Sign in to follow this  
Bucman

Browns WR Josh Gordon Addresses Critics

CLEVELAND, Ohio — The Cleveland Browns announced Saturday that they’ve suspended WR Josh Gordon for “violation of team rules.”

Gordon started all five games he appeared in this year, and totaled 24 receptions for 303 yards, according to a release.

Earlier this year, Gordon was given a one-year suspension for repeated violations of the NFL’s drug policy. The suspension was reduced to 10 games after changes to the league’s drug policy.

Gordon was allowed to rejoin the Browns in the middle of December.

He was also suspended for the first two regular season games in 2013 for violating NFL policy.

The Browns also announced Saturday they have elevated WR Phil Bates to active roster from the practice squad for Sunday’s game against the Ravens. It’s the Brown’s last game of the season.

Stick with Fox 8 and Fox8.com for more.

http://fox8.com/2014/12/27/browns-suspend-josh-gordon-for-violation-of-team-rules/

When is this guy going to learn? He has been given so many chances to play football and continues to blow them.

Edited by Favre4Ever

By being active for only five games, Gordon fell one game short of the requirement for an accredited season, meaning he will be a restricted free agent -- instead of an unrestricted free agent -- following the 2015 season.<--- I think this played a huge part in it as well.

• Upvote 1

Josh Gordon is an idiot, and I am not making excuses for him. However, I have to imagine that at least part of this was the Browns making sure they got that non accrued year in there. Gordon should have been doing everything right in order to not give the Browns a chance to suspend him -- but apparently he isn't all that intelligent.

I think he really needs to get out of Cleveland and go somewhere that will surround him with people who can get him on the right track.... The Browns are kind of a dirty, shady organization anyway.

I know this isn't the point of the thread... but if you are running a respectable franchise, you can't have a guy like Manziel leading your team or being the face of your organization. No way, no how.

When you're suspending your star wr because he was out too late partying with your supposed future qb there are issues

Ya, and the Browns sent security to get Manziel who then only showed up late and got a fine... Meanwhile, it doesn't look like the Browns made any attempt to get or find Gordon (at least that's how it appears), who ended up missing the entire workout and then got suspended.

Again, don't get me wrong... He (They) is still an idiot, but this is awfully fishy. ha

Edited by Favre4Ever

It's a shame because there is soo much talent between both Gordon and Manziel, and yet they are just pissing away their golden ticket.

I guess I shouldn't feel too bad for Cleveland. It's not like all the off-field issues weren't well documented on these jokers before they drafted them.

to be fair regarding the suspension, it doesn't make much sense to suspend a QB who's already on IR, but it does seem odd that they'd send someone to get Johnny but not Gordon, by which I really mean it seems weird they'd send someone for Johnny

I'm pretty sure if I were Carolina, I'd give up a second to get Gordon. It may be me reaching a bit trying to get a good WR, but damn the possibilities. Its not often that a player of that caliber hits the market.

I'm pretty sure if I were Carolina, I'd give up a second to get Gordon. It may be me reaching a bit trying to get a good WR, but damn the possibilities. Its not often that a player of that caliber hits the market.

Gordon has had way more opportunuties to redeem himself than he has even deserved, and he's dropped them all in stunning lackadaisical fashion. I know he's got rare athletic talent, but he also possesses rare stupidity to match it.

A second round pick are you kidding me Thanatos? This has got to be the dumbest thing you've ever posted. C'mon man you are way better than that. Any team willing to give up more than a conditional seventh round pick to just roll the dice on him deserves the headache they will receive.

Josh Gordon is hopeless. Justin Blackmon 2.0.

I think if he landed on the right team with a good, no nonsense head coach and established veteran leadership he could straighten himself out, unfortunately he's stuck in Cleveland which has neither

Favre do you really think that being in that type of environment would change Gordon? Dude has been given a ton of chances since college. Getting kicked off two college teams is terrible. Manziel may be stupid but he is not responsible for others stupidity too.

I think if he landed on the right team with a good, no nonsense head coach and established veteran leadership he could straighten himself out, unfortunately he's stuck in Cleveland which has neither

It's certainly possible he could have a Randy Moss-esque revival to his career, but he has WAY more baggage than Moss ever had. Moss was just uninspired playing for a loser like Oakland.

Some team will give Gordon a shot at redemption. The Patriots got Moss for a fourth rounder, which is why anything more than that would be ludicrous and the Browns would jump at the chance to get rid of his dumb ass.

After attending GM Ray Farmer's year-ending press conference Tuesday, ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi sensed a "definite feeling" that Josh Gordon won't be back with the Browns in 2015.

The Chronicle-Telegram's Scott Petrak gets the same feeling. Grossi went as far to say it may take "only five minutes" into staff meetings next week for the team to decide on Gordon. You'd have to think the Browns will try and trade Gordon before outright waiving him, but a split seems likelier by the day.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8282/josh-gordon

Profootballtalk's Mike Florio confirms Josh Gordon's one-year suspension stems from a failed test for alcohol, a substance Gordon was prohibited from consuming following his July 2014 DUI.

Consuming alcohol seems minor to all of us, but it was explicitly banned for Gordon as part of his DUI treatment plan. As NFL Network's Ian Rapoport noted on Twitter, the NFL's substance abuse policy is "extremely strict and spelled out. He'll wait for 2016." Gordon will be 25 1/2 years old when the 2016 season kicks off. He led the NFL in receiving yards at age 22.

smh...

Due to his latest suspension, Josh Gordon's contract will be tolled through the 2016 season, and he will only be eligible for restricted free agency in 2017.

This assumes the Browns don't cut Gordon. If they hold onto his rights -- doing so wouldn't count against Cleveland's roster limit -- Gordon will be signed for 2016 and eligible for the Browns to "tender" in 2017. All of this also assumes Gordon commits no violations during his year away. His contract will continue to be "tolled" as long as he's suspended.

What an idiot. Browns are likely going to cut him now. I'm beginning to think his career is going to end as well.

what reason do the Browns have to cut him? they won't have to pay him while he/s suspended and he doesn't count against the roster limit, unless they think having him on their suspended list would be too much of a distraction there's no reason not to sit on his rights

Trade him. There are teams that will bite hard. He's definitely got a lot of baggage and is always getting himself in trouble with the league, but... Undeniable talent.

What are you going to get for a guy who isn't even going to play until 2016?

What are you going to get for a guy who isn't even going to play until 2016?

more than you'll get if you cut him, I bet somebody'd give at least a seventh rounder for a guy of his talent who's still under team control for two seasons, even if those seasons are 2016 and 2017

His talent is definitely worth that, more even... But giving up draft picks for a guy who won't play for another year... Is a bit dumb, IMO. Not only that, but are you going to guarantee me Gordon doesn't screw up in that ONE YEAR off by himself? Nah, brah.

He's more than likely done in this league, unless somebody wakes him up, which doesn't look likely right now. And giving up a 7th rounder for somebody who may never play again, eh. Ya, you can say... "It's Only A 7th Rounder, little risk, high reward". I understand, just weighing the possibility you actually ever see a return on that measly 7th rounder, pretty small.

then a conditional seventh rounder conditioned on him playing at some point in the 2016 season, it's still better than cutting him