Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Packers @ Bills

By ALAN FERGUSON

STATS Writer

(AP) -- Aaron Rodgers has boosted his MVP credentials while leading Green Bay to five consecutive wins, but the Packers still hold just a slim advantage in the NFC North.

Rodgers will try to keep them in sole possession of first place while delivering the franchise's first road win over the Buffalo Bills on Sunday in his first start at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

The 2011 MVP has 16 touchdown passes and no interceptions in the last five games while throwing for 1,560 yards. He has 35 TDs and three interceptions this season, a ratio of 11.67 that's considerably better than second-place Tom Brady's 4.29.

Rodgers, also leading the league by a wide margin in passer rating at 119.0, has helped Green Bay (10-3) average 40.2 points and 453.6 yards during the five-game win streak. The Packers took the division lead from Detroit during that run, but the Lions have remained one game back by winning their past two contests.

Green Bay lost the first meeting but hosts Detroit to close the regular season. The Packers, tied with Arizona for the NFC's best record, could clinch a playoff spot as early as Sunday with help from other teams.

"This is when it gets exciting. It's right in front of us," Rodgers said. "We have the opportunity to achieve the goals that we talk about every season, and the first and most important is winning your division and getting a home playoff game.

"That's right in front of us. We control our fate right there and we have the opportunity to do some great things. But we have to take care of business."

The Packers earned their latest win Monday over Atlanta, jumping out to a 24-point lead at halftime but giving up 20 in the fourth quarter and holding on for a 43-37 victory.

"We can't play one half or three quarters or anything like that," linebacker Julius Peppers said. "We've got to finish games."

Earning the No. 1 seed in the NFC appears vital to the Packers, who are 7-0 at home but 3-3 on the road while getting outscored by 26 points.

They've never won in five visits to Buffalo (7-6). Green Bay has beaten every other franchise on the road, and the only other current NFL cities where it hasn't won are Indianapolis (four visits) and Nashville (two).

The Packers lost 24-10 in their latest game at Buffalo in 2006 as Rodgers watched Brett Favre from the sidelines. Rodgers threw for two touchdowns in his only game against the Bills, a 34-7 victory in 2010 in the teams' last meeting.

Buffalo has allowed only two TD passes over the last six games but will be without starting safety Da'Norris Searcy, who has a hamstring injury. Duke Williams, who has 41 tackles and an interception, is expected to make his fourth start of the year.

The Bills have won their last two home games but were denied their first three-game overall win streak since 2011 with a 24-17 loss at Denver last Sunday.

Kyle Orton passed for a season-high 355 yards but couldn't get Buffalo into the end zone until the final 11 minutes and had two INTs for the second straight week.

The Bills, all but done in the AFC East race, fell one game behind the wild-card leaders. They're among eight teams in contention for those two spots.

"Our focus is just to win this week, to win against a very good team," Orton said. "Anytime you get out of that focus, you're just hurting yourself. I think we've done a good job all year of staying week to week.

"We'll have to do that this week. We can't waste any time or emotions on what's in the future."

Orton will try to take advantage of a Green Bay defense that gave up a season-high 374 yards through the air Monday, the most it's allowed in 28 games. The Packers might also have a short-handed secondary with cornerback Davon House dealing with a shoulder injury that's kept him out of practice this week.

Eddie Lacy, meanwhile, has a bruised hip that the team is monitoring. He's rushed for 365 yards and 5.3 per carry over the past four weeks with three TDs.

Orton will face Green Bay for the first time since 2011, when he helped Kansas City end the Packers' franchise-record, 19-game win streak which included the Super Bowl. He threw for 299 yards in the 19-14 win - in Week 15 like this game - to spoil Green Bay's 13-0 start.

The Packers are attempting to win six in a row for the first time since that streak.

Coach Mike McCarthy will pass Vince Lombardi for second on the franchise's list if he earns his 99th career victory.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

Kyle Orton is coming to town to put some coal in the Packer's stocking. Because no one ruins christmas like Drunk Santa Orton.

:Packers: 20

:Bills: 22

Bills coming off an impressive defensive performance vs Peyton. I think Rodgers maintains his insane hot streak for 1 more week though. Bills keep it close for the 1st half and then GB piles it on late.

:Packers: 33

:Bills: 20

I could see it going either way. Bills defense is damn good, we aren't at Lambeau, Lacy is banged up a bit....I am eager to see what the defense looks like. We typically struggle with teams that utilize the screen game and their backs in the passing attack, but... it's Kyle Orton. If the defense missteps again here, I will be pretty worried.

Eddie Lacy is active for Week 15 at Buffalo.

Beat writers expect Lacy to share the workload with James Starks, but the Packers were hoping to divvy up the workload even before he suffered a hip bruise. Lacy is a borderline RB1 against a sagging Bills run defense.
The Packers' Week 15 inactives are QB Scott Tolzien, CB Davon House, LB Carl Bradford, C Garth Gerhart, TE Justin Perillo, WR Jeff Janis, and DT Bruce Gaston.

Bills declared TE Chris Gragg, DB Da'Norris Searcy, FB Frank Summers, LB Randell Johnson, OT Cyrus Kouandjio, WR Deonte Thompson, and DL Jarius Wynn inactive for Week 15 against the Packers.

There are no surprises on Buffalo's Week 15 inactives list.

Mike McCarthy is so stupid. The Bills shut down Peyton Manning, they are shutting down Aaron rodgers... 13 / 36 with 2 picks and we keep throwing. Eddie Lacy has 14 carries and almost 100 yards. Why run away from what works? I don't get it. I know you have Aaron Rodgers and he is awesome but, holy cow...

The defense played well enough for us to win. The offense was a massive failure. The Bills defense is great, they've played great QBs great.. But there were so many missed opportunities. 6 dropped passes today, one was a guaranteed TD by Nelson.. Bills wanted the game more, and played like it.

I hope this loss ignites a fire in the Packers that they haven't had for a few weeks now. Good game, Buffalo!

• Upvote 1

WOW. Bills pull off the huge upset. They played a great game. Green Bay did plenty to lose this game as well though. Jordy has to secure that wide open pass that would have been a 90 yard TD.

Awesome. Looks like we'll have 3 12-4 teams in the NFC with us tiebreaking for HFA, unless we choke away week 17 against STL at home. Please beat the Packers, Detroit.

I love this.

Just proves that everybody is very beatable under the right circumstances

Edited by BwareDWare94

WOW. Bills pull off the huge upset. They played a great game. Green Bay did plenty to lose this game as well though. Jordy has to secure that wide open pass that would have been a 90 yard TD.
Awesome. Looks like we'll have 3 12-4 teams in the NFC with us tiebreaking for HFA, unless we choke away week 17 against STL at home. Please beat the Packers, Detroit.

I love that you just assume you'll beat the Niners. Cocky Hawk fans are cocky.

• Upvote 2

That Bills D is insane. With even a decent offense this team could be dangerous in the future.

• Upvote 1

That was such a fun game to be at. And I know its not that impressive to most of you, but this is the first season since I've been following the Bills that we're not going to have a losing record. It means a lot to me and I'm so happy for this team.

I find it important, as it puts you one step closer to breaking that playoff drought. I'm also happy for you guys :)

There is still hope at a playoff berth, just got to keep winning.

What a surprise, an elite defense that can rush 4 beats the Packers once again. This has been a reoccurring theme for the past 4 seasons, if you can drop 7 in coverage and get pressure on Rodgers, you will stall that offense. Even with Lacy running well, McCarthy has to be a dumbass and call 45 pass plays...The chances we did have, we gave away with easy dropped passes, stupid penalties, and errant throws. The defense actually played well considering what the offense and ST were doing. If the Packers can't find a solution to the 2 high safety coverage in 2 weeks, there is no way we are getting to the Super Bowl.

That was such a fun game to be at. And I know its not that impressive to most of you, but this is the first season since I've been following the Bills that we're not going to have a losing record. It means a lot to me and I'm so happy for this team.

How do you feel about the benching of Manuel, at this point? Orton might not make the mistakes, but he doesn't seem to have the ability to make splash plays, either. I know Manuel was bad, at times, but he'd also show flashes of his potential.

The Bills struggle so mightily on offense, and Orton is definitely a big part of it.

And glad to see your team doing well. It's been far too long. I hope they win out and sneak in for a playoff berth.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Can't even be mad about losing after reading posts like this.

How do you feel about the benching of Manuel, at this point? Orton might not make the mistakes, but he doesn't seem to have the ability to make splash plays, either. I know Manuel was bad, at times, but he'd also show flashes of his potential.

The Bills struggle so mightily on offense, and Orton is definitely a big part of it.

And glad to see your team doing well. It's been far too long. I hope they win out and sneak in for a playoff berth.

Orton and Manuel are both bad options but Orton is better. He has 0 mobility, but his deep ball is actually pretty good (definitely better than Manuel). Orton has definitely won us games this year that Manuel wouldn't (Lions and Vikings games come to mind).