Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Better Call Saul Discussion

Ya know... I was really worried about this show. Bob Odenkirk is a great actor and Saul was a great character in a great show. Was there going to be any way for it to live up to the expectations? I wasn't so sure.

But I really like being wrong in this types of situations. All of the reviews were mostly positive... Saying the show was great and that it definitely stands alone (or away from Breaking Bad) on its own merit.

That is the resounding sentiment I have after episode one. This show has the potential to be a GREAT standalone project. They established a great narrative and clear direction moving forward. And that is also why I created a new thread -- because it doesn't need to be discussed within the Breaking Bad universe anymore, in my opinion. Use it or not... Whatever. :D

What are your thoughts on the show?! Episode 2 tomorrow!

Favre pls, if there's gonna be another thread that deserves a discussion thread it's Banshee. (just messing, someone seriously needs to watch it, I feel so alone and am sad it's not getting the attention it deserves.)

The next episode is tonight, btw. :p

Edited by Spartan Havoc
  • Upvote 1

What the heck is Banshee? Also, yes.. Yes it is today. Curse me and my horrible sleeping patterns. Lmao.

I really liked the first episode as well. Can't wait to see what happens in episode two with the whole

Tuco situation.

Saul was one of my favorite characters on BB, so I am enjoying watching the origin and transformation of Jimmy to Saul.

Guest Phailadelphia

Were any references to Jimmy McGill made in BB? Does anyone know?

So, I was a regrettably casual watcher of Breaking Bad, but I am going to jump in with this show since it's new. I just finished episode 1 and I love it. I figured that

the guy at the end with the gun had something to do with Breaking Bad, but I couldn't figure out who he was until Fart named him.

I'm hoping that my lack of knowledge about Breaking Bad doesn't hinder me from enjoying this show to its fullest.

Were any references to Jimmy McGill made in BB? Does anyone know?

I think Saul told Walter one time he real name was "McGill," but nothing beyond that.

Edited by SteVo

So, I was a regrettably casual watcher of Breaking Bad, but I am going to jump in with this show since it's new. I just finished episode 1 and I love it. I figured that

the guy at the end with the gun had something to do with Breaking Bad, but I couldn't figure out who he was until Fart named him.

I'm hoping that my lack of knowledge about Breaking Bad doesn't hinder me from enjoying this show to its fullest.

I won;'t know for sure, so hopefully you can keep me updated... but I don't think it will hurt your experience so much as it will add to the experience of those who really followed BB.

Episode 2 was even better than episode 1. This show is so legit.

Episode 2 was even better than episode 1. This show is so legit.

I thought the

bargaining scene with Tuco

was weird and unrealistic, but other than that I liked the episode. I already know I'm going to love this series doe.

Tuco that salsa is dried by now. Abuelita is gonna be pissed.

BIZNATCH.

• Upvote 1

I thought the

bargaining scene with Tuco

was weird and unrealistic, but other than that I liked the episode. I already know I'm going to love this series doe.

Nailed it. This was my only issue with the episode as well. ot only was it pretty unrealistic, but it was really dragged out... Like, come on. haha. But ya, great episode anyway. So good.

Weird? yes... unrealistic? I'm not so sure.....considering

Tuco is just a very erratic character

My explanation for

the bargaining scene

without vast knowledge of BB is that

it follows episode 1 in showing how McGill is going to establish himself as a lawyer. He only got $700 for representing the 3 kids in episode 1. In this episode he talks Tuco down from killing them to just breaking one leg on each guy. This is definitely a success. The irony is that McGill has his biggest success so far in the most serious situation. This is a contrast to the fact that his character is so bizarre and sometimes aloof. The way he acts in episode 1 doesn't really inspire confidence that he can talk a guy like Tuco down from killing these guys who disrespected his abuelita.

But of course I could be way off base.

Edited by Sarge

I don't know. Man this show really makes me wish I had watched all the episodes of Breaking Bad.

My only concern with the show is how long it's going to last. Things have already escalated pretty quickly in terms of the story.

Edited by Vin

Some shows just aren't built for really long runs... I am okay with that. As long as, 1) they don't make it longer after they run out of story for the cash grab or 2) it gets canceled before the story can run its course, I am totally cool with whatever length they have in store.

Nothing I hate more than a story and show i like to see it get get off after a couple seasons...

Yea I kinda got that feeling... that things have escalated quite a bit already. It makes me question the show's longevity, but it also makes me excited to see what comes next.

The lawyer montage near the end of the episode was as memorable as the meth-making montages of Breaking Bad. Love this show.

Only two or three seasons would sadden me. But then here I am complaining about the story moving too fast and them have nothing to cover later on...

Edited by Vin

The internet (mainly people who spotted the date on the check that Saul gets from the law firm) has told me that the show takes place in '02, years before BB takes place. I guess my fears are unfounded.

Not that I want to compare the two, but that may not mean anything. A year in the Walking Dead happen in like 12 minutes of the show, so... He may have even less time than you originally feared. *gasp*