans.

I just hope Mettenberger isn't dead at the end of the game. 2 o-linemen out(Lewan, Schwenke), a 3rd a possibility to be out(Oher). Oher and Schwenke kinda suck anyway but losing Lewan sucks.

I'm not complaining, because the Texans are up 24-0, but y'alls o-line has been getting away with some of the worst holding I've ever seen not get called. Watt should have at least another two sacks.

DeAndre is becoming one of my favorite WRs.

Very good hands. Kid makes a 50-50 ball more like 75-25 in his favor. He's not the fastest, but he just gets it done.

Plus he's on the fan team. DeAndreeeeee

funny, he's quickly becoming one of my least favorite :dry:

He's on my fantasy bench this week. :(

J.J. Watt for MVP!

if the Texans manage to grab a WC spot, which is tough but not impossible, he's gotta be a frontrunner, otherwise I'm not a big fan of giving the MVP to someone on a non-playoff team

and is it just me or did Locker just lose any shot he had at catching on as a backup? given his injury history I don't think he had a strong chance at landing a backup role anyway since the best quality for a backup is availability but putting up such a poor showing in relief just compounds matters

and is it just me or did Locker just lose any shot he had at catching on as a backup? given his injury history I don't think he had a strong chance at landing a backup role anyway since the best quality for a backup is availability but putting up such a poor showing in relief just compounds matters

Eh I think someone will give him a chance if just solely based on "draft pedigree" alone. Not saying I agree with it, but for some unknown reason the NFL works that way.

One valuable thing he does have going for him is a substantial amount of starting experience under his belt. Coaches tend to like that in their backup quarterback.