Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Update: Dolphins to sign Suh to $114M deal with $60M guaranteed

Can they even afford that? The cap number for that is like a staggering 27 million dollars. Lmao. Not only that, but I can only imagine how completely pissed off he would be.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Speaking Thursday, Lions GM Martin Mayhew said "every option" is on the table with impending free agent Ndamukong Suh.
As in, the Lions are willing to slap the franchise tag on Suh even though it would cost a staggering $26.7 million. The Lions would have to move mountains to get that number under the cap, but it can't be completely ruled out. Suh is that kind of talent. More than likely, however, it's a ploy to get Suh to the negotiating table before the start of free agency. The odds are probably less than 50-50 that Mayhew prevents Suh from reaching the open market. Jan 8 - 2:08 PM
The Detroit Free Press reports the Lions did "not come close" to meeting impending free agent Ndamukong Suh's contract demands before tabling long-term talks before training camp.
Suh did nothing to cheapen his price during this season, and is justifiably looking to become one of the league's highest-paid defenders. GM Martin Mayhew has said the franchise tag is an option, but it would cost a prohibitive $26.7 million. The Lions are either going to have to butcher their roster to clear cap space for the franchise tag, or win Suh over with a long-term proposal. Jan 8 - 5:41 PM

Guest Phailadelphia

Because the things he's gotten in trouble for have little or nothing to do with his actual play. He can be a jack ass, for sure. A dirty player though? I'm not going that far. As for the Rodgers thing, that was overturned. He never even looked back at him. I'm juSt saying that there are other actual, much worse, dirty players. I don't look at Suh as this Gorham super villain.

I don't think he's a villain either, and I don't know how he is outside of football games so I have no comment on his personality. But being a jackass on the field doens't mean he isn't dirty. The things he does are unequivocally dirty, whether you chalk those actions up to him being a "jack ass" or not.

You aren't a very good Panthers fan are you?

A lot of people forget that Joe Greene was a loose cannon during his first few seasons in the league, but that changed with time. Ndamukong Suh is my favorite non-Steeler, and not just because he has an awesome name either. It's because he's a 21st-Century Joe Greene.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Lions GM Martin Mayhew said he's "very optimistic" Detroit will be able to re-sign free agent Ndamukong Suh.
"You have to make a serious financial commitment to him and we’re ready to work that out with him," said Mayhew. Signs have been pointing toward Suh re-signing with the Lions the past couple weeks. Mayhew will exhaust all options in the effort before eventually making Suh the league's highest-paid defender. Feb 18 - 1:40 PM

Unfortunate. I was hoping he'd leave.

I hope he signs a big deal and finds out he needs microfracture surgery, loses all of his athletic ability, and is out of the league within 3 years.

never understood how fans can wish injuries upon players or even Career threatening injuries on players they never met before.

• Upvote 2

I really hope all these mentions of the Jags are just, "They've got money to spend, add them to the list."

Colts have got money, add them to the list.

never understood how fans can wish injuries upon players or even Career threatening injuries on players they never met before.

Have you ever wished death upon someone? Did they deserve it, in your opinion? Same thing.

Have you ever wished death upon someone? Did they deserve it, in your opinion? Same thing.

Not against someone I ve never met or don't know personally. Wishing a career threatening injury on a athlete someone has never met is bogus.

Edited by monstersofthemidway
  • Upvote 1

He's a world class dbag who continually does dumb things that could injure opponents. I'll wish whatever I want to wish upon him.

• Downvote 1

A lot of (defensive) players just like him who push the boundaries on a football field.

Edited by monstersofthemidway
  • Upvote 1

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Lions announced they will not use the franchise tag on DT Ndamukong Suh.
Due to previous contract restructures, franchising Suh would have cost the Lions an unruly $26.7M. So now it's official: If there's no long-term deal with Detroit in place by March 10, Suh will hit the open market as the NFL's No. 1 free agent. He'll obviously command interest from cap-rich teams all over the league even though he wants to be the NFL's highest paid defender -- topping J.J. Watt's six-year, $100M extension that included $51.8M in guarantees. The Detroit Free Press speculates bidders will include the Lions, Jaguars, Jets, Colts and Raiders. Suh has been a top-4 tackle in PFF's grades in each of the last three seasons, anchored 2014's No. 2 overall defense and has missed just two games in his five-year career. Mar 2 - 9:44 AM
Sources tell NBC4's Dianna Marie Russini that the Bucs, Jaguars and Raiders will be "hot" after free agent DT Ndamukong Suh.
In theory, the Lions could still get a deal done with Suh before free agency opens March 10. But now that he hasn't been franchise tagged, the way for Suh to maximize his payday is to create a bidding war. There will certainly be one, as first-team All-Pro players rarely hit the market in their prime. We'd add the Colts and Jets as teams that should be interested in breaking the bank for Suh. Mar 2 - 12:05 PM
DetroitLions.com reports the team is "still hopeful" of reaching a long-term agreement with free agent DT Ndamukong Suh.
There's reason to believe Suh will remain in Detroit; it just won't be via the franchise tag. The Lions' odds of retaining their defensive linchpin will be no better than 50-50 in a year where many teams find themselves flush with cap space. Mar 2 - 1:29 PM
"Sources with the organization" tell NBC Washington that the Redskins are interested in free agent Ndamukong Suh.
Consider this the least-surprising development of the offseason. Owner Daniel Snyder has long thought games are won in March, not September-December. Per the Washington Post, the Redskins have about $25 million in cap space. A run at Suh isn't a pipe dream, but would limit new GM Scot McCloughan's options in his first year on the job. The Redskins are 12-15 players away from being a contender, not one. Mar 2 - 4:30 PM

If Suh signs with Washington there will be immediate Fat Al comparisons, fair or not, so I don't really see that happening

Jags gonna sign every NFC N free agent out there.

Jags gonna sign every NFC N free agent out there.

Honestly as a Texans fan I'd start feeling pretty damn nervous if the Jags sign Suh and Cobb.

ESPN's Mark Dominik considers the Dolphins one of three teams with a "real shot" at landing free agent Ndamukong Suh.

Dominik compares Suh to Reggie White as a "once in a generational talent" who will actually find his way to the open market. We don't disagree with that assessment. Now on to Suh and the Dolphins; we're not sure how Miami would work Suh into their payroll. After today's releases of CB Cortland Finnegan and T/G Nate Garner, and Charles Clay's transition tag, the Dolphins are about $2 million under the cap. At age 28, Suh is going to command the largest contract among defensive players in NFL history.
Related: Dolphins

We have more than enough cap space for him if TKnight goes to Oakland :devious:

Might be an odd fit for Wade's NT, but it would work.

Honestly as a Texans fan I'd start feeling pretty damn nervous if the Jags sign Suh and Cobb.

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if they turned a switch on.

Suh to the Bucs paired with McCoy would be insane.

Might be an odd fit for Wade's NT, but it would work.

Wade would use Suh the same way he used Watt. Mostly at five-tech, but move him all around the d-line and that includes nose.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476581/article/albert-haynesworth-offers-advice-to-ndamukong-suh

Albert Haynesworth offers advice to Ndamukong Suh

Albert Haynesworth is here to ease your concerns about signing Ndamukong Suh to a massive contract.

That's not exactly what he said, but close enough.Don't worry, it won't be like that time Washington inked me to a seven-year, $100 million deal.

"I think honestly the difference between me and him is, I didn't want to leave the Titans," Haynesworth said Wednedsay on WPRT-FM in Nashville. "I wanted to stay because I was very close with (Titans defensive line coach Jim Washburn) and it was just fun. To play for him and to have the guys that I played with.

"The Titans really, upper management, really just forced the hand of me moving. I think with Suh, I don't think he really wants to stay, and I don't think the Lions really want to keep him either."

While there's a chance Haynesworth is right about the second part, there's no question his contract looms large when it comes to the future Suh deal even though the pair are completely different.

His advice for Suh was fairly standard. Haynesworth claims he was lied to about the defense he'd be playing, and suggested that Suh know exactly what he's getting himself into.

Oh, and most importantly, don't allow yourself to lose the love you had for the game.

"Well, I mean, it wasn't fun," Haynesworth said Wednesday. "To be honest, after like a year or so of doing that, I mean, it really just got old. It was not, not fun. At Washington, it took my love away from the game. When I was with the Titans we loved the game. We loved, as a D-line, to go out and just destroy an offense.

"We didn't win all the time or whatever, but just to know that we really caused problems for other offenses and that we played extremely hard. ... And then, when I went to Washington, it almost became like politics.

Almost. It wasn't 100 percent about football."

The best part about the interview, as pointed out by The Washington Post, is that Haynesworth called into the program during a Snowmobiling trip in New Hampshire. At 33, there's a conceivable chance he could still be playing if things went differently and he talked about lamenting that fact every day.

Whichever team signs Suh hopes that he'll still be pressuring the quarterback at that age, and not vacationing in New Hampshire.

Honestly, considering all the cap space the Eagles have, going after Suh is more appealing...We have 50 million in cap space and still haven't released Demeco Ryans which will free up about 7 million more. With about 57 million in cap space, I think it's manageable to get Suh and still resign our in house guys and get Maclin back. Locking up Suh for the rest of his prime and having Fletcher Cox on the same line as him would be a monstrous front with catastrophic capabilities. The prospect of Suh and Cox, two guys that warrant double teams is just too good to think about.

Edited by Dutch