Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Better Call Saul Discussion

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/breaking-bad-movie-in-the-works-1203021681/

“Breaking Bad” may have had its finale in 2013, but Variety has confirmed that series creator Vince Gilligan is working on a new film with ties to the beloved series.

Gilligan is working on a two-hour film, though whether it’s destined for multiplexes or television is unclear.

Details are sparse, with no information on what shape the movie would take — a prequel like “Better Call Saul” or something else — or whether any of “Breaking Bad’s” stars will return. The Albuquerque Journal includes a logline stating the film “tracks the escape of a kidnapped man and his quest for freedom.”

The Journal also reports the title as “Greenbriar,” though whether that’s the final title is in the air as well. Production in the Duke City is scheduled to begin mid-November through early February, according to the Journal.

“Breaking Bad,” the crime drama about a high school chemistry teacher (Bryan Cranston) who begins selling meth to secure money for his family after he’s diagnosed with terminal cancer, originally ran for five seasons on AMC. It was critically acclaimed, winning 16 Emmys and two Golden Globes.

Thinking+emoji+except+its+in+an+indian+s

• Upvote 1

I'm skeptical, but I was skeptical about Better Call Saul and that's been fantastic. If Gilligan is involved, I'll 100% give it a shot.

• Upvote 1

I'd be interested in Jessie's life after the events of Breaking Bad.

I've been re-watching Breaking Bad for the first time since it ended, though I'm only to season 2's finale. It's kinda interesting how opinions of characters can change over time.

Season 2 also isn't as good as I thought it was, either.  I kinda want to put it behind season 1 in the rankings...

Edited by Vin

No BCS again til 2020.  :welp:

Almost finished with season three of my BB re-watch.  Jesse kinda sucks.

Re-watch complete.

giphy.gif

now I can dump netflix

I still sorta wish the show ended at season four, but I guess no one likes a happy ending.

The first half of the last season feels rushed, like they had a goal in mind and they just needed to get to it instead of letting things happening naturally, but I guess that's what happens when you're under a time constraint.  Walt being a dick right off the bat doesn't jive with the end of season four, and the random ass-pull solutions from Jesse feel like just that, random and not really earned,  but whatever I guess.  Season five does have the best final three episodes of any of the seasons, so it's got that going for it.

Re-watching the series it's also sorta funny to see that we even got Better Call Saul.  There's like zero fleshing out, backstory wise, of both Saul and Mike. Mike has his cop and family stuff, which isn't much, and Saul has practically nothing.  Pretty good that you can get people to buy into a spinoff show using those characters, though maybe it's that they were fairly blank slates that makes it work.

Bring on the movie that has Jesse driving all the way to Alaska.

• Upvote 1

:shaq:

This actually feels like a movie... I dunno if I like that.

• Upvote 1

Another one.

Watched El Camino last night. As an epilogue to Breaking Bad, it was absolutely perfect. Loved it.

MAJOR SPOILERS DO NOT CLICK

I was worried they would overdo the cameos for the sake of fan service, but I think they nailed every single one. Opening scene with Mike, later scene with Walt, Old Joe, Jane. Check, check, check, check.

• Upvote 2

El Camino was awesome. Like an epic long episode of BB. Masterfully done. I know they've been making BCS, but it's like they didn't skip a beat. Picked up right where they left off without a single misstep really IMO. 

• Upvote 2

Just finished El Camino. It didn't add a ton to the story but it was really fun to watch and I'm glad they made it. Also, it reminded me how much I fucking hate Todd. 

Seems pretty good.

• Upvote 1

Feb 23. Let's goooooooo

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/better-call-saul-ending-season-6-amc-1267357

The transformation of Jimmy McGill into Saul Goodman has an end date.

AMC will bring Better Call Saul to a close with a 13-episode sixth and final season in 2021. Season five of the Breaking Bad prequel from Sony Pictures TV is set to premiere Feb. 23. 

"From the beginning when we started this, I think all our hopes and dreams were to be able to tell the whole story ... and make it to be a complete story from beginning to end," showrunner Peter Gould revealed Thursday during the show's panel at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour.  "We're going to try like hell to stick the landing of these 63 episodes."

The official word comes months after Giancarlo Esposito, who has starred in both series, said in an interview that the plan was Saul to go for six seasons. Sources told The Hollywood Reporter at the time that no endgame had been set.

"Green-lighting a prequel to one of the most iconic series in television history is one of the boldest swings that AMC has ever taken. But, thanks to the creative genius of [co-creators] Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould, it has also been one of the most rewarding,” said Sarah Barnett, president of AMC Networks Entertainment Group and AMC Studios. "It has been an absolute joy to collaborate with the extraordinarily talented team on Better Call Saul, which — five seasons in — continues to deliver some of the best storytelling and most beautifully nuanced performances on television today. We congratulate Vince, Peter, our producers, writers and cast on a remarkable run and look forward to sharing this final chapter with fans.”

The 13-episode final season for Better Call Saul will put it one episode ahead of its parent show, which ran for five seasons — the latter broken in two and aired a year apart — and 62 episodes from 2008-13. Saul will finish with 63.

The series is set several years before the events of Breaking Bad and chronicles the transformation of the essentially decent con man-turned-lawyer Jimmy McGill (Bob Odenkirk) into the sleazy persona of Saul Goodman. The show also features other Breaking Bad regulars in Esposito (meth kingpin Gus Fring) and Jonathan Banks (Fring's taciturn fixer Mike Ehrmantraut). 

Another key Breaking Bad figure, Dean Norris' Hank Schrader, will appear in the show's fifth season, as will Steven Michael Quezada as Hank's fellow DEA agent, Steven Gomez. "[Episodes] three and four are especially close to our hearts, I think it's fair to say, because we have some of our Breaking Bad family returning: Dean Norris as Hank Schrader in episodes 3 and 4, and Steven Michael Quezada," Gilligan said Thursday at the Television Critics Association press tour. "...Working with Dean and Michael again was a highlight of the season."

Still not appearing: Bryan Cranston as Walter White and Aaron Paul as Jesse Pinkman, the two central figures in Breaking Bad. Gilligan is still holding out hope, however: "I would love to see them on Better Call Saul before it ends, so who knows," he said. 

The show's fourth season ended in October 2018 with Jimmy announcing he would start practicing law under a different name, signaling his turn toward Saul. Following the season finale, co-creator Gould told THR that while the series "feels like we're closer to the end than to the beginning," he didn't have a firm ending in mind. "Before season five is over, I think we'll have a very clear idea of how much further we've got to go," he said.

Gilligan remains under an overall deal with Saul producers Sony Pictures TV, which he re-upped in 2018. Gilligan also wrote and directed sequel movie El Camino, which debuted on Netflix (to solid viewership) in October and will have its AMC debut on Feb. 16. He has also been developing (for several years) a limited series at HBO based on the Jonestown tragedy of 1978. 

With Saul and El Camino bookending the events of Breaking Bad, Gilligan has already twice expanded the original show's universe. He's not ready — yet — to go back to the well. "I always [add the] caveat of never say never, but you don't want to drive it into the ground, so I would say at this moment in time, probably not."

With Better Call Saul's end in sight, AMC's originals include the Walking Dead franchise — including a third series, World Beyond, due to premiere in the spring — NOS4A2, McMafia and anthology The Terror, along with upcoming shows Dispatches From Elsewhere, 61st Street, Kevin Can F*** Himself and an untitled sci-fi/romance anthology from Black Mirror veteran Will Bridges. The network recently canceled the little-watched critical favorite Lodge 49 and has also parted with Preacher, The Son and Into the Badlands in the past year.

I need them meaningful flashforwards.  Probably won't get any until the finale.

:fbm:

I actually figured this season would be the last. The fact that they have even more story to tell is really exciting.

And I'm with Vin. I really want those b&w flashforwards to add up to something really good.