BLUE

Chargers @ Chiefs

By JORDAN GARRETSON

STATS Writer
(AP) -- The San Diego Chargers simplified their road to a playoff berth with an improbable comeback victory.

The Kansas City Chiefs' path to the postseason is much more complex - and unlikely.

San Diego looks to clinch its spot Sunday with a win, while Kansas City needs a victory and lots of help elsewhere.

The Chargers (9-6) are hoping their season ends in similar fashion to 2013 when they clinched a playoff spot with a 27-24 win over the Chiefs in Week 17. They're in position to do the same after overcoming a 21-point halftime deficit - matching the biggest comeback in team history - for a 38-35 overtime win against San Francisco on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Kansas City (8-7) needs a victory and two seemingly unlikely results - a Baltimore loss to Cleveland and a Houston loss against Jacksonville - to reach the postseason in two straight years for the first time since 1994-95.

Making matters even more difficult for the Chiefs is quarterback Alex Smith will not play because of a lacerated spleen. Team trainer Rick Burkholder said Friday that Smith was likely hurt on a hit during the third quarter of last Sunday's 20-12 loss to Pittsburgh, but the injury was not initially obvious.

Chase Daniel will start in his place.

Philip Rivers struggled in the first half Sunday, throwing for 83 yards with two interceptions as he played through injury. However, he was 24 of 40 for 273 yards in the second half and overtime with three TDs, though he did throw another interception.

His final scoring strike was an 11-yarder to Malcom Floyd that tied the game with 29 seconds left in regulation before Nick Novak hit a 40-yard field goal in overtime to help San Diego avoid a third straight loss and keep its playoff hopes alive.

"It says a lot about him," coach Mike McCoy said of Rivers. "A lot of other teams, not just the quarterback, would have folded the way they played the first half. Philip's one of the fiercest competitors and toughest competitors I've ever been around."

Rivers, who owns an 81.4 passer rating over his last seven games after recording a 109.9 mark in his first eight, is reportedly dealing with a bugling disk in his back. He sat out two practices last week and could see a similar maintenance plan, though his playing status has not been in doubt.

"We'll do what's in the best interest of Philip Rivers and our organization," McCoy said. "Philip's as tough as there is in the business. Philip will play on Sunday."

He has posted a 112.1 rating over his last five matchups with Kansas City, throwing for 12 TDs against four interceptions.

The Chargers had won 11 of 13 in the series and four straight prior to a 23-20 home loss to Kansas City on Oct. 19, giving the Chiefs a chance for their first season series sweep since 2003.

Kansas City has dropped four of five, however, defeating only Oakland (3-12) in that span. Last week's loss put their playoff chances on life support.

"We're not even looking at it like that," said wide receiver Dwayne Bowe, who suffered a shoulder injury but is likely to play. "We're just trying to get better at what we do, and if the chips fall like they may that's great."

The Chiefs have operated inefficiently down the stretch. After ranking near the top of the NFL with a 48.0 third-down percentage after 10 games, they've converted only 25.0 percent in the last five. They've also committed seven turnovers in the last four games after having 10 through their first 11.

"We just have to play as a team. Sometimes we find a way to play as a unit, sometimes we don't," said linebacker Tamba Hali, who leads the team with three forced fumbles. "Most of these games we lose, it's not because the other team is whipping us. We shoot ourselves in the foot sometimes and we don't know how to bounce back from it."

Kansas City's running attack ranks 10th in the league at 120.5 yards per game but has struggled during the 1-4 stretch, averaging 79.0 yards with only two TDs. Jamaal Charles has run for 52 yards or fewer in three of his last four games.

They'll likely lean heavily on the run considering Daniel has one career start in six NFL seasons.

Things could open up versus San Diego, which gave up 355 rushing yards Sunday - the most ever by a losing team. The Chargers allow 125.0 per game, which ranks 26th, and Charles has averaged 5.6 yards per carry with six TDs over his last seven meetings.

Rivers will have to be wary of Justin Houston, whose 18 sacks are two shy of the Chiefs record set by Derrick Thomas in 1990.

Antonio Gates is one TD catch shy of becoming the ninth overall and second tight end with 100 in a career. His 15 versus Kansas City are his most versus one opponent.

San Diego has won five of seven in Kansas City.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

The Chiefs nearly beat the Chargers when they sat half of their team last year, I don't see why it can't be close again.

:Chiefs: 33

:Chargers: 30

*drinks tea amicably*

Chargers probably gonna win and eliminate any potential WC seeding drama.

Jamaal Charles (ankle, hamstring) is active for Week 17 against the Chargers.

Charles was listed as questionable, but practiced throughout the week. He should be locked into a heavy workload with Chase Daniel starting.
The Chiefs inactives are QB Alex Smith, WR Donnie Avery, CB Phillip Gaines, CB Marcus Cooper, C Eric Kush, OL Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, and DL Nick Williams.

Keenan Allen (collarbone) is inactive for Week 17 against the Chiefs.

The Chargers will go with Malcom Floyd, Eddie Royal, and Dontrelle Inman in three-wide sets.
Also inactive for San Diego are RB Ryan Mathews, C Chris Watt, CB Greg Ducre, DE Damion Square, NT Ryan Carrethers, and OLB Cordarro Law.

I gave the Chargers far too much credit.

Must be something in the air/water in San Diego. This team chokes every year.

Romo named his last kid Rivers Romo. I think he spread the curse to Rivers using some weird dragon age voodoo.

I watched this entire game.

I'm not sure why I did.

I should not have.

• Upvote 1

Was rooting for ya San Diego =o

had some gripes about the officiating but we were outcoached and outplayed. Frustrating as hell watching our offensive line attempt to block. Might want to fix it given we play Von Miller, Houston & Hali two times a year each...

Edited by Letang2Crosby

Khalil Mack too. That kid is gonna be a superstar.

Justin Houston's sack total snuck up on me. Knew he was having a hell of a season, but wow.

Chiefs GM John Dorsey threw support behind Alex Smith at Dorsey's season-ending press conference Monday.

Smith infamously failed to throw a single touchdown pass to a wide receiver across 15 starts, but the Chiefs seem to have embraced his risk-averse playing style, and Smith still finished with a 65.3 completion rate and 18:6 TD-to-INT ratio before missing Week 17 with a lacerated spleen. "We’ve got to put some more pieces around him," said Dorsey. "But I think he’s lived up to what we thought he could be." Turning 31 in May, Smith is signed through 2018.

Asked to assess Dwayne Bowe's 2014 performance, Chiefs GM John Dorsey offered "I think he's a really good teammate."

Bowe, 30, finished a pedestrian 2014 season with a 60-754-0 receiving line. His stats were 57-673-5 in 2013. "His numbers were very similar to the year before," Dorsey said. "I think he’s a really good teammate." Bowe seems to have slowed down the past two seasons, but quarterback Alex Smith's ultra-conservative playing style has a way of making wide receivers look slower on the field. Bowe is owed a whopping $11 million in 2015 salary and bonuses. $1.75 million of his base salary is guaranteed.

:mjlaugh: