BLUE

Panthers @ Seahawks

By TAYLOR BECHTOLD

STATS Writer

(AP) -- Believing they're better now for having navigated an early Super Bowl hangover, the Seattle Seahawks hope to take a step toward becoming the first repeat champions in 10 years.

With their defense seemingly back in title form, the Seahawks look to extend the NFL's longest winning streak to seven games by stopping the Carolina Panthers' surprising run Saturday night in the NFC divisional round.

Seattle has come a long way since splitting its first six games while the defense looked nothing like the unit that dominated high-scoring Denver in a 43-8 victory in Super Bowl XLVII.

Through the first seven weeks, the Seahawks ranked 19th in defensive scoring at 23.5 while allowing 324.5 yards per game. At that point, they didn't appear capable of becoming the first team since New England in 2005 to repeat.

"It's been difficult for people, and the history of it shows you that it's hard to come back and get yourself back into this kind of position again," coach Pete Carroll said.

Carroll's squad has done that by getting back to its ball-hawking ways. The Seahawks allowed three touchdowns, 39 points and kept five of six opponents to seven points or less while winning their last six games to finish 12-4.

They did not allow a point in the fourth quarter during that stretch, surrendering 66.0 yards rushing and 136.2 yards passing per game to finish with the league's top-ranked defense for the second straight season.

The Seahawks will have to continue that effort in the playoffs without defensive tackle Jordan Hill (calf), who had been a force inside with 5 1/2 sacks over the final six games.

"We figured it out; it just took us a long time," Carroll said. "It just took us longer than we would like, but the thing that happened this year just happened in different order than it did last year."

Seattle, which has home-field advantage throughout the playoffs, seeks its eighth straight postseason home win and fifth consecutive victory overall in the past five seasons against Carolina (8-8-1).

The Panthers have only managed one offensive touchdown in the past three meetings after Cam Newton went 12 of 22 for 171 yards with an interception and a lost fumble in a 13-9 home loss Oct. 26.

Since throwing an interception in eight consecutive starts, Newton has seven touchdowns and two picks in his last four. He tossed two TDs in last Saturday's 27-16 home win over Arizona in the wild-card round, but also had an interception that led to a touchdown and coughed up a fumble.

"We have to play better than we have," said coach Ron Rivera, whose home sustained significant damage from a fire two days after the win. "We just have to be smarter than some of the things we did out there. We have to protect the football."

Carolina became the first team to go more than two months without a win and reach the playoffs with four straight victories - including one without Newton after he was injured in a car accident Dec. 9.

The Panthers also have turned things around on the defensive end, allowing 11.8 points and 238.2 yards per game in their last five. Led by linebacker Luke Kuechly, they gave up 78 yards last weekend - the fewest ever allowed in the playoffs.

Defensive end Star Lotulelei has been critical to the improved play down the stretch, but he won't be available after undergoing surgery to repair a broken bone in his foot.

"It isn't the prettiest thing, but we got a date to the prom at the end of the day," safety Roman Harper said. "We're here. She's probably not the best-looking one; she's not going to win prom queen, but we'll have a good time."

The Panthers will look to contain Seattle playmakers Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch as they try to advance to the NFC championship game for the first time since a 34-14 loss to the Seahawks in 2005.

Wilson has thrown for nine touchdowns with two interceptions over his last seven games and led the league with 53.1 rushing yards per game among quarterbacks. Newton ranked third at 38.5.

Wilson, though, has totaled 54 rushing yards while completing 71.1 percent of his passes with three scores and three picks in three meetings with Carolina. He found tight end Luke Willson for the winning 23-yard scoring play with 47 seconds remaining in October.

Lynch has a league high-tying eight rushing touchdowns and ranks fourth with 94.6 rushing yards per game since Week 10. However, he hasn't run for more than 85 yards in five games against the Panthers, going without a TD in the past three.

Seattle will get a lift with the return of center Max Unger following a six-game absence due to knee and ankle injuries.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

Head coach nearly dies in a fire, QB nearly dies in a car accident? No problem, Carolina rolls.

Seattle is a natural disaster though, on the scale of a tsunami or Honey Boo Boo.

:Seahawks: 20

:panthers: 12

We will be without Mebane's replacement at DT, Jordan Hill. Hill was lost due to a weightlifting injury pulling his calf. Demarcus Dobbs and Kevin Williams will be our defensive tackle duo. Panthers also lost a defensive tackle, Star Lotulelei to IR against the Cards.

Edit: I was mistaken, Jermaine Kearse status not in doubt. He is healed and starting.

Edited by BC

We will be without Jermaine Kearse, and also Mebane's replacement at DT, Jordan Hill. Hill was lost due to a weightlifting injury pulling his calf. Demarcus Dobbs and Kevin Williams will be our defensive tackle duo. Panthers also lost a defensive tackle, Star Lotulelei to IR against the Cards.

Kearse is playing he has been practicing all week i believe.

Edited by Sacks98

We will be without Jermaine Kearse, and also Mebane's replacement at DT, Jordan Hill. Hill was lost due to a weightlifting injury pulling his calf. Demarcus Dobbs and Kevin Williams will be our defensive tackle duo. Panthers also lost a defensive tackle, Star Lotulelei to IR against the Cards.

Um, first off, Jordan Hill is not Star.

Not just that Star is better, but also Jordan Hill is nowhere near as important to your defense as Star is to ours. That injury hurts us a ton, the Hill injury is a blip. Seattle is way too deep as a team, Carolina is not.

Secondly, we did not lose Star during the Cardinals game. It was a freak accident in practice.

In other news, Michael Bennett says some really strange things:

When Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett looks at the Panthers, he sees a lot of his own team.

"It's kind of weird playing them, because it's almost like you're looking in the mirror," Bennett said this week, according to The Daily Herald. "It's a team that has similar attributes all over, similar qualities -- both quarterbacks are both mobile, big receivers -- well we don't have any big receivers, but we have big-hearted receivers -- powerful running backs, great defensive lines and linebacker play. So it's a good game."

Bennett then dug in on the topic, to the benefit of us all before theSeahawks and Panthers face each other on Saturday.

"It's so much alike, man. It's like you look at a girl who looks like you, and you find out it's your cousin, so you can't go on a date with her even though you'd like to, because she looks like you," Bennett said. "But then you see her friend, and her friend's really hot, and you're like, 'That's not my cousin,' so it's good."

OK, so Bennett represents the Seahawks and the attractive Bennett clone female represents the Panthers. That's established. But who does the genetically agreeable friend represent?

Michael Bennett says a lot of interesting things.

Hill is actually a pretty big loss he was really getting after the QB before he went down with his injury now we are down to a DT that hasn't played in awhile.

Michael Bennett will say some odd things but i think its his way of marketing himself lol.

Edited by Sacks98
  • Upvote 1

No no, I didn't really phrase that right.

Hill is not as big of a loss for Seattle because your defensive secondary is one of the best in, well, NFL history. You don't need to generate consistent pressure on the QB to still do great defensively. Carolina's secondary is... a bit on the eh side as someone put it.

Roman Harper, Tre Boston, Bene Benewikere, and Josh Norman are effective, and over the last six games have played some fantastic ball, but the Legion of Boom they are not.

Carolina without any pass rush except via blitzing is dead in the water. I just hope Colin Cole can step it up tremendously because that is what it is going to take.

Let's not kid ourselves here. This is going to be a defensive slugfest. The Panthers are better than they appear, but this is the Seahawks. This game isn't going to be 30 to anything, as I've seen lots of people say.

16-13? 16-12? Something like that.

Newton desperately needs to not force anything. Don't give Seattle's offense a short field, ever, and we have a shot.

Fortunately, we have Razor again voting against us, so that clearly means the Panthers will win.

Edited by Thanatos19

I think Carolina can do it. I hope they do.

Edited by BenGone

:Seahawks: 27

:panthers: 16

Panthers are a good team, just not good enough. I see Seattle winning the field position battle almost the entire game, and one Cam mistake will be all it takes for them to pull away late.

Edited by Sarge

It seems that whichever team scores the one touchdown between them will end up the winner. Otherwise the kickers are going to feature big.

Hill isn't Star. Mebane is probably the Star equivalent. Hill is the situational rotation player (Kevin Williams being the other) who filled the role that Mebane vacated.

It'll be tough to replicate Hill's contribution, as he really was playing at a level akin to Clinton McDonald of last year. Hill was providing the only interior pass rush working off of the constant double teams on Bennett. Seattle is deep but we're down 3 DTs from our 2 deep depth chart (Mebane, Hill, Marsh). We have more space eaters left on the roster at this point. We're going to have to lean on Kevin Williams more and hope Dobbs can provide some positive plays.

Not sure how Star figured into the Carolina rotation. Whether he just stayed on the field or if Carolina spelled him with subpackage players situationally. It appeared that Star was the player who provided opportunity for everyone else on the front by demanding double teams. Certainly every time I saw Short making any play, it was Star who was providing him the 1 on 1 opportunity.

I kind of seeing the game going two ways. Either it'll be tough like the last few have been with either team having realistic opportunities to win the game. Or Seattle will win somewhat comfortably. Seattle had to grit out wins in Carolina the last few times. I'd think that the home field advantage for Seattle would be worth enough to extend those efforts. Both teams are hot heading in. I just see Seattle being more talented. The old axiom, "always take the better defense at home" applies here. Seattle is playing at an insane level right now.

Not having the centerpiece of the defense that the rest of the front can thank for consistently favorable matchups could submarine Carolina's ability to defend. Particularly against an opponent who is physical between the tackles and getting their center back from the sideline. The late hour with which Star was lost may make it difficult for the Panthers to reconfigure their defense. I have no expectation whatsoever that Colin Cole can remotely provide what Lotulelei does. He is a single team assignment all the way and will be handled without difficulty.

Seattle is probably going to run a lot of power plays. Get our guards out on Davis and Kuechly and move up the middle. Not so much the stretch zone runs, which are a staple for us. I would think we'll go in between the tackles a lot. Losing a player of Star's quality really hurts Carolina because Seattle is probably one of two teams left in the playoffs that will just work that now favorable matchup relentlessly.

Seattle won't care if it's not working in the first half. They'll keep working it over and over. Because even LBs of Kuechly and Davis' quality won't hold up to the physical mismatch all game long. I'd expect a lot of runs off RG, allowing Carpenter to block/cut Short and allowing Sweezy to get to the second level. He's our best at getting to the next level and he's very nimble afoot. He engages faster linebackers extremely well and is a very physical/nasty blocker.

• Upvote 1

The Seahawks will likely score more than one touchdown via Beast Mode. The Panthers need to find at least a pair of TDS to be in this game.

I don't see why Beast Mode is likely going to get a pair of TDs. The Panthers haven't given up more than 17 points since November, not to mention that Lynch has been shut down by the Panthers two out of three games and heavily underused this past game, (14 for 66 is not shut down, the Hawks just quit running for some reason. Held in check, I guess?)

This is a young squad on defense and they could get overwhelmed, but the defense shouldn't have to deal with the crowd noise as much since the crowd will be quieter when the Hawks are driving.

Regardless of what happens, I am proud of this team for not quitting when people assumed it was over and making it to this point.

Whatever it looks like on paper, that's why they play the game. No one gives us a shot in hell, so hopefully the players just play loose and have fun. All the pressure should be on the Seahawks.

• Upvote 2

I don't see why Beast Mode is likely going to get a pair of TDs. The Panthers haven't given up more than 17 points since November, not to mention that Lynch has been shut down by the Panthers two out of three games and heavily underused this past game, (14 for 66 is not shut down, the Hawks just quit running for some reason. Held in check, I guess?)

This is a young squad on defense and they could get overwhelmed, but the defense shouldn't have to deal with the crowd noise as much since the crowd will be quieter when the Hawks are driving.

Regardless of what happens, I am proud of this team for not quitting when people assumed it was over and making it to this point.

Whatever it looks like on paper, that's why they play the game. No one gives us a shot in hell, so hopefully the players just play loose and have fun. All the pressure should be on the Seahawks.

Not everyone is saying the Seahawks are going to destroy the Panthers there are national guys that are giving you a shot.

I see national people saying the Panthers have a shot, sure. I see Tony Dungy making the comment, (which I think is silly, given the presence of a team that has already beaten Seattle at home) that the Panthers are the only team that is equipped to beat Seattle at home, but Dungy has had a love affair with the Panthers for three years. I think he likes Cam.

I have not seen a single national pundit or expert actually pick Carolina to win the game. We are 11 point underdogs.

That's okay and I'm not saying we shouldn't be large underdogs, (though I'd kinda be shocked if we lost by more than 11 points, given the nature of these two squads, unless it came on a late TD), but it does seem like most people just assume it will be Dallas @ Seattle or Green Bay @ Seattle. I just hope they use it as motivation.

You've got nothing at all to lose, no one expects you to win, very few expect a close game. Just go out, play loose, play your best and let the cards fall where they may.

Not giving up more than 17 points is impressive, but let's look at Carolina's opponents for the games in December and beyond...

New Orleans

Tampa

Cleveland w/ Johnny Manziel

Atlanta

Arizona w/ Ryan Lindley

Certainly not the cream of the crop in the league. It's still an impressive feat and testament to the focus and ability of the Carolina defense for keeping those teams under 17 points (especially in today's NFL). I just thought it was worth noting to put that stat in a little better perspective.

• Upvote 1

Not giving up more than 17 points is impressive, but let's look at Carolina's opponents for the games in December and beyond...

New Orleans

Tampa

Cleveland w/ Johnny Manziel

Atlanta

Arizona w/ Ryan Lindley

Certainly not the cream of the crop in the league. It's still an impressive feat and testament to the focus and ability of the Carolina defense for keeping those teams under 17 points (especially in today's NFL). I just thought it was worth noting to put that stat in a little better perspective.

No one had ever held the Saints to 3 points midway through the 4th in the dome. The Saints issue was defense, not offense. They were more than capable of lighting up opponents.

Tampa, sure, Tampa sucks ass.

Cleveland inserted Hoyer after Colin Jones and Luke Kuechly took Johnny Football out. Still, granted, piss poor offense, though Josh Norman shut Josh Gordon down completely.

Atlanta, though, Atlanta was a top-5 passing offense. Julio was shut down by Norman, again, just like in the first meeting. Holding Atlanta to 3 points was damn impressive, their record was 6-10, but their offense was pretty good, at least the vertical game.

Arizona floundered at the end, but in week 17 they still put up nearly 300 yards on the Niners top-5 defense. Holding them to 78 is also damn impressive, especially given the way our offense was playing. The Panthers defense could have easily crumbled and given the game away, given the terrible turnovers we had.

On the subject of Panthers/Cards, why has virtually no one questioned Bruce Arians for leaving in a high school skill level punter? You have to know your punter is a problem, you're going to the playoffs with a team known for defense- i.e. field position will likely be huge- and you don't sign a better punter? Really? The guy's longest punt was 38 yards. Awful, awful coaching there, in the preparation.

So sure, they haven't been the greatest of teams, the Saints and Falcons still have decent offenses, but it wasn't the Packers and they aren't Seattle. I don't really expect a W, but this team has surprised the hell out of me.

Who gets blown out by the Vikings to fall to 3-8-1 and then turns around and drops a 41-10 beatdown on the Saints? They never gave up when everyone was calling them out and saying how bad the Panthers were and giving the division to the Saints, just like in preseason when everyone was saying the Panthers were going to regress hardcore on offense, (which they did not), and Benji was going to bust and any number of other things I remember.

If Seattle plays their best football, they win. We aren't as good of a team. If they take us lightly or make a few mistakes, the Panthers are more than capable of capitalizing on them. Mike Shula being the OC is a big issue, especially in the redzone, and it could end up costing us the game, too.

As they say, that's why they play the game.

Edited by Thanatos19

No one had ever held the Saints to 3 points midway through the 4th in the dome. The Saints issue was defense, not offense. They were more than capable of lighting up opponents.

Tampa, sure, Tampa sucks ass.

Cleveland inserted Hoyer after Colin Jones and Luke Kuechly took Johnny Football out. Still, granted, piss poor offense, though Josh Norman shut Josh Gordon down completely.

Atlanta, though, Atlanta was a top-5 passing offense. Julio was shut down by Norman, again, just like in the first meeting. Holding Atlanta to 3 points was damn impressive, their record was 6-10, but their offense was pretty good, at least the vertical game.

Arizona floundered at the end, but in week 17 they still put up nearly 300 yards on the Niners top-5 defense. Holding them to 78 is also damn impressive, especially given the way our offense was playing. The Panthers defense could have easily crumbled and given the game away, given the terrible turnovers we had.

On the subject of Panthers/Cards, why has virtually no one questioned Bruce Arians for leaving in a high school skill level punter? You have to know your punter is a problem, you're going to the playoffs with a team known for defense- i.e. field position will likely be huge- and you don't sign a better punter? Really? The guy's longest punt was 38 yards. Awful, awful coaching there, in the preparation.

So sure, they haven't been the greatest of teams, the Saints and Falcons still have decent offenses, but it wasn't the Packers and they aren't Seattle. I don't really expect a W, but this team has surprised the hell out of me.

Who gets blown out by the Vikings to fall to 3-8-1 and then turns around and drops a 41-10 beatdown on the Saints? They never gave up when everyone was calling them out and saying how bad the Panthers were and giving the division to the Saints, just like in preseason when everyone was saying the Panthers were going to regress hardcore on offense, (which they did not), and Benji was going to bust and any number of other things I remember.

If Seattle plays their best football, they win. We aren't as good of a team. If they take us lightly or make a few mistakes, the Panthers are more than capable of capitalizing on them. Mike Shula being the OC is a big issue, especially in the redzone, and it could end up costing us the game, too.

As they say, that's why they play the game.

Arians should of also found a replacement for Lindley he was terrible before the Playoffs even began.

• Upvote 1

I see national people saying the Panthers have a shot, sure. I see Tony Dungy making the comment, (which I think is silly, given the presence of a team that has already beaten Seattle at home) that the Panthers are the only team that is equipped to beat Seattle at home, but Dungy has had a love affair with the Panthers for three years. I think he likes Cam.

I have not seen a single national pundit or expert actually pick Carolina to win the game. We are 11 point underdogs.

That's okay and I'm not saying we shouldn't be large underdogs, (though I'd kinda be shocked if we lost by more than 11 points, given the nature of these two squads, unless it came on a late TD), but it does seem like most people just assume it will be Dallas @ Seattle or Green Bay @ Seattle. I just hope they use it as motivation.

You've got nothing at all to lose, no one expects you to win, very few expect a close game. Just go out, play loose, play your best and let the cards fall where they may.

They already fell.

27-10 Seattle.

• Upvote 1

Close game early on, makes a lot of us think Carolina can shock the league, but in the second half, Seattle's lack of turnovers and brute efficiency on offense give them the edge.

:Seahawks: 23

:panthers: 13

• Upvote 2

I'm with the Panthers play well but lose in a heartbreaker crowd.

:panthers: 17

:Seahawks: 27

Panthers WR Philly Brown (shoulder) is active for the Divisional Round against the Seahawks.

Brown is good to go as Cam Newton's No. 3 receiver. As previously reported, stud DT Star Lotulelei (foot) is inactive, and done for the season. Also inactive for the Panthers are CB James Dockery, S Robert Lester, LB A.J. Klein, OT David Foucault, OG Amini Silatolu and DE Frank Alexander.

Seahawks C Max Unger (ankle) is active for the Divisional Round against the Panthers.

Jermaine Kearse (hamstring) is also active. Unger has been sidelined since Week 11. His return is a big boost for Marshawn Lynch and the Seahawks' running game.
Inactive for the Seahawks are TE Tony Moeaki, S Jeron Johnson, CB Marcus Burley, OG Lemuel Jeanpierre, OG Keavon Milton, DT Landon Cohen and WR Kevin Norwood.

Their defense will make it a good game for the most part but our defense utlimately wins us the game.

:panthers: 0

:Seahawks: 17

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Their defense will make it a good game for the most part but our defense utlimately wins us the game.

:panthers: 0

:Seahawks: 17

You'll probably squeak out a win, but to be arrogant about it. Not cool.