butta54

REPORT: NFL Playoffs Could Be Expanded in 2015

The problem is that when you add playoff spots the value of doing well in the regular season goes down, like you said lower seeds have done well, so if you can get in at 8-8 then there's less motivation to get to 10 wins, you'd see teams clinching earlier in the season and you're more likely to have teams locked into playoff spots and resting players week 17

I don't really agree. All of these scenarios are tough to argue because every season is different. But look at what is going on this year in the AFC "on the bubble" teams....you telling me any one of those teams aren't valuing each game they have left in the season? I think the idea that the regular season takes a hit is a little over reactionary. There will be maybe even a tougher fight between those middle of the road teams.

The 5th seed New Orleans Saints at 11-5 had to travel to the 4th seeded 7-9 Seattle Seahawks.

That wasn't this huge deal.

But now the South gets the benefit of this, suddenly its a huge deal?

oochy covered my response.

It was just a suggestion because it's a thread about discussing restructuring the playoffs...it's not a huge deal to me all of a sudden. I don't have some personal vendetta against the NFC South, trust me lmao.

I wouldn't be that upset at two more teams getting in but that's where it should stop IMO if it indeed does expand. Having over half the teams make it in like in the NBA is disgusting.

Agree - half the teams making it now is kinda ample.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Speaking at the Owners' Meetings in Arizona, commissioner Roger Goodell said the league has "postponed" the expanded playoffs idea.
The idea will continue to be evaluated over the next year, but Goodell stressed scheduling issues and the importance of the regular seasons as factors. Also, the NFL sounds ready to change the extra point for the upcoming season. Mostly all owners are in favor of making the PAT more of a "football play." It's tentatively expected to be voted on at the next league meeting in May. Mar 25 - 1:32 PM
  • Upvote 1

Don't fix what isn't broken. Can't wait for this to blow up on teams when they lose games to bullshit PATs.

Don't fix what isn't broken. Can't wait for this to blow up on teams when they lose games to bullshit PATs.

But it is broken. PAT misses are so extremely rare that it's just become more of a formality now instead of something actually worthwhile to the game.

I'd be cool if they just did away with PATs in my opinion and just make a touchdown seven points. Afterward they could give the scoring team the option to go for the conversion and if successful it's an eight point play, BUT if unsuccessful you drop down to six points for the touchdown.

Either way I'm all for making the PAT kick a further distance at the very least. Just ask Chris Boswell if it adds more chaos to the game. Chaos is a good thing for the fans.

What Fart said is fine. Actually removing the PAT and making it all 2 point plays is a terrible idea, IMO.

But it is broken. PAT misses are so extremely rare that it's just become more of a formality now instead of something actually worthwhile to the game.

I'd be cool if they just did away with PATs in my opinion and just make a touchdown seven points. Afterward they could give the scoring team the option to go for the conversion and if successful it's an eight point play, BUT if unsuccessful you drop down to six points for the touchdown.

Either way I'm all for making the PAT kick a further distance at the very least. Just ask Chris Boswell if it adds more chaos to the game. Chaos is a good thing for the fans.

I can agree to an automatic 7, but the idea of changing how scores work in general can be incredibly dangerous to the game. It's much more chaotic when a team is down by 7 and needs a final drive to tie it up, which happens quite a bit, than it is to have a team down by 9 fucked by extra points from long range. In all actuality it won't make the game more chaotic, it'll just make it more messy and tougher to track statistically. It should never be tougher to make an extra point than it should be to make a field goal. That's the reason they call it the extra point.

Changing football is stupid and disrespectful IMO.

• Upvote 2

Win your division or shut up. The playoff format is fine as it is.

This. I actually defended Seattle a little winning the division at 7-9 that season. :yao:

• Upvote 1

If you can win the division at 8-8 or 7-9 you deserve to get in. 12 teams making the playoffs in a 32 team league is pretty much perfect. Easy scheduling, approximately 33% of the teams in the league get a shot at making the big dance.

If they want to make the playoffs ensure that the best 6 teams in each conference get in, I suggest the idea of super divisions. Every year an AFC division plays four of their games against a rival AFC division. We make those super divisions dependent on schedule, and here's what you get for 2014. The top teams in each super division get the top two seeds, while the rest vie for wildcard spots, including division winners.

AFC East + West, AFC North + South, NFC East + West, NFC North + South

AFC

1. New England Patriots (H2H with the Broncos)

2. Pittsburgh Steelers (H2H with the Colts)

3. Denver Broncos (Can't challenge the Steelers for the second seed)

4. Indianapolis Colts

5. Cincinnati Bengals

6. Baltimore Ravens

So no serious changes, the two and three seeds just change places.

NFC

1. Green Bay Packers (I believe they have the tiebreaker on the Cowboys)

2. Dallas Cowboys (H2H with Seattle)

3. Seattle Seahawks

4. Arizona Cardinals (H2H with Detroit)

5. Detroit Lions

6. Philadelphia Eagles

With this, the NFC South has no representatives in their super division.

I was curious about this and wanted to see what it'd be like for 2010 and 2011.

NFC East + North, NFC West + South, AFC East + North, AFC West + South

AFC

1. New England 14-2

2. Indianapolis 10-6 (H2H with the Chiefs)

3. Pittsburgh 12-4 (TB with the Ravens)

4. Baltimore 12-4

5. New York Jets 11-5

6. Kansas City 10-6

NFC

1. Atlanta 13-3

2. Chicago 11-5

3. New Orleans 11-5

4-7 Philadelphia, Green Bay, Tampa Bay, New York Giants

(I have no idea how the tiebreaker would go, but I think I have them in the right order)

No Beast Mode shocking the world if this happened. What a pity.

NFC East + West, NFC North + South, AFC East + West, AFC North + South

AFC

1. New England Patriots 13-3

2. Baltimore Ravens 12-4 (H2H > Steelers)

3. Pittsburgh Steelers 12-4

4. Houston Texans 10-6

5. Cincinnati Bengals 9-7 (H2H > Titans)

6. Tennessee Titans 9-7

In this case we'd only have one representative from the AFC East and West, since the Broncos, Chargers, Raiders and Jets all went 8-8.

NFC

1. Green Bay Packers 15-1

2. San Francisco 49ers 13-3

3. New Orleans Saints 13-3

4. Atlanta Falcons 10-6 (H2H > Lions)

5. Detroit Lions 10-6

6. New York Giants 9-7

All that happens here is the Giants dropping from 4 to 6. Would the Giants be able to beat the Saints, Packers and 49ers on the way to a championship? Who knows?

January 12, 1965. Very snowy that day. 7.2 inches of snow that day.

• Upvote 1