Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Redskins @ Giants

By JEFF BARTL

STATS Senior Writer

(AP) -- Eli Manning has been under center for 164 consecutive regular-season games and 11 more in the playoffs while guiding the New York Giants to a pair of Super Bowl titles.

The current NFL iron man has created stability at the quarterback position for New York, something the Washington Redskins surely envy.

Coach Jay Gruden believes Colt McCoy will be recovered from a neck injury in time to start Sunday against the Giants at MetLife Stadium, saying he's "in the lead" above Robert Griffin III and Kirk Cousins.

Washington and Tennessee are the only clubs to have started a trio of quarterbacks, and it may not be surprising that they have combined for five wins. Griffin started the season opener for the Redskins (3-10) before being injured early in Week 2 and giving way to Cousins, who like Griffin has started five times.

McCoy made his first start of the season in place of the struggling Cousins on Oct. 27 and led Washington to a 20-17 overtime win over Dallas before Griffin returned. But after Griffin again failed to regain the form that led him to being named the 2012 offensive rookie of the year, McCoy started the last two, including last week's 24-0 loss to St. Louis.

McCoy was limited in practice Thursday and will need to receive a final medical clearance Friday, something Gruden expects to happen.

"It's pretty positive right now. ... He looked fine today," Gruden said.

Griffin played the final two minutes against the Rams after McCoy left with a sprained neck.

"We've had looks at all three quarterbacks," Gruden said. "And based on what we've seen out at practice for the whole training camp and offseason, and the game situations, right now we feel like Colt is in the lead."

McCoy said he's feeling better and should be ready to go if called upon.

"As long as I'm breathing, as long as I can pick up a football, I'm going to go out there and help my team win," McCoy said. "There's no other way to look at it."

Manning has taken that approach since the Giants (4-9) named him the starter for the final seven games of his rookie season in 2004. He's listed on the injury report for the first time in over two years because of a back injury suffered in last week's 36-7 win over the Titans that ended a seven-game losing streak, but he said it's just a minor issue.

"I want to be there for my teammates. I want to be there for the organization," Manning said. "I know we have a lot of guys who are banged up and hurting, but they are there practicing, they are there playing on Sundays."

Coach Tom Coughlin can't relate to Gruden's situation.

"We've been able to, for a number of years, have a starter that's been in his position no matter what, game in and game out," Coughlin said. "No question, that's a solid, solid plus to be able to do that."

Despite the Redskins' back-and-forth approach with their quarterbacks, they still rank third in the league in passing yards per attempt at 8.08 and 10th with 254.2 per game overall.

"The quarterback situation is a little bit up in the air, but Colt McCoy and Robert Griffin and Kirk Cousins have certainly done an outstanding job for the Redskins," Coughlin said. "They all have outstanding quarterback ratings."

Washington hopes one of its top targets will be able to play this week. DeSean Jackson suffered two shin contusions against Indianapolis two weeks ago and had to sit out against St. Louis. He leads the club with five touchdown receptions and leads the NFL with an average of 20.0 yards per catch.

Gruden said Jackson is "50-50" to play Sunday.

"He needs to air it out and hopefully he will get some more plays in practice," Gruden said.

Although the focus is squarely on the Redskins' offense, Gruden is looking at the big picture. Washington has given up 73 points over the last two games and is allowing 26.6 per game, 25th in the NFL.

"I don't think we are satisfied in any part of our game right now," Gruden said. "We have got to figure out a way to get the better results."

Manning had his best game of the season against Washington on Sept. 25, throwing for 300 yards and a season-best four touchdowns in a 45-14 rout. Cousins started for the Redskins and threw four picks.

Giants receiver Odell Beckham Jr. didn't play in that contest because of a hamstring injury. He caught a season-high 11 passes for 130 yards and a touchdown last week, while fellow rookie Andre Williams had season highs of 24 carries and 131 yards while also scoring.

Coughlin said Rashad Jennings could be in the mix to get more carries against the Redskins, who have lost the last three meetings.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

This is gonna be a garbage game.

:Giants: 40

:Redskins: 20

DeSean Jackson (shin) is officially active for Week 15.

Jackson should be close to 100 percent after practicing throughout the week. He's a WR2/3 against the Giants.
Inactive for Washington are QB Kirk Cousins, RB Roy Helu, WR Leonard Hankerson, S Brandon Meriweather, LB Keenan Robinson, OL Josh Leribeus, and DE Jason Hatcher.

Eli Manning (back) is active for Week 15 against Washington.

Manning was listed on the injury report with a back issue, but practiced in full.
The Giants inactives are OL Eric Herman, CB Jayron Hosley, LB James Davidson, RB Chris Ogbonnaya, LB Jacquian Williams, and OT James Brewer.