BC

SB 49 XLIX: New England Patriots @ Seattle Seahawks

that actually doesn't look far off of standard stadium pricing

anyway, for the actual game, I'm not sure that last playcall was really that bad, it's not what I would have done there (read option anyone?) but it wasn't a terrible play call, it was just terribly executed. In that scenario you're on second down looking at 26 seconds with one timeout, you could run in three times and you'd only have one more down with the clock running and you might even get a Patriots timeout to make sure they can respond if necessary, but you don't want to be that predictable, you're going to throw once to keep the defense honest. There's an issue with how easily NE read the play, I talked in the shoutbox about self-scouting and knowing what your opponent is going to be expecting, but otherwise that wasn't a horrible play design. The idea was to get Lockette, your second most productive WR in the game, open against an undrafted rookie safety on a quick slant over the middle behind a pick from Kearse, not bad odds. Problem was the pass led him a bit too far which allowed Butler to make the play, a better throw there and it's at worst incomplete. And can we give New England some credit for making the play there?

also, what nobody's pointing out about that last play is that Brandon Browner did a fantastic job handling the block from Kearse as Kearse was trying to drive him inside to obstruct Butler's path to the ball

Utterly disagree. That was the worst playcall I have ever seen given the situation. What you're missing is that it wasn't first down, it was second. It was 2nd and goal from the 1 with :26. You have a total of three plays, not four, at max. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th down. Given that scenario, you could run it on 2nd down from the goalline. Then you take a timeout if he gets stuffed. :21-:22 or so left. If you cant run the ball again, and then, assuming he gets stuffed again, and get up to the line and snap it in the :16-17 you'd have to snap the ball, then you aren't a professional football team.

Hawks can easily get all three plays off, that was a terrible awful call and it cost the Hawks the Super Bowl.

And I couldn't be more happy that Pete Carroll overthought himself, Darrell Bevell showed his true colors by throwing his WR under the bus, and the Hawks showed who they really are on defense- classless morons- with, I will grant, the notable exception of Sherman, who went over to congratuate Brady. That was utterly disagraceful and if I were a Hawks fan I'd be ashamed of the way my team acted after losing the SB.

Yes it hurts to lose like that, but you don't throw punches and act like a bunch of teenagers.

Utterly disagree. That was the worst playcall I have ever seen given the situation. What you're missing is that it wasn't first down, it was second. It was 2nd and goal from the 1 with :26. You have a total of three plays, not four, at max. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th down.

where did I say anything about four plays? my point wasn't as much about the time as not being too predictable

re-reading that, I think I see why you thought I said four plays, when I said "you could run in three times and you'd only have one more down with the clock running" the one down with the clock running was one of the three runs, not an additional down, sorry if that caused some confusion, but I did mention that it was second down

Ah okay. Bit of miscommunication there. Point stands, you can easily get 3 plays off. Just have a 3rd play called already if the second one fails.

but you're still making yourself too predictable to just line up and run it three times, and in that scenario it makes more sense to throw it while you still have the timeout in hand, bit more of a surprise that way, it was just a poorly thrown ball and a play that was too easy to read, and a good play by the opponent

The 3rd play doesn't have to be a run nor the 2nd... It just has to be called already. Run, Run, Play action to a TE? Willson didn't catch a single ball all game.

Edited by Thanatos19

That injury is pretty much why the Pats won.

Strongly disagree.

Strongly disagree.

post-37129-yeah-well-you-know-thats-just

• Upvote 1

Worrying about being predictable on the half yard line with the Super Bowl on the line is not how you want to approach calling that play or those plays (had they gotten more opportunities). That's over thinking the entire situation. You take your strength and play to it.

Plus, with the way the Malcolm read that play and jumped that route, the play Seattle called looked REALLY predictable. as it is. So even if that was their goal, they failed pretty hardcore.

It still hasn't sunk in, I am so thankful. This is the best feeling I've had since the Sox in 04. I can't believe it, after the Kearse catch I was in shock and couldn't believe another amazing catch was gonna beat us in the last minute. Then Butler who barely played all year makes the most clutch play Ive ever seen a patriot make.

So much respect for Seattle, their team is awesome. Thx for the classy post BC.

Real talk though, I really love what Belichick and Brady were able to do. 28 points, even though it was that close to not being enough, was an outstanding job against such a tough defense. It's taken this long for an elite QB to knock us off. Brady was able to do what Manning Rodgers and Brees were not able to do. I said on the radio with Vin that I thought they would be able to dink and dunk for 3rd & manageable and be right with us down to the wire. Belichick dug up the right blueprint, took the plan the Chargers used and through the short stuff to their YAC capable backs/receivers like Edelman and Vareen. Vareen especially had 11 catches. So Bill definetely remembered how efficient it was back from that Pats-Panthers superbowl when they worked Kevin Faulk out of the backfield. They had a lesser defense, a lesser running game (boy did they ever get out-rushed), but they broke the algorithm of running & defense and found a way to win by dominating the little things. I'm actually really impressed at what they did.

A statistic that stands out is that Tom Brady's QBR was significant higher than the avg QBR of Seahawks' opposing quarterbacks. Someone post that stat.

I'm not sure it's really hit me yet either, although I was at a residence in capital hill, right in the heart of downtown and was definitely anticipating getting to do an even rowdier celebration than I did last year. We had a couch all ready to burn. I definitely noticed how much it sucked when after the game we were all of course struggling with what to do with ourselves instead of go rage.

Ah well, the game was entertaining, and Jermaine Kearse will be forgotten by the NFL history books. The price of losing is high.

No way ever. He has been an absolute bargain of an UDFA out of UW right here in our back yard. Not only has he been sorely underrated, he has made countless huge game winning catches. He's not a goat or anything but his NFCCG catch last year against the 49ers, that was an incredible, game-changing play. He broke 3 or 4 tackles and glided into the end zone against the Broncos in our SB win last year. He's made countless other game-saving catches, including this year's NFCCG.

Edited by BC

For people who aren't Seahawks fans, he's just another receiver, and he'll be a fancy piece of trivia, but in a few years I doubt most fans will remember his name. People remember David Tyree and Clarence Davis for their amazing catches in the playoffs (ok maybe not Davis, but that was over 40 years ago).

thats the only meme that gets under my skin. Yeah, im a little pissed @ that :yep:

Best candid shot you'll ever see of the game winning pick...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgloErF-H2c

El Pres may have been the Pats' good luck charm in Zona this week...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUHutrtld5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcvGWvG4sLM

Also was the star of media day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng2CIsOCchE

On another note, the Pats aren't a championship team without Brandon Browner. So proud to own this man's jersey...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_raEDNlvFuw

I really feel like we could play this matchup over with an automatic injuries reset button in some fantasy world, and we would get another awesome 1 score game.

If the Seahawks brought Browner back, they are probably back to back champs... Thank goodness they didn't

If the Seahawks run Marshawn Lynch from the 1 yard line with :26 seconds left and 1 timeout, they are back to back champs, without Browner.

Hell, something else very few people are talking about is the fact that the Hawks had over a minute left after the first run by Marshawn, but they took 35 seconds to snap the ball. There would have been no time issue if they snapped it ten seconds earlier.

If the Seahawks run Marshawn Lynch from the 1 yard line with :26 seconds left and 1 timeout, they are back to back champs, without Browner.

Hell, something else very few people are talking about is the fact that the Hawks had over a minute left after the first run by Marshawn, but they took 35 seconds to snap the ball. There would have been no time issue if they snapped it ten seconds earlier.

Seahawks don't need to run Marshawn from the 1 if Tom Brady doesn't abuse Tharold Simon to the beat of 100 yards and 2 TDs. Not to mentioned, Chris Matthews probably finishes with 3000 yards.

Seahawks don't need to run Marshawn from the 1 if Tom Brady doesn't abuse Tharold Simon to the beat of 100 yards and 2 TDs. Not to mentioned, Chris Matthews probably finishes with 3000 yards.

Granted, but point is, there many many things you can point at that would result in the Hawks being SB champs. They didnt need Browner to win that game.

The Seahawks miss Thurmond way more than Browner.

The Seahawks miss Thurmond way more than Browner.

Walter Thurmond? :mjlaugh:

You can bitch about how much Browner gets flagged, but the dude is significatly important to a team's psyche/attitude. He's a flat out X-factor. The Pats had been yearning for a player of his caliber for the past decade.

Dat CFL Grit can't be taught.

• Upvote 1

The quotes this has spawned are priceless.

"To be fair, everyone in the world rushes to judgement, except for Pete Carroll, who passes to judgement, and is usually intercepted."

"I always wear my Seahawks jersey on test days because I know I'll pass when I shouldn't."

"Hey Seattle, wanna win the Super Bowl?"

"No thanks, I'll pass."

• Upvote 1

I'm sure most have seen it by now, but it has to be posted: