BC

SB 49 XLIX: New England Patriots @ Seattle Seahawks

^not sure why its not working because it's an NFL Films production, but it works if you view it in a normal browser by itself so click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B8qugWFOXE

We're down to the final game. The NFL's two best teams are set to collide on the world's biggest stage in Super Bowl 49 to determine the champion of the 2014 season. The Seattle Seahawks and New England Patriots will face off on Feb. 1 in a Super Bowl as tantalizing as you could imagine in terms of compelling matchups and intriguing storylines.

This game has all the makings of a Super Bowl for the ages with these two teams going head-to-head in a quest to make history. Nobody has won back-to-back titles since the 2003-04 Patriots, so it's only fitting that New England stands in the way of the Seahawks becoming the ninth team in NFL history to achieve the feat.

The Patriots are trying to end a decade-long championship drought, and a win would give Tom Brady and Bill Belichick their fourth Super Bowl ring, which would put them both in rarefied air. The only quarterbacks to win four rings are Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw, and the only head coach with four Super Bowls titles to his name is former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Chuck Noll.

While neither team is a surprising entry in this year's Super Bowl, the Seahawks and Patriots didn't take the easy road to the top of their conferences. Seattle suffered through the inevitable Super Bowl hangover, starting 3-3 before winning 11 of 12 games to reach the big game. The Patriots were just 2-2 after a Week 4 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs, before reeling off 12 wins in their last 14 games.

With both No. 1 seeds battling in the final showdown of the season, this is set up on paper to be a highly competitive and entertaining Super Bowl. It is the 11th time that the league's top seeds will be matched up in the big game since 1975 (when the NFL's playoff format began basing home field advantage on teams' regular season records), and recent trends favor a Seattle victory: the NFC has won the last six Super Bowls between No. 1 seeds.

However, if history is any indication, we might be headed for another blowout like last year's 35-point win by the Seahawks over the Denver Broncos. That game, too, featured the AFC's and NFC's best teams and continued a trend of underwhelming Super Bowl games between top seeds. Only one of the 10 previous matchups was decided by single digits -- the San Francisco 49ers beat the Cincinnati Bengals, 26-21, in Super Bowl 16 -- and the average margin of victory in those 10 contests was more than 20 points per game.

There appears to be little consensus on who will win this game among our resident NFL experts. The OddsShark computer is taking New England, but the other guys on our panel are basically split even between the Seahawks and the Patriots. As a reminder, these are picks to win the game (not against the spread), so choose wisely and do your research before making your big Super Bowl prediction:

Super Bowl Ryan Van Bibber Stephen White Joel Thorman David Fucillo Danny Kelly PFT Commenter Matt Ufford OddsShark Computer NFC vs AFC SEA SEA NE SEA SEA NE NE NE

Our panel consists of: David Fucillo, SB Nation's fantasy guru; Danny Kelly, SB Nation NFL contributor; PFT Commenter, SB Nation's hot takes expert; Joel Thorman, SB Nation NFL blogs manager; Matt Ufford, editorial producer, SB Nation studios; Ryan Van Bibber, SB Nation's NFL editor; and Stephen White, retired NFL defensive end and SB Nation NFL contributor.

:trophy::towel:

What a juicy matchup it is. Predictions later but a much closer game than last year is much in order. Really pumped. The winner obviously makes a pretty huge mark in history. Seahawks fans reportedly outnumber Patriots fans in sales 5:1 per the Seattle times. And with that storm in the east, should have a Seattle crowd.

Fun fact: Both Seahawks and Patriots have identical turnover margin in the last ten years: Plus 51.

Edited by BC

Do work, Seattle.

I know both Sherman and Thomas will play, but at what percentage they can play will be huge. If Sherman's left arm is strong enough to jam his man on the line and handle contact when going up to contest catches, I really like Seattle's chances. There's nothing wrong with Thomas' legs and range, so as long as he can avoid destroying his shoulder and leaving the game early, he should be fine.

The way I see it:

Seattle gets no turnovers: Patriots win by 7-10.

Seattle gets one turnover: Coin flip.

Seattle gets two turnovers: Seattle wins by one score.

Seattle gets three or more turnovers: See XLVIII.

:Seahawks: = -11

:Patriots: = -21

... Who wins in this scenario?

And the Pats really should have -11, for obvious reasons. Missed your shot there, bro.

And the Pats really should have -11, for obvious reasons. Missed your shot there, bro.

fresh-prince-shocked.gif

NOOOOOO!!!

...and nobody wins.

That Seahawks would win because -11 is greater than -21

Is it bad that my mind thought of dirty things when I saw the sexy position she was in?

:bag:

Razor, get off of Mav's account.

• Upvote 1

Final call:

:Patriots: 24

:Seahawks: 20

Just want a good game at this point.

Game day. My last words.

I summed up everything pretty much as good as I possibly could on Vin's show last night. I really think this matchup has a lot of offer. With the Patriots being favored, that has way more to do with the Brady/Belichick legacy than it does the Patriots active 53 man roster. As a whole, on paper, and given the history of the NFL and what it takes to win championships, I think the way we play defense and the success we have running the football, I really think we are in a better spot to win this matchup than New England. I think we've shown that our squad is tailor made to beat the elite quarterbacks of the league, as we've remained undefeated against Rodgers, Brady, Brees, and both Mannings in the last 3 years.

I think the Earl and Sherman injuries are potentially a factor, but not deciding factors. I don't know how effective they will be until I see them actually have to wrap up a Gronk or a Blount, but I feel given what I saw from them even after they re-entered the NFC Championship that they will be able to stand their ground, if not play at the level that they normally do.

We really have a chance to make a mark on NFL history as one of the best defenses ever, if we do indeed knock off Manning and Brady, two of the greatest, in back to back superbowls. Likewise Brady might catapult himself to perhaps the best QB/football player ever in general if he gets his fourth.

I expect this to be a Seattle dominated crowd even more-so than last year.

Like I said on the air I am just really excited to see what Bill does to try and beat us, because if there is any mastermind out there who could be our kryptonite it is Bill. How many guys he keeps in QB spy mode and how many he keeps in coverage will be huge, and I think he will go spy heavy. Offensively I think he will take the San Diego approach and utlize the screen game as much as possible. Make every series about getting in 3rd & short situations, and then throw the quick slants to pick up firsts.

Oh man. SO HYPE! :towel:

Final Prediction.

:Patriots: 23

:Seahawks: 30

MVP: Marshawn Lynch

Here's to a great game.

Espn is being brutal. Marone.

Gif-animation_meteor-striking-Earth.gif

iSTduhe.gif

:Seahawks: - 0

:patriots: - 0

:meteor: - 1

Really though, I do hope it's a good game. Final score:

:Seahawks: - 30

:patriots: - 23

:Patriots: 27

:Seahawks: 23

Edited by Sarge

Seahawks SS Kam Chancellor is active for Super Bowl XLIX.

Chancellor put a scare into the Seahawks when he departed Friday's practice early with a knee "bruise."
He's all set to face the Patriots. Seattle's inactives are QB B.J. Daniels, OT Garry Gilliam, OG Keavon Milton, C Patrick Lewis, CB Marcus Burley, WR Kevin Norwood, and DL David King.

Patriots C Bryan Stork is active for Super Bowl XLIX.

Stork missed the AFC Championship Game with a knee injury. His return is good news for New England's run game, as Stork blocks with a mean streak.
The Pats' Super Bowl inactives are RB Jonas Gray, RB James White, DE Zach Moore, WR Josh Boyce, WR Brian Tyms, OT Jordan Devey, and DT Joe Vellano.
  • Upvote 1

One team dominated but the scoreboard doesn't tell that story.

Down 10, 4 minutes to go in the 3rd. Absolutely must have a vintage Brady drive here and we can get the momentum back.